• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Continental pushrods?

bob turner

Anybody know of a source for P030 pushrods for the small Continental that wouldn't involve a bank loan? Used serviceable is ok.

Bob, Robert Weber told me years ago that the over sized ones were made in a machine shop in Fresno. .030 and .070 over

Also, a little birdie told me that you can add a shim with a hole in it under the cup in the tappet

Glenn

SA537870 P30, .030 over and there cheaper than what I remember $33

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Got them from Colorado Air Parts brand new $30 each plus actual shipping. Mfgr wanted $110+ $33 shipping. Same part.

Glenn - did that little birdie tell you what the hole does? My impression is that oil goes up the slots in the cup to its hole, and thence out the push rod. Also - your birdie say that steel was necessary to avoid any flattening/expansion?

Turns out that P030 was not enough. Looking for P070.

Some on the J-3 site are saying that the check ball can be loosened in the lifter without removing it from the body - have I been installing my lifters upside down all these years?

We would be selling bogus parts. I think that may be asking for trouble. If you want just enough for your own use, they can be "owner produced parts." I may have cured all my current problems -test flight tomorrow.

Maybe your rocker arms have been refaced too many times? Time for new rockers.

Ok, a couple years ago I was looking at a year old Trade a plane and rockers were $53 bucks each. I called to order 8 of them and was told they only had 2 in stock and they were over $250 each. Mine work just fine.

Glenn

Glenn you just have to stay away from the NAME places, let them look at em for awhile. tons of them out there.

Yes - swapping rocker arms can occasionally lessen the gap. I seem to have extras. I do not get them refinished - maybe a mistake, but I still seem to get good service. Same with lifter bodies.

I have used the Smith pushrods in race cars.One handy product is the adjustable.It allows you to easily determine proper length.

I remember local gossip years ago about an engine teardown that had Chevrolet pushrods in it. This would have been in the early 70s but I don't remember if it was a Continental or Lycoming.

Brings back memories of adjusting the pushrods on my old panhead.
I think it was:
adjust the exhaust when the intake just closes,
and adjust the intake when the exhaust is just opening.
Or was it the other way around?
(it's still written on the side of my toolbox, damn near 30 years after I sold my scooter).

What do you want to bet Continental used automotive parts to begin with? We know Piper did. Good thing, because otherwise fuel caps would be $80 and that trim handle would be $180.

I bet the lowly Stromberg was off a tractor. I know the mags were!

What do you want to bet Continental used automotive parts to begin with? We know Piper did. Good thing, because otherwise fuel caps would be $80 and that trim handle would be $180.

I bet the lowly Stromberg was off a tractor. I know the mags were!

Bob, for a California guy you catch on real fast ;-)

Glenn

Last edited:
How many you need? I got crazy hoarding small bore continental stuff a few years ago, and the wife says I need to get rid of the stash.

"How many yellow tagged cranks do we really need in the basement" she asked me.

Got any P070? My problem was solved, but I would not mind having a couple spares for the next go -around.

Yeah - I know how the spare crankshafts go - I tried to sell a 65 for a grand, but with no takers I tore it down for a look. Found a "standard" C-85 crank in there. You never know . . .

Back