• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

I knew Ed before he was famous

brown bear

emporia ks
!

Attachments

• ei.jpg
    ei.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 343
I am not worthy!

Not very educated, but did they spell "Wanted" incorrectly on top?8)

That is a sweet flying cub!! Wish it was based close to me so I could bum rides every week.

What an issue of Sport Aviation. Got my issue in the mail today and how cool. Recognize lots of people and airplanes and quite a few illustrious characters from here. Not only Ed on the cover but a great shot of Tom and mention of Doug and his Pegazair. Super Cub in the What Members are Building section. Also lots of pictures and mention of folks I have met at different fly ins and STOL contests. I think our type of flying has made the mainstream. Could be good and bad I guess but still way cool.

Nice picture Eddy, lots of memories. All the way back to Eric’s Red River Red Neck Fly In

Charlotte, please tell Eddy that Julie and I are proud to know him...and you!

Randy

Behind every great pilot there is a women with the checkbook ...Charlotte

Speaking of classic pictures...I have a picture somewhere of Eddie in the hot seat at the Concrete Flyin a few years back...Eddie remembers

Remembering Eddie and Charlotte at the RRRN-FI. What a hoot. Not only was Eddie a blast, you should see Charlotte hypnotized. Some of the best people you can call friends! Jon

We had just returned from driving around Mexico for a couple of weeks when a friend called. I could tell it was something about a picture, but nothing else. We both had VERY BAD colds so I was sleeping a lot...and you know Eddie doesn't "type" so there were no comments from us when this "broke" until now...when I am starting to feel like I'm going to live! We didn't get our copy until last Monday. I remember going to the mailbox (remember, we live on a farm so it is out at the road) and noticing that the Sport Aviation mag was there. Then I noticed behind the rubber band that there were "colors" of our plane on the COVER of the magazine!!! What????? I immediately knew I would probably have to start paying to be able to sleep with him!! NO! NO! He's not that kind of guy.
What I do want to say that while we were on our trip, we reminisced about the good Ole fly-ins! Oh, yes, we remember the two Red River Redneck fly ins! Eric and Jimmy were such great hosts. I can remember what great breakfasts Jimmy cooked on that commercial equipment in the big building! I remember sitting with new friends, Bill and Rex Tracey, from Wray CO. We would stay with Rex and Beverly when we were on our way to Johnson Creek! I remember Mike Sharp and a broken leg and a guy who ran out of gas close to the landing area. That guy later turned out to be our good friend Steve Pierce (I haven't told that story for years, Steve!) And then Eddie's little boo boo at the second RRRN fly in: tail up taxiing...prop down ouchy! Friends bring prop, Steve installs it...off we go! Such great, great times!
Then Mike and Patty Sisemore start their fly-ins! These were the highlight of our spring. We had our place by the river and Eddie would sometimes wake people up in the morning! Such wonderful gatherings with such a huge group of great people! I still see those smiling faces, the entertainment, the meals, the visiting...and once when we landed, I had a bad tick bite. Dr. Randy prescribed an antibiotic and Patty took me to the pharmacy to get my meds! Full service!! Eddie and I feel nothing can ever replace those wonderful fly-ins!
And then, of course, there was our fateful trip to Snohomish WA via Bozeman MT where we met Jerry Gaston who guided us over the mountains. I remember the josling changing the rules for the STOL competition, the autograph I got from a guy named Jim Richman, Eddie winning the competition and meeting a Dodge dealer by the name of Mike Olson. Eddie didn't know it that day, but Mike and Bill Duncan would change his life a couple years later when Eddie was asked to fly Cuzoom to Alaska! The rest is history...and what a remarkable time. We both so value all of these memories and all of you who we have met over the last 10 to 15 years! All because of a brightly colored old Super Cub that Eddie traded a 40 acre pasture for back in 1997! It's great hearing from all of you! We love all of you!

You brought back some great memories Charolette. You should become the official Supercub.org historian

Ok, I was really expecting a 10 page Sport Aviation article, covering the life history of Ed Doyle. Not just a nice photograph on the cover.

Hopefully, the big article will be in the next issue.
Brad

Before I go to bed, I must mention a few more people who are so important in our memories! How could I have forgotten to mention Steve Johnson? From "registrations" at the RRRN fly ins when I first got to know who this man is to Johnson Creek and music under the stars to New Holstein and the HOURS/DAYS of work...and then, of course, there is this little web site that binds us all together! What a talented man...creative, intelligent, musically talented, humorous and so much more. When I can't seem to do some simple thing on the web site, I just contact Steve and he takes care of it! And Rick Papp! I will never forget the rock and roll dance at Sisemores'! I loved to dance when I was young, but that almost killed me...but GREAT fun! Eddie is no dancer! And FedEx! You are the one to count on for "the right rules for flying" which I am not always used to when flying with Eddie! And,Eaton, you need to come to Mexico with us sometime and find out how wonderful it is south of the border! I must admit the Customs people give us the most problems because sometimes Eddie tries to get homemade brooms back across the border! I'm sure this will just bring up more memories tomorrow, but this has certainly been fun! Oh, tomorrow I'll have to mention Dr. Randy and his first talks with me about some of his medical experiences! What a privilege it is to know that man!
Charlotte

Pretty sure if you take Uncle Eaton to Mexico he won't be coming back...

but he might get a taste for gruel and water:wink:

This is getting a little ridiculous, but I have a few more people to remember! Mike Stitzel just contacted Eddie because of the cover; he is one of the great guys from Valdez who rescued Eddie and Dan Wild from Kayak Island! They had the parts to get Cuzoom in the air again. And that makes me think about Wayne Mackey! Wayne and Eddie met at a picnic table at New Holstein. They started exchanging Alaska stories. That led to Eddie telling about landing at O'Malley one year and seeing a box van that had been "attack" by a run away plane. Wayne said he had actually seen it happen because his hangar was nearby! What a start to a friendship! Then there is the story of how Eddie met David Jarenson...again at a picnic table at New Holstein. David was telling Eddie about hunting in our area in Kansas. As David got closer to his hunting grounds, he asked Eddie if he knew who had a Queen Air fuselage in his backyard. Well, yes, that is Eddie's toy! David had been hunting on our side road! And Eddie is starting to plan a trip to Kamloops BC to see Bart Lalonde, master engine builder! It's been great getting messages and calls from so many people.
Charlotte

Charlotta,
You haven't mentioned the Concrete flyin when you and Ed were out west getting Cedar shakes for your house. The steaks and the beer...lots of beer and the bonfire. We ran out of wood so Marlin went and picked up some and ended up with a bunch of wicker furniture someone was throwing out. Boy does wicker burn Got a picture somewhere of Ed sitting on the wicker couch in middle of the fire...like I said...lots of beer. Good times and great memories

Oh, Mike, I remember that well! We were staying with Jerry and Becky Burr, more great people! Do they still have the Concrete fly in? Jerry is an icon in the STOL world! There were many stories about how he controlled the "weight" part of the equation when he was competing! And, Mike, do you remember the guy who would wake us up at Oshkosh with his trumpet-playing in the morning! I don't think the fly ins that Eddie went to in east Tennessee are held anymore either.
Charlotte

Back