• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

What Kind of Cub Fuel Tank Is This?

stknrddr

Greenville (north east), Wi. U.S.A.
I am hoping to learn more about the fuel tanks shown in the photos below. I am considering to use these in my experimental Cub, however I'd like to learn more about these prior to committing. I know nothing about these including the manufacturer. If these pass a leak test, I'll consider using them, and I will need to figure out how to install them. I set one of them in place on my wing (photo below). The tanks fit nicely, and they have the tube for the aileron balance cable and the tube for the diagonal brace member. I did a quick calculation, and they appear to be 24 gallon tanks. I'm assuming these might be secured in place using straps with a turn buckle of sorts, however there is not much room. I will appreciate any information regarding all of the above.
Thank you,
IMG_7301.JPG
IMG_7299.jpg
IMG_7302.JPG
thank you,
john

Attachments

• IMG_7301.JPG
    IMG_7301.JPG
    188.9 KB · Views: 213
  • IMG_7299.jpg
    IMG_7299.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 173
  • IMG_7302.JPG
    IMG_7302.JPG
    209.7 KB · Views: 184
it NOT an Atlee tank, no lips for mounting.... kinda similar though.... almost looks like what came with BackCountry kit....

Maybe I should have mentioned that these are aluminum and they are 29" across, 34" long, with an average height of about 5-1/2", which translates to 24 gallons. There is no indication that tabs were attached.

Similar to BCSC but the fillers are different. And I don't recall stitch welds at the baffles on mine.

My fillers were so low I had to have Atlee's make filler risers.

IMG_5016.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_5016.JPG
    IMG_5016.JPG
    377 KB · Views: 156
Mike,
Thanks, this looks right. Do you know if the straps are simply straps, or is there a beam of sorts along the bottom to suspend the tank, and do you know how the upper strap is tightened? I appreciate it
john

attachment.php

"here's how they were mounted/straps"

Mike,
Thanks, this looks right. Do you know if the straps are simply straps, or is there a beam of sorts along the bottom to suspend the tank, and do you know how the upper strap is tightened? I appreciate it
john

attachment.php

"here's how they were mounted/straps"

bottoms were a U channel if i remember right,

top strap hinged at front/top, rear of top strap went down to bottom strap and was screwed to it with an allen head bolt

i would say smith cub or javeron which turned into BCC, looks like the ones i used in my exp cubs for the headerless fuel system. 24 gal

Looks like a Smith Cub tank to me. Used aluminum straps with sections of hinge to hold in. Very heavy and the straps break at the hinge in an accident popping the tank out.

Back