• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Pets in flight

skywagon8a

SE Mass MA6
This picture on the home page raises a question in my mind beyond the fact that the dog appears to be having a great time flying his Cub. This is a great picture.

2017SCIA_134.jpg

What goes through pet's minds when we take them for airplane rides? Can they enjoy looking at the scenery? Are they afraid? Does the noise and vibration bother them? Are they just putting up with us or are they enthusiastically as we do, enjoying the ride? The dog in this picture looks as though he is bored just looking at the lower instrument panel monitoring the oil pressure, being an obedient "man's best friend" while thinking to himself "Can we go home now?".

I think he's just saying, "I'm with him. Wherever he goes, I'm goin'."

Most of my dogs were like that in one way or another. If I was getting on/in something that moved, the dogs wanted on too--boat, airplane, pickup truck, golf scooter--the enduro motorcycle got a little awkward with a 35 pound mutt sitting on the gas tank, though.

This guy is definitely interested in what's going on outside..... He knew there was scat to be found where ever we stopped......

Alvin_Looking.jpg

Attachments

• Alvin_Looking.jpg
    Alvin_Looking.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 1,374
Kinley loves to go. Truck, plane boat... doesn’t matter. In the plane? She loves to leave town but isn’t as happy to return. To put her mutt muffs on at Lake Hood the hardest part is avoiding her tongue as she tries to lick my face. Happy girl. Loading up to come home? She lays down under the tail and stares at me as I call her to get in.

IMG_0116.JPG

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    663.7 KB · Views: 247
That would be Lenny Bruce, who has tons of time in the Cubs. I have spent some quality time sitting and chatting with Lenny and can confirm he loves to fly, loves to eat, loves to play and loves to sleep. I have also observed that he has a range of emotions that border on displeasure if his Personal Pilot doesn't take him flying.

Our animal companions provide so much and ask for so little. And they love to ride in just about anything that will make a bit of noise, place wind in their faces and joy in their hearts. Just like us.

This picture on the home page raises a question in my mind beyond the fact that the dog appears to be having a great time flying his Cub. This is a great picture.

2017SCIA_134.jpg

What goes through pet's minds when we take them for airplane rides? Can they enjoy looking at the scenery? Are they afraid? Does the noise and vibration bother them? Are they just putting up with us or are they enthusiastically as we do, enjoying the ride? The dog in this picture looks as though he is bored just looking at the lower instrument panel monitoring the oil pressure, being an obedient "man's best friend" while thinking to himself "Can we go home now?".

One of my pups, an Australian Shepherd female grew up in a Cub. From a little furball to 14.5 years she would get in happlily and lay down and sleep.

Another pup, half Husky-1/4 Border Collie-1/4 Aussie Shepherd, watched outside the whole time and spotted moose before I did usually. He was 6 months before he got a plane ride. Almost never slept in that plane.

Both of em wore out and are gone. I miss em still.

I blew it with my dog on a sled ride when she was very young... she is not much for motor rigs. But if she sees a rifle, or me loading the boat, she is right there ready to go.

The plane same thing- not the happiest, but would rather go than get left- especially if you load a firearm. I did learn to build her a platform where she can lay and look outside. 4 hour leg one time, she stayed calm and enjoyed the scenery for 3.5 hours, then had to go to the bathroom so got restless. Better than most of my hunting partners.

Rip on the other hand, Lyn's dog, is a Grade A Motorhead. There is not a machine (other than an airplane) that he is not willing to hop on and help operate. He has even been known to jump into unattended excavators and take them for a drive; (laid down on the pedals and almost walked it into a ditch). I did not take the time to condition him to planes until he was about two, then just put him in and went flying. Now he is ok, but still nervous.

Best thing going are Mutt Muffs, or any kind of ear protection. We use it on both dogs in the airplane- really helps!

My two Border Collies aren’t huge fans of flying but they put up with it. I think they hate the mutt muffs worse than the plane ride itself.

But, they’d much rather deal with the ride than get left behind, haha.

I need to take them on some special trips to places they can run and play to try and make airplane rides more exciting for them.

All of the dogs that I’ve had want to go in the airplane. Most would sleep after 15 minutes or so. Thirty years ago one dog was really into it. She Seemed to get a big kick out of looking down at flying birds. It wasn’t because she wanted to get them she was a search dog and she knew that she wasn’t supposed to go after birds. She lived to work and would ride anything including airplanes,boats,helicopters, hovercraft, airboats, ski lifts, although the Chesapeake in her would come out and she would prefer to ride the bowwave of the canoe instead of being in the canoe. She was always looking out the window flying. Maybe she was trying to cheat and use her eyes ahead of time instead of using her nose on the ground.

The mini Aussie we have...Piper.... had plenty of time in a Maule and a cub by the time she was 10 weeks old. She was bred by Bushwheel Gal Nicole Winn and I first met our Aussie in Johnson Creek with the litter of 4 week olds. A month or so later I met up with our weaned pup in New Holstein. She spent the few days then jumped in Miss Daisy for the ride home to New Hampshire. She liked standing up in the back seat with her paws over my shoulders. She really stared outside the airplane. She was supposed to be Jen's dog but you never know who a dog will take to. I have left her out of the flying as she does not heed well but with Molly gone was thinking of giving it a shot again. She has gotten somewhat pudgy but we will see.

I tolerate flying to get somewhere fun!ECA545EB-9B39-4A01-8BCA-0AE2069C4D22.jpg

Attachments

• ECA545EB-9B39-4A01-8BCA-0AE2069C4D22.jpg
    ECA545EB-9B39-4A01-8BCA-0AE2069C4D22.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 202
Many years ago we were flying from Kansas City to NW Kansas in my friends Baron for pheasant hunting with two Goldens. We still laugh at how one of the dogs was just looking out the window in solid IFR for 1 1/2 hours. You just have to wonder what are they thinking.

Now we take our two Goldens in the 180 for trips into Canada. One loves it, the other tolerates the inconvenience of the whole matter. I've tried the mutt muffs, but both dogs end up peeling them back. So, I use those foam ear plugs; being careful not to push them in too far. They seem to work pretty darn good.

My beagle boys loved it. Both died of cancer though ... now we got two rescued beagle girls - not rated on type yet ...
36b63d4f7d085a25d75e61fc8710b032.jpg
5c2bb054c53e1c94dceddcf0af133f80.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

My wife's cat. She loved to travel. This was taken enroute to Reklaw. The cat preferred to stay at the bottom of the mummy bag, during the late Fall camping trips.
20171114_125011_1545708526355.jpg

Attachments

• 20171114_125011_1545708526355.jpg
    20171114_125011_1545708526355.jpg
    412.3 KB · Views: 188
Katie was always ready for a ride; boat, plane, truck,...it didn't matter. She figured out how to get in the floatplane by herself. She'd watch outside for a while, then usually curl up and sleep.

P9141246.JPG

Attachments

• P9141246.JPG
    P9141246.JPG
    255.9 KB · Views: 200
Back