Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Thread: Used To Much When It Was New

  1. #1
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,658
    Post Thanks / Like

    Used To Much When It Was New

    Friend I use to work with use to say that a lot when we found something wore slap ass out. Thought this trim pulley handle bracket that I cut out today fit that definition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181213_173533.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	40286
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  2. #2
    behindpropellers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    NE Ohio
    Posts
    6,692
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Friend I use to work with use to say that a lot when we found something wore slap ass out. Thought this trim pulley handle bracket that I cut out today fit that definition.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181213_173533.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	40286

    Must have been a vero cub. Pull out the bolt in the alternator and replace it while you are at it.

    Tim

  3. #3
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    1979 model. Seen the same thing in a few hundred hours on earlier Airframes fuselages.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  4. #4
    supercub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Posts
    779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like a window handle for a 69 Chev Camero. I just bought a trim handle for $10 plus shipping, that looks the same as the original J-3 cub handle. Found it online at a old car distributor.

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Platinum
    Posts
    248
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is one of my favorite sayings...also...”things don’t wear out, people just get tired of fixing them”


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
    Likes Steve Pierce, Olibuilt, FdxLou, super stol liked this post

  6. #6
    Iflylower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Sweet trim crank. Takes me back to when auto windows were human powered.
    Likes RaisedByWolves liked this post

  7. #7
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    That is what Piper ued on the late 70s airplanes. Guess they ran out of the model A Ford stock.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes Iflylower liked this post

  8. #8
    Iflylower's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Memphis, TN
    Posts
    1,350
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    That is what Piper ued on the late 70s airplanes. Guess they ran out of the model A Ford stock.
    Well, NAPA and Autozone are cheaper than Univair. No complaints here.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Elizabeth, WV
    Posts
    524
    Post Thanks / Like
    It looks like the "grease worms" got it. You can often hear their crying, growling, and squealing as they devour that delicious metal.
    You can't get there from here. You have to go over yonder and start from there.

  10. #10
    Rick Papp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bristolville, Ohio
    Posts
    734
    Post Thanks / Like
    One of my favorite sayings from my old timer aircraft mechanic was “Good enough for who it’s for who it’s for”.
    Never stay level!!!!!
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

  11. #11
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    More better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181207_174438.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	40305
    .125" 4130 plate drilled and reamed instead of the folded over .060" mild steel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181213_173630.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	40306

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181214_173840.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	40307
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes CamTom12 liked this post

  12. #12
    Rick Papp's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Bristolville, Ohio
    Posts
    734
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ya much gooder!
    Never stay level!!!!!

  13. #13
    supercub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Posts
    779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Steve, did you have to cut the fabric to get the pin out? How did you weld so close to the fabric? Looks like the primer is wearing thin on the tubing. Nice fix.

  14. #14
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,658
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Steve, did you have to cut the fabric to get the pin out? How did you weld so close to the fabric? Looks like the primer is wearing thin on the tubing. Nice fix.
    I cut the tabs off. Will have to cut a hole to get the new pin in. Will use the Oratex for the patch. Works great patching the wing root fairing stub I cut off installing Performance STOL flaps. That tube sit well aboard of the fabric, stringer is right there. The primer is pretty good for 1979 unrestored airplane living in New Mexico. Mainly dirt and over spray.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181215_091652.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	125.5 KB 
ID:	40312

    Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  15. #15
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,627
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    .... The primer is pretty good for 1979 unrestored airplane living in New Mexico. Mainly dirt and over spray...
    We refer to that as a "protective crust".
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

  16. #16
    supercub's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Posts
    779
    Post Thanks / Like
    Since we're talking trim system, and I'm just installing mine, and want to confirm that I have it right. Which way does the stab move when trimming nose down? or nose up? Just want to make sure I have the cables run correctly. Thanks

  17. #17
    Eddie Foy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Location
    South Florida
    Posts
    3,410
    Post Thanks / Like
    Leading edge up-trim down
    Leading edge down-trim up
    "Put out my hand and touched the face of God!"

  18. #18
    WhiskeyMike's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    West Boxford MA
    Posts
    875
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Since we're talking trim system, and I'm just installing mine, and want to confirm that I have it right. Which way does the stab move when trimming nose down? or nose up? Just want to make sure I have the cables run correctly. Thanks
    Look at it as if it is an elevator. That will confirm the direction. (leading edge down means nose up)
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

  19. #19
    www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    chugiak AK
    Posts
    10,345
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by supercub View Post
    Since we're talking trim system, and I'm just installing mine, and want to confirm that I have it right. Which way does the stab move when trimming nose down? or nose up? Just want to make sure I have the cables run correctly. Thanks
    start with the front pulley, there is ONLY ONE way to do it so the cables don't rub each other, then hook up the back, if it's backwards ONLY change the back at trim screw.

  20. #20

    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Meanwhile,...
    Posts
    5,003
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    More better.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181207_174438.jpg 
Views:	583 
Size:	123.0 KB 
ID:	40305
    .125" 4130 plate drilled and reamed instead of the folded over .060" mild steel.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181213_173630.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	114.8 KB 
ID:	40306

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181214_173840.jpg 
Views:	590 
Size:	111.4 KB 
ID:	40307
    If you're really creative you can center it back up and then push a bushing into the wallowed out tab for a temp fix.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •