• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Used To Much When It Was New

Steve Pierce

BENEFACTOR
Graham, TX
Friend I use to work with use to say that a lot when we found something wore slap ass out. Thought this trim pulley handle bracket that I cut out today fit that definition.
IMG_20181213_173533.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181213_173533.jpg
    IMG_20181213_173533.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 366
Looks like a window handle for a 69 Chev Camero. I just bought a trim handle for $10 plus shipping, that looks the same as the original J-3 cub handle. Found it online at a old car distributor.

Is one of my favorite sayings...also...”things don’t wear out, people just get tired of fixing them”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

It looks like the "grease worms" got it. You can often hear their crying, growling, and squealing as they devour that delicious metal.

One of my favorite sayings from my old timer aircraft mechanic was “Good enough for who it’s for who it’s for”.

More better.
IMG_20181207_174438.jpg
.125" 4130 plate drilled and reamed instead of the folded over .060" mild steel.
IMG_20181213_173630.jpg

IMG_20181214_173840.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181207_174438.jpg
    IMG_20181207_174438.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 1,981
  • IMG_20181213_173630.jpg
    IMG_20181213_173630.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,954
  • IMG_20181214_173840.jpg
    IMG_20181214_173840.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 1,980
Steve, did you have to cut the fabric to get the pin out? How did you weld so close to the fabric? Looks like the primer is wearing thin on the tubing. Nice fix.

Steve, did you have to cut the fabric to get the pin out? How did you weld so close to the fabric? Looks like the primer is wearing thin on the tubing. Nice fix.
I cut the tabs off. Will have to cut a hole to get the new pin in. Will use the Oratex for the patch. Works great patching the wing root fairing stub I cut off installing Performance STOL flaps. That tube sit well aboard of the fabric, stringer is right there. The primer is pretty good for 1979 unrestored airplane living in New Mexico. Mainly dirt and over spray.
IMG_20181215_091652.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_20181215_091652.jpg
    IMG_20181215_091652.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 240
Since we're talking trim system, and I'm just installing mine, and want to confirm that I have it right. Which way does the stab move when trimming nose down? or nose up? Just want to make sure I have the cables run correctly. Thanks

Since we're talking trim system, and I'm just installing mine, and want to confirm that I have it right. Which way does the stab move when trimming nose down? or nose up? Just want to make sure I have the cables run correctly. Thanks

Look at it as if it is an elevator. That will confirm the direction. (leading edge down means nose up)

start with the front pulley, there is ONLY ONE way to do it so the cables don't rub each other, then hook up the back, if it's backwards ONLY change the back at trim screw.

This is my trim pulley. The handle is wobbly on the bolt, square hole on a round peg. Do I need all new or just the correct pulley? I don’t use trim much at all, but want it to be legal.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Have never seen a phenolic trim pulley in a Super Cub. Depending on the serial number if it is single groove or double groove but all I have worked on were aluminum.

The new Univair trim handles are really nice. The hole is no longer square but round and fits very tightly on the shaft. Very nice billet aluminum construction too. I'm not saying your old trim handle won't work but if you have the money the Univair one is a nice upgrade if you don't like the feel of the old one.

Thanks. I’m getting a new pulley. The phenolic just doesn’t look right and the groove looks homemade. I’ll look at the handles too.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Good call. I had endless issues with the trim slipping in my J3 until I changed both the front and rear pulleys. Nice fresh pulleys are a cheap way to get a great feeling trim system. Of course the -18 trim system is different so make sure you're getting the right pulleys. Like Steve said, that one you pictured looks like a single groove J3/PA-11/PA-12 type pulley not a double groove PA-18 pulley. If that's the case you may have something odd going on with your trim system.

The new Univair trim handles are really nice. The hole is no longer square but round and fits very tightly on the shaft. Very nice billet aluminum construction too. I'm not saying your old trim handle won't work but if you have the money the Univair one is a nice upgrade if you don't like the feel of the old one.
Do you have a link or pic of the newer handle? I’m just finding what looks like the old window handle marked up 1000%.

IMG_9960.jpg

Hopefully that's big enough. It's just a screen grab from a video I had on my phone. They look like a classic trim crank but are new manufacture, not an old window crank.

I got a chance to check out a new Dakota trim crank kit a friend is installing on his cub today. VERY nicely made and very reasonably priced as well. The kit I saw was complete with pulley, crank pin, and all the hardware as well as a really nice trim decal and he said it was about the same price as the Univair crank handle alone. Definitely something to look into.

Attachments

• IMG_9960.jpg
    IMG_9960.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 98
Back