Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: North East Winter Fun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A very stick puppy View Post
    I stopped in at a local shop that all the ice fishermen hang out at. Oddly enough I met a guy that was doing a lot of the work on the ice palace - said he watched Jeff pull in last week. They are cautioning that the ice from the ice palace toward town to the west will vary from 14" to 4" at any given time. As Cruiser and High Time Cub pointed out, the thinnest ice is along the river channel as it is continually moving. They all suggested that the best ice will be on the western shore north of the narrows (marina area) toward the ice palace. As Peter posted, there are several dark spots sporadically all over the lake. You might want to give this trip some thought.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of places to get into trouble this year with the up and down temps, rain then snow the rain again. Thanks Peter

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by A very stick puppy View Post
    I stopped in at a local shop that all the ice fishermen hang out at. Oddly enough I met a guy that was doing a lot of the work on the ice palace - said he watched Jeff pull in last week. They are cautioning that the ice from the ice palace toward town to the west will vary from 14" to 4" at any given time. As Cruiser and High Time Cub pointed out, the thinnest ice is along the river channel as it is continually moving. They all suggested that the best ice will be on the western shore north of the narrows (marina area) toward the ice palace. As Peter posted, there are several dark spots sporadically all over the lake. You might want to give this trip some thought.
    Unfortunately there are a lot of places to get into trouble this year with the up and down temps, rain then snow the rain again. Thanks Peter

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Poor Joe stopped in this morning.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RaisedByWolves View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is just too cool

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Mark Keneston
    Cub Crafters
    Northeast Reagion Sales
    Ballston Spa, NY
    Likes JP liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff just left Saranac Lake and said there is plenty of ice up there. I think I'm heading to Stuart's & John's for breakfast. Whats everones thoughts on going?

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Jeff just left Saranac Lake and said there is plenty of ice up there. I think I'm heading to Stuart's & John's for breakfast. Whats everones thoughts on going?

Glenn
    If you get a gaggle together and need any ground support while in Saranac Lake, give me a shout. Just donít share this number with telemarketers...... 315-250-4428.

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Ken Cornell

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ken. Looks like we are heading to Stuart's & John's Sunday morning for breakfast. Got 4 ready to go so far and will see who shows up. 9:3

Glenn
    Likes A very stick puppy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Thanks Ken. Looks like we are heading to Stuart's & John's Sunday morning for breakfast. Got 4 ready to go so far and will see who shows up. 9:3

Glenn
    You're welcome to drop in on a wingless birdman at 66VT for lunch.

From Genesis: "And God promised men that good and obedient wives would be
    found in all corners of the earth."

Then he made the earth round... and He laughed and laughed and laughed!

Post Thanks / Like
    We we're heading to NH but we were fogged in till 1. Warmed up to 50 and that beautiful powder we had yesterday turned into soup. First try I couldn't get above 5 mph and was happy it turned around and I made it back to the hangar. Got the sled out and tried packing it down and tried again, only used 800' to get airborne

Lake Desolation

Tinneys wood fired chicken wing pizza, yum

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-03-2019 at 03:30 PM.
    Likes jrussl, JP, yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Flew over to see my 85 yo buddy Ray.

We talked too long, getting dark

My $28 light works great

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-04-2019 at 08:31 PM.
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Out in Greenville, PA and can't believe the WX here. 62* and no snow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	41293

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Out in Greenville, PA and can't believe the WX here. 62* and no snow.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3035.JPG 
Views:	64 
Size:	154.0 KB 
ID:	41293
    Tom, was 58 here

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Stay off the Saranac River ice. It is impossible to predict where there is ice or where there is not ice on a flowing river.
    Even for the locals, Lake Flower ice can be sketchy: ďSo the village bought an ice saw with a big motor; they took pictures of local leaders posing with this new saw. Everything looked good until the saw fell in the lake.Ē

https://www.northcountrypublicradio.org/news/story/37929/20190130/tri-lakes-takes-gearing-up-for-winter-carnival-in-saranac-lake?utm_source=NCPR+Daily+2019%2F01%2F30&utm_camp aign=NCPRDaily190130&utm_medium=email

Meanwhile, the venerable "air cooled" Duso ice saw is still going strong.

HT & V

Post Thanks / Like
    Just drove back to our place and there isnt any snow cover from the herkimer hill west, reasonably covered east of there. We still have 6-8" on our airport but may be slushy, haven't been out on it yet. New wings for Matt's Pacer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3038.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	41319.
    Likes Steve Pierce liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Just drove back to our place and there isnt any snow cover from the herkimer hill west, reasonably covered east of there. We still have 6-8" on our airport but may be slushy, haven't been out on it yet. New wings for Matt's Pacer.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3038.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	232.6 KB 
ID:	41319.
    You have a steady job with all his airplanes

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Best job I've ever had.

Post Thanks / Like
    Any of you New York fellas know where I could land and get a fishing license. Iím headed old forge way tomorrow from northern vt. Something lake side, thanks

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    I would look for a bait shop in Tuper lake, they usually sell lic.'s and big ice fishing lake.

Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-09-2019 at 06:38 PM.
    Thanks DJG thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks, didnít realize it could be printed out.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like Bald Mountain Camps(Rangeley, ME) fly-in is on for today since no one showed up yesterday. Couple of us will probably stop by around noon. Yesterdays fly-in was originally scheduled for 12-4, so I assume the hours are the same for today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AAB6DADD-63B4-42AD-B48A-FE5E7D32FD47.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	41445
    Missed BMC and the Bowman ski fly in again this year the weather never seems to cooperate. Landing on Sebois lake Sunday with 30mph groundspeed. Tom when are we going Nicatous?
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by a.crane View Post

Name:	AAB6DADD-63B4-42AD-B48A-FE5E7D32FD47.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	41445
    Missed BMC and the Bowman ski fly in again this year the weather never seems to cooperate. Landing on Sebois lake Sunday with 30mph groundspeed. Tom when are we going Nicatous?
    Was trying to go last weekend but didnít make it. Hopefully soon. They say that there is 2ft of ice infront of the camp

Likes a.crane liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Was a *tad* bit windy and bumpy in Maine all weekend. Snowmobile trails are superb in the Katahdin region despite the last two mid-week warmups and rain storms. Nice storm scheduled to arrive this evening into tomorrow which should bring some decent snow into the region. 6"-10" forecast.
    JP Russell--The Cub Therapist
    1947 PA-11 Cub Special
    www.bloomerrussellbeaupain.com

Post Thanks / Like
    David is planning on his annual Twitchell Lake ski BBQ this coming weekend. Will let you know on Friday if it's going to be on Saturday or Sunday. Might do an overnight in his camp if anyone wants to.

Glenn
    Thanks NC2252M, algonquin thanked for this post
    Likes Poor Joe liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't know it it has always been there and I just noticed, or if it's new, but NOAA's snow cover page has a map of estimated ice thickness at the bottom.

https://www.weather.gov/nerfc/snow

@kestrel had this brilliant idea to improve the Bearhawk skis, so we are still on wheels for the winter.
    Emilie

Airplane: Blue RV-4
    Read my flying trips
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just a headsup on snow in Northern Maine and ice conditions. We just got 14" of snow here at East Grand Lake, 35 miles east of Nicatous. Ice here is 28" . I just returned from Churchill Lk day before the storm, snow in woods is to top of my belt, 34" of ice. Pleasent n Spider both have 2/3 ft of windblown drifted snow before this storm. This area drifted some, but west side of any point on the lakes are
    Usually good, protected from that big NE wind we had .......... Beautiful ski flying this morning !

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by TurboBeaver View Post
    Just a headsup on snow in Northern Maine and ice conditions. We just got 14" of snow here at East Grand Lake, 35 miles east of Nicatous. Ice here is 28" . I just returned from Churchill Lk day before the storm, snow in woods is to top of my belt, 34" of ice. Pleasent n Spider both have 2/3 ft of windblown drifted snow before this storm. This area drifted some, but west side of any point on the lakes are
    Usually good, protected from that big NE wind we had .......... Beautiful ski flying this morning !

Earle you need more friends flying with you to provide video footage and make us all jealous of the snow depth. C'mon now.
    Likes kestrel liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmboy View Post
    Earle you need more friends flying with you to provide video footage and make us all jealous of the snow depth. C'mon now.
    I hear ya. Maybe Tom/Andy will show up over here? I certainly got plenty of room for em. Just out looking for Coyotes this morning. Lots of action around. We are ice fishing at the lodge this weekend for big "WhitePerch" fry......... Combo Venision
    fry. So should be fun.

Likes Farmboy, cruiser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Earl
    i have the opposite problem down here. Miles of nice dang beaches, but half the country is down here as well,
    and they walk on the beaches. Most of them have little use for a fat tire plane trying to use it too. They tend to call the
    local Authorities. When I have found an island with no one around, it ends up being a national wildlife refuge
    Then when I find a deserted beach on an island in the middle of nowhere my pewter blonde in the back
    is wailing something about landing on a postage stamp. Save me some snow, will be back next week
    Going to a BBQ on Sat with 10 other Carbon Cubs, that should be fun to see who can pee the furthest

Name:	DA5FF867-7869-497C-A0E1-9819C2F4EB42.jpeg 
Views:	96 
Size:	270.3 KB 
ID:	41522

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Earl
    i have the opposite problem down here. Miles of nice dang beaches, but half the country is down here as well,
    and they walk on the beaches. Most of them have little use for a fat tire plane trying to use it too. They tend to call the
    local Authorities. When I have found an island with no one around, it ends up being a national wildlife refuge
    Then when I find a deserted beach on an island in the middle of nowhere my pewter blonde in the back
    is wailing something about landing on a postage stamp. Save me some snow, will be back next week
    Going to a BBQ on Sat with 10 other Carbon Cubs, that should be fun to see who can pee the furthest

Should be plenty left! Way over 4' now NW of Ashland. Bout 3' in woods here.
    Lol on the postage stamp! Lets hook up when you get back from the white beaches and string bikinis
    E

Thanks flynlow thanked for this post

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Earl

stay away from nudist beaches??? where`s the BBQ Sat ??? maybe a "salute" fly-by---Capt Cub

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub

Post Thanks / Like
    John

its a grass strip just south if Placid Lake FL airport

im not sure how smooth it is. I will buy the smoke oil if you show up and let your hair down

Jim
    Likes A very stick puppy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    John

its a grass strip just south if Placid Lake FL airport

im not sure how smooth it is. I will buy the smoke oil if you show up and let your hair down

Jim
    Like he needs any help doing that.

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Twitchell Lake Flyin is Sunday around noon. Probably meet at Speculator for breakfast first

https://earth.app.goo.gl/?apn=com.go...8509299h,0t,0r

Glenn

Post Thanks / Like
    Yesterday, in the rain

Glenn
    Likes TurboBeaver liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    looks like a 1970 Skidoo

Post Thanks / Like
    Jeff's brother had a little gathering at his camp on Black Creek Lake.

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 02-16-2019 at 06:12 PM.
    Likes yellowbird69 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 180+cubs View Post
    looks like a 1970 Skidoo

Glenn