Thread: Trick Air Ski Plane fly-in at Jackson Seaplane Base McGregor, MN set for January 26th, 2019

Post Thanks / Like

Trick Air Ski Plane fly-in at Jackson Seaplane Base McGregor, MN set for January 26th, 2019

4th year and hoping we have the same weather we had last year.

We are still working on details at this point but we already have 7 inches of ice on the lake so we should be a go on that aspect.

If you are looking to come up on Friday and/or stay over on Saturday Big Sandy Lodge is the next lake over. Here is a link to them:

https://www.bigsandylodgeandresort.com/ their phone is 218-426-5040

We will have snow and runway information as we get closer to the date.

Mogas is available on the lake at Horseshoe Lake Inn on the northeast corner of the lake.

For advanced planning we are MN61 and we are about 8 miles NE of KHZX which has 100LL and tie downs.

More news to come......

Post Thanks / Like
    Wait a minute... you are not going to put 43 people up in your house again?

Tony and I have it on the calendar!

sj
    "Often Mistaken, but Never in Doubt"
    ------------------------------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Couple weeks to go.

Snow report:

We had about 2 feet of snow post Christmas followed this week by a warm up. That means what was there has likely collapsed and is pretty firm. Good news for packing a ski runway and bad news for plowing an ice runway. We will work with what we have and see how packed we can get it over the coming weeks. Stay tuned.

Food:

Thanks to our friends at Trick Air we have a food vendor this year. For once you can land your ski plane and not have to eat chili!! Horseshoe Lake Inn will be catering and Trent the head chef says he will knock our socks off with a menu.

Warm Up:

We will be hosting our "meeting of the minds" event Friday night (helps take the pressure off to have the grand finale first). As usual we will be at the Horseshoe Inn for dinner and some refreshments. All are welcome.

Door Prizes and Swag Bags:

If your business would like any items in the event please get them to me ASAP. I include any relevant product information in the swag bags and door prizes and swag is always appreciated.

Paul
    612-963-1655
    Paul@Flightline.tv
    Thanks marcusofcotton thanked for this post
    Likes tbone, C130jake liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    A group of us tried to get to Horseshoe Lake this weekend but weather turned us back at the north end of Mille Lacs. Snow at Twin Pines was pretty crappy with lots of ice and not too much powder to work with. I will get to the lake early in the week and see what I have to work with and get to getting the place set for arrivals. I will advise on ski runway, tundra tire arrivals, and chance we can get a surface ready for little tire guys as soon as I can.

Check here or I also have a Jackson Seaplane Base page up on Facebook now. Trick Air also will have updates on their fly in page.

I will have power available this year for overnight aircraft. Please bring a 100 ft cord and I will get you plugged in.

Paul
    612-963-1655
    Paul@Flightline.tv
    Likes marcusofcotton, C130jake, N85HY liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Wheel runway plowed and ready...Menu finalized

OK arrived at the base yesterday and began to get it set up.

Snow and runway conditions:

About a foot to 18 inches of powder with a crusty base. It does not pack really well but I will drag and hit the ski area with snowmobile and it should set up fine and be a very solid ski surface. The good news is it plowed really well and we have a very nice wide 2500 foot plowed surface that is about 50 wide. We are forecast to have light winds out of about 310 degrees so we plowed in that direction. There is a parallel taxiway that leads to a very large ramp area for parking for wheeled guys.

Forecast:

It is looking to be cold. High on Saturday is about 5 degrees here. We should have light winds which will help. It looks to be VFR with partly cloudy skies in the morning moving to overcast later. We will have electricity for engine heaters and we also will have a portable pre-heat available.

Food and Door prizes

We will be in the hangar like years past. Heat is from portable propane to make it comfortable but dress warm as we can only get it so warm. We have swag bags for arriving aircraft and also a few door prizes. The event is being catered by Horseshoe Inn and the head Chef there is bringing his smoker over. His menu is below:

Smoked pork butt (pulled) sandwiches
    Smoked turkey sandwiches
    Mac n Cheese with hickory smoked bacon
    Cowboy styled baked beans

Food is compliments of Trick AIr skis.

We will be ready to accept arrivals after first light. We will have fires outside (away from aircraft areas) to warm up.

Happy hour and dinner at the Horseshoe Inn on Friday night. All are welcome to attend. We have ramp space available for overnight aircraft with plug ins. I am full up but Big Sandy Lodge is just up the road.

Call or text with questions.

Runway
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 width.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	148.8 KB 
ID:	41102

Ramp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2019 Ramp.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	171.9 KB 
ID:	41103
    Likes WindOnHisNose liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    What’s the nearest airport?
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    McGregor...Iverson KHZX...about 5 SW has fuel....if you land there make a pass and call for pick up on 122.9....we can come get you asap

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Traffic looks like we will be landing to NW. 122.90 for traffic and ice runway guys roll to end use turn around to enter parallel taxi way back to ramp area and we have parking folks there to help you. Wind is huffing to about 30 today so we will have to plow again. Ski runway is very nice with some crossing spots that are bumpy from snowmobiles....we will drag and have pine boughs on the ski runway. We are parking ski planes on south side nose into runway. Frosty but good weather.

Post Thanks / Like
    Just arrived back to base in 180. It is cold but we have a good set up for cold ops. The menu had a slab of Prime Rib added to bait the masses into braving the cold.

We will have some strategic placed bon fires going and the hangar is going to be heated up to a bearable temp. Light winds are forecast so we should be able to tough it out.

Bad news is we had to cancel the Supercub.org sponsored male wet T-shirt contest and we have delayed the Top Gun inspired shirtless volleyball match between the Super Cub pilots and Cessna and Husky drivers to the afternoon. Bring your A game.
    Likes WindOnHisNose, flynlow liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just saw this morning that taking snow bikini (snowkini) pictures is the new rage....

Post Thanks / Like
    Steve I plan to be there to take your picture in your speedo, sitting on steel milk can.

Post Thanks / Like
    Paul
    What time does this begin?
    PA-12 N418BS

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry not to be able to make it...got to help build families today! I hope it has gone well, Paul and Steve! Wx down here in the Twin Cities hasn't been conducive to some of my friends flying up.

Randy

Post Thanks / Like
    Sorry but snap it was cold this morning in MN. I looked at the weather and went South (via Indiana) and 8.1 hours later I was back home in 50 degree Oklahoma.
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!

Post Thanks / Like
    Will have a full set of pics when I can get to it. Food and fellowship were fantastic! Thanks Paul! (and it was brrrrr)

Thanks Bill Rusk, SJ, WindOnHisNose, flylowslow thanked for this post
    Likes CamTom12, schwis38K, jrussl, G44, N85HY and 4 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Nice shot, Brad! Sorry to miss it this year.

Post Thanks / Like
    Brad, your dedication is amazing. Getting pictures of everyone taking off, did you get frostbite?

Post Thanks / Like
    The fire pit and Tina sending hand warmer packs with Andy saved the day..

Post Thanks / Like

No Quitters allowed

Well it was cold but we got it in the books. Weather in MSP area was in the trees most of the day with snow and mist. We got a few out of there, but many couldn't get out.

Those who did make it were welcomed by temps hovering right around zero most of the day. We had some new faces and many returning with a couple there for their 4th event. The Gregory Taylorcraft invasion won the earliest arrival and we had a couple of stragglers as late as 3:30pm. The MN DNR was represented with two aircraft and the officers and they said they have added this event to their calendars and are looking at it as an outreach event. No mishaps though we had one good tree bounce (just like golf they are mostly air). We had only one mechanical with a 180 with a stuck starter relay that fixed itself after being threatened with hand propping. Final aircraft count was 27.

Door prizes included 2 David Clark headsets, a Tanis gift certificate, Lake and Air gift shop $100 certificate and lots of hats and shirts and calendars compliments of Wipaire and Trick Air. Farthest arrival was Mike Noel in his GCBC Scout from Milwaukee (he stopped 3 times to thaw on way over). Swag bags had great Wipaire and Stratus trinkets and nice coupon from Stratus for a transponder add on.

Food was catered from The Horseshoe Inn and was wonderful. Trick Air picked up the tab for the catering. Trent, the head chef at The Horseshoe, announced a standing discount of 20% off menu items for all aircraft arrivals at the restaurant. There is a decent groomed snowmobile trail that leads right to the front door of the restaurant. They are just north of the seaplane base and also have Mogas with no ethanol. I can't say enough about the menu and food and $100 hamburger for $80 sounds good.

We had lots of help this year. I had two brother in laws who came up for the event. Denny (former Northwest mechanic) came up Tuesday to help get the base ready and Troy transferred his police traffic management skills into aircraft marshalling. Terry Cronin, Russ Bohm, Eric Penske, Pat Loe, and Paul Erickson all aided in set up and helped keep the fire going on the lake all day. These guys have all been friends since the 80's when we learned to fly together and we couldn't do this event without their help and friendship. My wife made her inaugural appearance and I don't think she sat down all day (she drove up as usual). Kathy and Steve Schwister from Trick Air both helped set up and take down the hangar and as mentioned catered the event.

The new fire pit on the lake was a hit and I think we will make that a larger piece as even in the bitter cold most were happy to warm by the fire and watch airplanes. If we can get a little warmer we may move the event 100% to the lake and eliminate the walk to the hangar and hassle of heating it for the day. Thoughts on set up there would be appreciated.

All in all a success even if we missed a bunch of good friends who were weathered in.

Post Thanks / Like
    Okay, too many pics...

Thanks Olibuilt, AkPA/18, marcusofcotton thanked for this post
    Likes piperJ4, CamTom12, Vlad, chadronmike, N85HY and 3 others liked this post

Laporte, Minnesota and the white sandy beaches of NW Florida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome pictures as always Brad!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Great shots, Brad!

sj

Post Thanks / Like
    Some iPhone images of the event. Was shaking hard enough that indoor shots were pretty fuzzy...

They had three sterno cans under each tray to keep hot... Fantastic food! That's why Andy is looking serious about the choices...

Allen and Gary are enjoying the brisket. They run with the Husky crowd.

Thanks CamTom12 thanked for this post
    Likes CamTom12, 62E, N85HY liked this post