• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Bushmaster tailfeathers

King Brown

Nova Scotia
After building my Bushmaster/Producer 10 years ago, I'm wondering if I should have stayed with Tripacer or Piper PA-18 tail feathers. Because of extra weight of 180hp Lycomng and 84" Mac prop, I squared off SC rudder, added several inches length to stab, elevators, all 4130. It's a little twitchy compared to my earlier SC and I'm wondering if I'd be better served by stock SC tail feathers.(I love the plane.)

I'm curious what you think about this now.

I also have a bushmaster - certified with a 180 horse and edo 2440's.

I wish I had a little more rudder. When I make a step-turn it sometimes takes nearly all the rudder I've got to stop the turn from continuing. I don't care for that. The elevators are stock tripacer. With VG's they do a good job.

Lakes I use are too small or rocky for step turns. My rudder is squared-off PA-18. Another Bushmaster buddy is not pleased on 2440s. My aircraft is on Eddy Peck's 2250s.

I also have a bushmaster - certified with a 180 horse and edo 2440's.

I wish I had a little more rudder. When I make a step-turn it sometimes takes nearly all the rudder I've got to stop the turn from continuing. I don't care for that. The elevators are stock tripacer.
Use more up elevator your bows are too low which will tend to pull the turns tighter.

Figure Eight Lake on a lazy summer afternoon. A few sandbags to adjust CG fore and aft, and an afternoon spent exploring trim settings. That's fun stuff. maybe the only thing I miss about flying floats. Okay, that and the 4th of July on the Kvichak. :)

I've got the standard PA-18 tail and aileron on my certified Bushmaster and Sullivan Wing tips and VG's. Steep turns are easy to coorinate and the plane is very stable. The roll rate is also seems good.

Back