• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Wing tip lights

I have the aero led lights with built in pulse. No controller and you can get a module from them to get both to flash at the same time

What’s the point in synchronizing strobe lights? Does anyone think it improves visibility? Has anyone seen any data that one brand of LED strobe has saved more lives than another? Yeah, me either. The same is true for forward recognition lights. There’s no doubt they improve safety but to imply one is brighter or wingtips are better than cowl is unsubstantiated. A single forward flasher gets my attention as well as two in the wingtips. I can’t differentiate between brands of strobes flashing in daylight. I do think Whelen’s Comet Flash was better than single flash but nobody seeks that out these days. Personally I think a tail strobe may be the most important light for Cubs, but that’s subjective and based on my own close calls.

I am trying to be "seen' and at the same time rebuild to a 1050 lb 160 hp cub (no starter or starter ring, generator or big battery will all help). So weight matters for sure. BUT I also want to be "seen" especially at non towered airports and by the DRONE folks who think there are no AGL limits. So I think I will put switches to everything and put the Aeroled Pulsar NS on the wing tips and their Suntail on the back of the rudder and I already have a LED Whelen red beacon light on top of the tail now. I will also add an Aeroled flood landing light at top of the center of the cabane vee vs one in each wing that would add more weight and cost. Any suggestions I can solicit the better. As in lighting, I am not the brightest bulb out there!

As an employee in public safety and augering around the skies for 50 + years the best advice I can give you is always keep in mind that you could be a 747 lit up with day glo orange with 360 degree strobes and someone will take a shot at you. Being "lit up" will make folks "who are looking" aware of your presence, but so many are no looking at gadgets, glass panels, fiddling with phones, etc, etc. Getting within five miles of any airport, controlled or otherwise, should peg your "awareness" meter. You have no idea what people may do, especially folks with their new go fast machines. Mixing tail draggers with the new small jets, Cirrus etc is a recipe for problems. I give the "go fast" people a wide berth, simply because the first mistake will be the last mistake. As for the drones, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Companies intending to make use of small and large drones have no clue that there are small aircraft flying at 1000-1500 AGL and likely don't care. Someone will be #1 to get whacked by a drone carrying a case of beer, a defibrillator, real estate company cameras etc. Police and fire are now using drones on a large scale. Best wishes on your new plane.

I removed my Whelen strobes and replaced them with the Aero LED’s, saved 2 pounds as weighed on a postal type of scale. That may be of interest to some if increased brightness isn't.

Kurt

I wonder if three synchronized lights would get your attention more than three separate flashes? I have always synched them but always installed the same brand all the way around.

.... forward recognition lights. There’s no doubt they improve safety but to imply one is brighter or wingtips are better than cowl is unsubstantiated. A single forward flasher gets my attention as well as two in the wingtips.....

I disagree. I think wig-wag lights on both wings are more visible than a single blinking light, esp from far away.
Kenmore has had them for years now on the Beavers they operate in my area,
I always spot them a long ways off.
I put a single flashing LED landing light in the LH wing of my 180,
some day I'd like to put a light bucket in the RH wing & upgrade to a wig-wag set-up.
FWIW two side-by-side lights wig-wagging are said to blend into one continuous light from a distance.

There’s no point in long range recognition. It’s just a distraction that takes your eyes away from what’s more important. I need to see planes on a converging path inside a mile. Maybe less. Seeing planes from 20 miles doesn’t enhance safety. And I’d bet I see more Beavers and other planes with big lights than most guys so it isn’t like my position is unqualified.

What’s the point in synchronizing strobe lights? Does anyone think it improves visibility? ...
The AeroLeds mentioned by RBW above are presumably landing and taxi lights in one wing, not wingtip strobes. If they wig-wag in the same location, one is off when the other is on, and there is no effective light pulse; it's almost like having a single continuous light. Synchronizing makes them both pulse at the same time. I have these on my certified Cub, and I'm told they're quite visible.

My question was specific to strobes since a previous poster asked about it. I didn’t synch my Orion strobes because it wasn’t worth pulling a wire to do so. I figured somebody had a different opinion. In my old -12 I used a common strobe power supply so synching was easier. With independent LEDs it’s different.

Both my planes use dual lights up front. Both flash those lights simultaneously. Conversely, I’ve seen several 206s with nose lights wig-wagging and I see them just fine, especially in a distance range that matters, for what that’s worth.

I don't sync my strobes....lots of random flashes seems like it would get my short attention span than one flash. As far as Whelen, I've had great customer service from them. Call Whelens Bryan Bochinski at 860-718-2214 he is super knowledgeable and great to work with. You see Bryan and Jeff every year at Sun N Fun, Osh Kosh, and the rest of the big aviation shows in the Whelen booth answering questions and just shooting the breeze about small airplanes.

Last edited:
My question was specific to strobes since a previous poster asked about it. I didn’t synch my Orion strobes because it wasn’t worth pulling a wire to do so. I figured somebody had a different opinion. In my old -12 I used a common strobe power supply so synching was easier. With independent LEDs it’s different.
I agree, given how far apart they are, synchronized strobes aren't that helpful, but they look kinda cool.

Whatever you choose, place a strobe in a position where it flashes towards the rear so that overtaking airplanes can more easily see you. I've flown a lot at night with fast airplanes. When overtaking an airplane with just a fixed white light at the tail, it is difficult to see them against the background lights and to determine the closing distance. It's a wonder I never ran over someone, there were several close calls......and I actually look out the windows.

There’s no point in long range recognition. It’s just a distraction that takes your eyes away from what’s more important. I need to see planes on a converging path inside a mile. Maybe less......

Two airplanes, coming head-on at 120 mph each,
have a closure rate of a mile every 15 seconds.
I think I'd rather see them a little farther away.

Back