• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Budd Davisson’s Take on Tech

flyrite

Lyons,GA
Thinking Out Loud:
a blog of sorts
This is more of a running commentary on life than a blog. It is my chance to editorialize with no limits and no editors. I can even say sh*t, if I want to, but I won't. Well...not often.

Who Is Budd Davisson? A blog bio
NOTE: If you want to tell me I'm full of crap
SEND COMMENTS TO BUDDAIRBUM@COX.NET : THINKING OUT LOUD
29 Nov 18 - Artificial, Artificial Intelligence
The other day at lunch the subject turned to WW II production and I was spouting out a bunch of interesting (to me) numbers. I pointed out (in a suitably amazed voice) that 49,324 Sherman tanks were built. The young man on the other side of the table said, “You do know that I can look that up on my phone, right? So why learn it?” I was floored!

I hated to admit it, but he’s right. I don’t know why we’re spending so much time trying to invent artificial intelligence, when we already have it. It’s called Google and to the millennials and Generation Z it is a substitute for both knowledge and experience. It’s truly artificial intelligence. We gray dogs, and a sizeable portion of the human brain, have been replaced. Our lifetime of experience and knowledge is obsolete and unneeded!

It looks as if part of civilization is at a curious tipping point. Digital everything is replacing so many things that we’ve taken for granted for generations that it’s changing civilization. No, let me rephrase that. For newer generations, that have never known lives without Google and the associated digital universe, the need to know things simply because knowing them feels good appears (to them anyway) to be pretty much unnecessary. So, they don’t bother to learn random facts that may be useful later in life. That can’t have a good long term effect.

At the upper end of the age spectrum, where loneliness is rampant, it’s sad that elderly generations that never bought into that whole computer thing are blithefully unaware of a massive world of constant companions that is only a keyboard away. While, at the same time, the newer gens have completely merged their social and mental processes with a gigantic digital blob that contains all the information they could ever need. The entire world of information is in their pockets and at their fingertips. And they depend on that. To them, it exists as an exterior brain. Disconnect that brain (kill their phones and/or iPads/computers) and they literally have a difficult time thinking for themselves. And they sure as hell don’t know how to converse or entertain themselves without digital help. God help them if, when the time comes, they don’t have You-Tube on which they can learn how to change a light bulb.

To my way of thinking, the ability to Google everything, making every possible form of information instantly available to us, is an unbelievably huge help to folks like those reading this. But it is crippling to those who didn’t have a life before Google. To the former, it is an invaluable tool. To the latter, it is a crutch without which they have a difficult time functioning.

BTW, what follows could easily be seen as a tirade against millennials but it’s not intended to be. There are lots of kids out there that really have their heads squared away. But, there are a few pumpkin heads, as well. That’s who I’m talking about.

In some areasm, what I may be seeing as problems being caused by digital partners in life, is simply a form of disinterest (and lack of educational support). Easily the number one area in that category is history. Corner a group of college-educated folks under the age of 30-35 and ask them what years WW II ravaged the world. I’ve gotten ages from the late 1800s to the ‘70s. Ask who we fought in WW II and more than half the time England will be tossed in the mix. Ask who Lee Harvey Oswald was and the most common answer I’ve received was that he had a band in the ‘80s.

In another area, ask how many feet are in a mile. Inches in a yard. Quarts in a gallon. The usual answer is a blank stare. They don’t know the answer. But Siri does and that’s all that counts. They don’t see that as a problem. They simply don’t care.

Watch how quickly they go to their Tip App, when figuring a restaurant tip. Mental math no longer exists for them. How hard is it to take .2 or .3 times a number? Or divide it by 4 or 5? They can’t do it because it’s not in their schooling. But, it is in their smart phones. Apple debuted their iPhone in 2007 (seems longer than that, doesn’t it?) which blew all the earlier attempts at the smart phone concept into the weeds and captured minds worldwide. My 8-year-old granddaughter has one and is more proficient at texting and other digital endeavors than I am, yet I practically live on the damn thing.

The forgoing is probably just the random bitching of a gray dog who feels as if someone is constantly moving his dog dish and he’s going hungry. He’s functioning just fine in the digital world, but is increasingly out of step with the overall outlook of what life should entail and that makes him uneasy. The general effect of digits and the general lack of interest in much of life seems to have happened almost overnight. What is the next five or ten years going to look like? It’s a little scary. However, it’s also exciting. It’s going to be a test to see how many of us can learn and acclimate and how many of us get left behind.

As for me, I’m already running as fast as I can to try to stay ahead of the newest of the new. At the same time, I’m finessing skills that in the digital age look archaic. Hey, knowing how to weld, shape wood and steel, keep an old timey engine running, and group less than an inch at 100 yards, may not help me on social media (I’m not on any), but the dirt under my fingernails contains more practical knowledge than a lot of millennials will ever acquire. That’s my story and I’m stickin’ to it. Screw ‘em! bd

Budd is the coolest of cool. One of these days I want to get aerobatic instruction from him in his Pitts. He’s written a couple books as well...both good reads if you like the Dale Brown or Tom Clancy type novels. Describing Budd as smart is an understatement....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Budd is about the biggest Pitts Snob I've ever talked to. But, if you're gonna be an airplane snob what better airplane?
So, I'm not gonna hold that against him.
I also agree with him. Doesn't someone have to learn the stuff initially, or does it magically appear on Google? Someone has to school Siri, who by the way, is not a real person. Who knew?
I have both of his novels and the "Pitts Specials" book.
Doesn't he say something about there being Pitts Specials and other airplanes and the two shouldn't be confused?

I did my Pitts checkout with Budd some years ago. He's the only person I've ever known to fly a Pitts in cowboy boots. Been reading his pireps since he wrote for Air Progress magazine in the 70s.

Last edited:
The internet has to be on par with the internal combustion engine for its effect on the world. However just as the engine can allow us a better life, it also allows war at a massive scale. We have to be careful that the internet is not used to manipulate us/groups/countrys with negative intent (it has/can/will happen in hours) or its benefit will be lost. I spend several hours a day enjoying this part of our world but still like a book when I want to learn and remember how to do things.
DENNY

The internet has to be on par with the internal combustion engine for its effect on the world. However just as the engine can allow us a better life, it also allows war at a massive scale. We have to be careful that the internet is not used to manipulate us/groups/countrys with negative intent (it has/can/will happen in hours) or its benefit will be lost. I spend several hours a day enjoying this part of our world but still like a book when I want to learn and remember how to do things.
DENNY

I think that's right. It's funny that the most enjoyable thing I've found in using the internet is collecting books. I've got over a 3000 volume library in a folder in an obscure corner of an SD card stuck in my laptop. Backed up, too. I love books, and I can read all sorts of things published from the time of Gutenberg to a minute ago.

For a DIY fabricator/artist/curious-person/hungry-for-knowledge-dilettante, it is a dream! I have trouble understanding how a person could get bored. There are so many things to try! In my youth I'd have to plan library visits once or twice a month, and then go try out what I learned. Now I have to turn off the firehose lest I get paralyzed from too many ideas at once.

So there are limits. Other than a few forums that focus on information exchange, I don't do social media. If I did, I'd probably get overwhelmed by people's opinions and whims and get fogged in.

Flying a Pitts makes you love your Super Cub more!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I have a Pitts and a Super Cub. I guess that makes me pretty insufferable in most situations, at least until one of those ear splitting 180 guys shows up.

I have a Pitts and a Super Cub. I guess that makes me pretty insufferable in most situations, at least until one of those ear splitting 180 guys shows up.

So, I was asked last night which airplane was my favorite, the Pitts Or the Cub.
How would you answer that question?

So, I was asked last night which airplane was my favorite, the Pitts Or the Cub.
How would you answer that question?

Different planes for different missions. They are both wonderful, and I intend to keep flying both as long as I can still climb in.

Knowledge without Critical Thinking Skills (CTS) is useless. Opinions without CTS are misleading. Power without CTS is destructive. Reading Writing and 'rithmatic are tools to manipulate and express information but without CTS and, more importantly, morals, they will only express the poor side of the Human Condition.

Any teaching institution should have as it's primary goal to teach morals with CTS, all the rest will follow.

The school of J3 Cub immerses me in laws of nature every time I fly, every time I work on it, and every person it brings me in contact with. My J3 has been one of the best institutions of truly higher learning I have ever attended.

Facts are becoming ever easier to look up, and that's a good thing. When my kids were growing up and questions arose at the dinner table we headed for the Britannica set in the other room. Now, it's ask Google.

But the manner in which, and the extent to which we process those facts is another matter entirely. As adults, the kids told me "you never told us the answer to anything". Well, not quite, but they are now appreciative of their skill at figuring things out.

I've tried to instill that in students as a math and science teacher also. I think the kids have a love-hate relationship with it - they know when they're called on I'll expect not just an answer, but also "how do you know?". I retired a year and a half ago, but still subbing. And I still ask "how do you know" all the time. It causes some squirming in seats sometimes, but well-earned pride comes with confidently correct answers.

I hear complaints from adults about the relatively new "Common Core" approach to math. I love the philosophy it embodies. It requires real thinking - not mere application of some memorized and soon-to-be-forgotten algorithm.

An opinion - - -

Last edited:
Back