• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Anodizing spring gear

skukum12

The Last Frontier
Friend with a Rans S7 was pondering what to do with his new aluminum spring gear. Paint or??? I suggested anodizing them. Is this even an option? Is it a stupid idea? He said powder coating is not an option due to the heat.

Painted a set for S21. Same gear. Used Superflite epoxy primer because that’s what we had and the new Imron topcoat (now it’s something else). After 3 seasons it’s wearing very well.

I don’t know anything about the anodizing process other than it looks very nice. He should call Ed at Rans and ask about it.

I wipe the belly after every flight. With the rag somewhat oily I wipe the gear legs while I am at it. My prop and spinner are also polished aluminum, but since I can do them standing up, they get "Mothers" or equivalent once a month. If I get lazy during rainy season, a light coat of "TriFlow" keeps corrosion away.

Anodizing reduces the fatigue life of many aluminum alloys by a significant amount. Google "anodizing and fatigue life".

Also and article in Feb 2009 issue of Sport Aviation magazine on the subject.

Paul K.

Sounds logical, I just was not sure how much heat the heat treated parts could take before damage would occur. There are some low melt point powders, would that still be too much?

The Grove website says you can powder coat gear legs as long as they aren't heated over 375F.

Back