• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Night Flight?

bob turner

A recent thread discusses night equipment. I only need an overhead light.

Many years ago somebody pulled that expensive Grimes spotlight off the overhead tubes in my Decathlon. I know why they did it - flying upside down can cause cranial impact . . .

I want a dim, red LED flashlight with a clip-on mount. I have my eyes on some "Sporty's" flashlights, but thought I would ask here. My mission would be three landings in 90 days, not extended night single engine stuff, and I would pull it out after each mission.

Anybody have a favorite dimmable LED flashlight?

Many years ago somebody pulled that expensive Grimes spotlight off the overhead tubes in my Decathlon. I know why they did it - flying upside down can cause cranial impact . . .

I want a dim, red LED flashlight with a clip-on mount. I have my eyes on some "Sporty's" flashlights, but thought I would ask here. My mission would be three landings in 90 days, not extended night single engine stuff, and I would pull it out after each mission.

Bob,

I always keep a headband mounted flashlight looped around the x brace in my cub - ready to put on for when it gets dark. Seems to always be the best solution.

Tim

Last edited:
I refuse to return to the Golden Age of Mini Maglite Mouth in winter...wrap the metal with electrical tape to prevent freezing flesh when held in a bite and carry xtra bulbs that didn't last. The flashlight was free compared with the later cost of batteries and bulbs. But, they did offer colored replacement lenses. I have some if there's any interest. Today it's LED headlamps and rechargeable flashlights. Still need the tape tho.

Gary

Skip red. Worst color ever for flying, you want blue/green. Aeromedical Factors for Army Aviators should be a read for pilots. It will explain the reasons for many choices you should make and de-bunk ole wives tales. And quite frankly why are you trying to preserve your night vision? Are the runway lights not white, the city lights, the landing light, etc etc.

Sorry do not mean to be preachy but, hear the truth brother.

Fine, but I am just going to mount a reliable flashlight and do three touch and goes. I too have the Maglite discs, and had some horrible Maglites to go with. I am looking for a mini Streamlight or something with a dimmer knob.

I have several fairly good rechargeable LED flashlights, but all have to be cycled through various modes - no such thing as an on-off switch anymore?

Thanks for the resource. Pg 8-11. https://armypubs.army.mil/epubs/DR_pubs/DR_a/pdf/web/ARN10580_TC 3-04x93 FINAL WEB.pdf
COCKPIT LIGHT ADJUSTMENT8-46. Instrument, cockpit, and rear cargo area overhead lights should be adjusted to the lowest readablelevel that allows instruments, charts, and maps to be interpreted without prolonged staring or exposure.Although blue-green lighting at low intensities can be used in cockpits without significantly disruptingunaided night vision and dark adaptation, items printed in blue-green might wash out. However, the use ofblue-green lighting has several benefits. Blue-green light falls naturally on the retinal wall and allows theeye to focus easily on maps, approach plates, and instruments, thereby decreasing eye fatigue. In addition,the intensity necessary for blue-green lighting is less than that for red lighting, resulting in decreasedChapter 88-12 TC 3-04.93 1 August 2018infrared signature and less glare. When blue-green lighting is used properly, the decrease in light intensityand ease of focusing make it more effective for night vision.

I am just going to mount a reliable flashlight and do three touch and goes
Why would you need any light, other than for legality and an occasional oil pressure check? Not being sarcastic, honest question.

After experiencing rheostat failure and complete cockpit lights out on a dark night, I was grateful for the led headlamp that stays around my neck during night flights.

EDEA07B9-FBDE-42A9-959E-DA019C5C6853.jpeg
The first touch of the switch ie red. Subsequent touches are white. Good for working on the plane as well. If you have it on red for a few seconds the next touch goes to off, so you eliminate going through white to turn it off.

Attachments

• EDEA07B9-FBDE-42A9-959E-DA019C5C6853.jpeg
    EDEA07B9-FBDE-42A9-959E-DA019C5C6853.jpeg
    340 KB · Views: 187
Thanks. I have four machined aluminum Energizer flashlights. They are works of art. But totally unreliable.

I take it back - they are labelled "Duracell." Not made by Duracell - company that made them sent new caps, but they are still pretty much useless.

The only good one I have so far is a Bicycle headlamp. Far too bright for a night cockpit.

Gordon - around here I could probably safely get around the pattern without airspeed or altitude, but out in the country one might want minimal instruments. I remember going in to Gila Bend one moonless night, and I was on instruments until I turned final.

Look in the "pilot supplies" portion of a sporty's or spruce catalog--
they have oodles of that kind of stuff.
I always wear a ball cap when flying, so for me a light that clips onto that would be handy.

Get any reputable headlamp off Amazon that has adjustable angle/hinge. Remove the head strap. Zip tie to appropriate spot on your tubing. Now you have a non permanent, reliable, multi color and variable intensity cockpit light for under $30.
Thanks. I have four machined aluminum Energizer flashlights. They are works of art. But totally unreliable.

I take it back - they are labelled "Duracell." Not made by Duracell - company that made them sent new caps, but they are still pretty much useless.

The only good one I have so far is a Bicycle headlamp. Far too bright for a night cockpit.

Gordon - around here I could probably safely get around the pattern without airspeed or altitude, but out in the country one might want minimal instruments. I remember going in to Gila Bend one moonless night, and I was on instruments until I turned final.

Nitecore P12. 4 brightness levels. Comes on with the last level you used. Rechargeable battery that lasts for months. Best light I've ever had. Also makes a headlamp version of the same light.

$60 ish from Amazon.

Go down to your local truckstop and look around. I found one for my truck with white, really white and red. magnetic base, clip for on the belt etc and it has 90 deg capability. so you can stick it to the crossbar above your head.

Those little clip on your caps bill type with a little red fingernail polish would be perfect tho.

Some guys here live most of the winter in the dark. Fixing snowmachines on the river in the middle if the night, tying cargo in trucks or freight sleds, starting generators, going to the outhouse.... portable light is a way of life. Flying in the dark is easy.

"A recent thread discusses night equipment. I only need an overhead light."

What thread was this? Are illuminated instruments required for night flight in an early Super Cub? Seems not.

"A recent thread discusses night equipment. I only need an overhead light."

What thread was this? Are illuminated instruments required for night flight in an early Super Cub? Seems not.

My 1968 came with one instrument light mounted in the right wing root, where the switch panel was. I put it back in during the rebuild with an led light

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's what I am going to do, but mine will be portable, since most of the time my mission includes inverted flight.

The other thread was discussing a rather extensive list of things required for night flight. I already have most of the other stuff. Just looking for a better flashlight and mount. I like a couple of the suggestions above.

LED strips work well, they come with an adhesive so you can stick them where you want, some come with their own battery but you can also buy them 12v and hard wire them, trimable, cheap to buy on Amazon in a few different colours

Sportsman's warehouse have a long aisle of different lights.

There are ones that clip onto your ball cap with six LEDs, that use watch batteries, ones using AA that clip wherever, ones with strings to go around a tube or your head...

Today flashlights are CHEAP and reliable. Take three, they are small.

Fingernail polish works for not only color, but you can adjust the brightness with how thick it gets applied.

Tungram 2619 is what's in it. GE 303 equivilant maybe? I understand it's a BA15S base but the bulb is pretty small to fit in the housing.

Give me the number of the original bulb. I can check to see if there is an LED replacement. Otherwise replace to whole assembly with an LED unit.

Web

Back