• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

ANC Earthquake

Haven't got that far. My house has 'thrown up' most of the stuff off the shelves but the shop isn't to bad. Hope everyone else is doing ok.

Web

Just got off the phone with a pal who is at JBER... Said it was pretty bad. Lasted a ling time. Cracks in bridges, a few fallen overpasses in ANC...

I'm in Hawaii but my employess tell me the shops and warehouse are a mess. No injuries. No power. Lots of damage to roads. Lots of tipped over furnishings in houses. Let the clean up begin.

FB_IMG_1543606755043.jpg

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1543606755043.jpg
    FB_IMG_1543606755043.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 426
my luck i would be 600 feet down in that crack, i hope that person looked up and said thankyou, believer or not.

That's an elevated highway ramp that always has had a low spot right where if sloughed off. Now it'll get fixed!

Talked to my daughter a while ago, her house is a mess, she said roads are a mess, overpassed and bridges are damaged. She didn’t say if there was damage on the flight line at Elmendorf, but they shut down so people could go home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My daughter and her family are stuck at SEA.. Ted Stevens International is closed...Aircraft are landing. Her house sitter says the house is a mess but no structural damage...was built in 1954. Survived the 1964 earthquake... wonder how Merrill field is?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Stewart.
We are in Hawaii too, Honolulu.
Headed back to AZ, then to ANC on 12/14. Our place has lots of stuff broken and on the floor. Starr's shop is good, but he is cleaning up our unit. 5th floor really shook he said.
Of course we were in the 64 quake, so this one is the biggest since.
Where we live on L St the land moved 11' in the 64 quake. Lived back then without sewer/water/power for some time.
John

I just got pics of my shop. It’s a mess. Lucky nobody got hurt. Aircraft drive has quite a crack in it. Glad your big building fared well. A buddy’s checking my house now.

I take that ramp to work every day, thanking God I was off today. Everyone I know is fine, just a bit rattled (no pun intended).
92181E2A-C3F9-4FCF-B684-05A8052197AA.jpegBBE56195-ED5E-46FB-9D4C-C6193903F46D.jpeg

Attachments

• 92181E2A-C3F9-4FCF-B684-05A8052197AA.jpeg
    92181E2A-C3F9-4FCF-B684-05A8052197AA.jpeg
    95.9 KB · Views: 306
  • BBE56195-ED5E-46FB-9D4C-C6193903F46D.jpeg
    BBE56195-ED5E-46FB-9D4C-C6193903F46D.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 312
This is almost as bad as a broken airplane. Glad you are all safe!
BB1081A4-704D-4460-B70D-5E7B447AF795.jpeg

Attachments

• BB1081A4-704D-4460-B70D-5E7B447AF795.jpeg
    BB1081A4-704D-4460-B70D-5E7B447AF795.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 380
I don't know much about these things, but I'm curious - was there any advance warning, or has the state of seismic technology still not evolved that far?

I don't know much about these things, but I'm curious - was there any advance warning, or has the state of seismic technology still not evolved that far?

If you have pets, they sometimes freak out a few seconds before a bad one. No accurate sensors ever been produced.

Web

My shop not to bad. Just messy. Spilled some anodizing dye. Shook it over container top.
IMG_1678.JPGIMG_1669.JPGIMG_1668.JPGIMG_1674.JPGIMG_1667.JPGIMG_1673.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1678.JPG
    IMG_1678.JPG
    182.6 KB · Views: 351
  • IMG_1669.JPG
    IMG_1669.JPG
    288.3 KB · Views: 330
  • IMG_1668.JPG
    IMG_1668.JPG
    286.5 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_1674.JPG
    IMG_1674.JPG
    703.4 KB · Views: 314
  • IMG_1667.JPG
    IMG_1667.JPG
    391.7 KB · Views: 304
  • IMG_1673.JPG
    IMG_1673.JPG
    671.1 KB · Views: 302
I bought my tool box with earthquakes in mind. All drawers needed to have that 'click' when they close. And this one was bad enough that some still popped open. Thank goodness it didn't tip. I'm thinking that I should lock the box every time I leave the shop.

Web

I bought my tool box with earthquakes in mind. All drawers needed to have that 'click' when they close. And this one was bad enough that some still popped open. Thank goodness it didn't tip. I'm thinking that I should lock the box every time I leave the shop.

Web

my red one has the click.... still opened some... black one no, but i did lock it after that

I work for the Alaska Railroad. We lost track, have at least one building in shambles and have our incident command center stood up. There won't be any train movement this weekend. How long this lasts depends on mother nature.
The 80+ aftershocks today sure aren't helping. As great as the cub is, the R44 is the tool of choice today. Flying in a Clipper or Raven II is usually fun, but not on days like this.
Hope everyone is safe and the property damage is minor. Ours is not.

Web

My clicky tool chests slide open on level ground with no earthquake when you bump into them!

Good luck with the clean up , straighten up.

sj

I called and in Seldovia , 120 miles south, just shook for a while and stuff didn't even come off the shelves, very lucky. Our house was fine, the planes in Wolf Lake made it thru fine also, very lucky compared to many. Friends in Wasilla took a beating, guess we just neeed to do what we do help each other when in need.

My shop lost lots of inventory to damage. The house? Cabinet doors open but not one item fell out. A bottle if lotion walked into a vanity sink. That's it. The Cub had tall shelves adjacent to it and nothing fell. Nothing moved. Pretty lucky. One employee lives in Chugiak and his house is a disaster. Not just messy, but structure damage. The random nature of earthquake damage on display again.

Really surprised to find that the Cub was fine, as it is parked like a puzzle piece with a 172 in a hangar in Birchwood. I expected damage, but was happy to find none.

My classroom was a different story - mostly a lot of glassware falling out of cabinets and quite an adventure with my students. My house? Oy. Lesson learned on securing dressers and bookshelves to the wall. I'm just glad my kids weren't home, as that could have turned out very badly.

hNqfSE.jpg

j5LX0l.jpg

JdhOFh.jpg

QfiTeX.jpg

OUfs5c.jpg

X9alND.jpg

Back