Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wings for my 2+2 project

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailjohn View Post
    I used to get really nice vertical grain Sitka Spruce from Flounder Bay Boats in Anacortes WA. I got a few sets of spars for Tcrafts from them and at a great price. If I remember right, there was a lady named Erica that ran the wood yard and she really knew her stuff!! Not sure if they're still in business, but one of the boat supplies around there should be handling cants and resawing. Another supplier that I've had great luck with was Big Sky Stearman in OR.
    As far as scarf joints in a spar, my Tcraft had 14 individual pieces in one spar from the factory. They were pretty broke back in 46.
    John
    Bob and Erica Pickett owned Flounder Bay, but sold out in the early 2000s.

I used to go up there from Tacoma and buy a few things. They had stuff in the storage area that I had only dreamed about.

Sent from my SM-J320V using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    She was really knowledgeable on wood!! I really enjoyed dealing with her!! There was also a guy down towards Tacoma, Lyle Sindlinger if I remember??...he had a Guiberson powered Stinson SM8....he was also in the wood business. I only met him once......
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hardtailjohn View Post
    She was really knowledgeable on wood!! I really enjoyed dealing with her!! There was also a guy down towards Tacoma, Lyle Sindlinger if I remember??...he had a Guiberson powered Stinson SM8....he was also in the wood business. I only met him once......
    John
    In the mid 90s we lived in Tacoma and I was always looking for wood, but I don't recall him.

The biggest missed opportunity I had back then was when I met an old contractor who wanted to sell off his inventory of wood. He had around 3000 board feet of clear old-growth douglas fir dimensioned lumber in all sizes, back when the Japanese were buying up all of ours. He wanted $2 a board foot, but I was just starting out a new career and didn't have any place to put it. A few months later I was a bit more flush, but it was gone. Everywhere else that kind of lumber was selling for $5 + a board foot. I was going to build a large ketch, but it ended up being a project not started.
    Thanks Beaverpilot thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I met Lyle Sidlingler in 1979 when I took a driving trip from Kansas City to Tenino,WA to pick up four sets of Hiperbipe wings from the Sorrels. We then made a trip to Hoquiam,WA to buy some extra spruce at Hobie Sorrel's suggestion. There were two business' operating in the same building. Sparcraft mfg and Posey mfg. I was just out of the military and had a pocket full of cash and bought a Pitts special wing kit while we were there. I think Lyle's dad was the designer of the 5/8 scale Hawker Hurricane replica and sold plans for that design for many years. It was a multi story brick building full of wood. It smelled great between all the wood stored and what they were cutting. Back in the day Sparcraft supplied a lot of Pitts and Skybolt wing kits to homebuilders. Anyway thats what name recognition will do for ya'. I'll quit trolling now.
    Likes RVBottomly, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We were on vacation in Washington state, visiting the national parks. Seeing lots of mills around, I spotted a small sign on a post advertising speciality woods. I called and explained what I needed. And yes, they started in the business in 1975 selling spruce to the big aircraft supply houses. So, I showed up, the owner rough cut some beautiful spruce for me, wrapped it in blue tarps, loaded it on the roof of my motor home with his fork lift and we continued on our vacation. The mill is still around, McClanahan Lumber in Forks, Washington. Worth a call from looking at their web site. http://www.mcclanahanlumber.com/

Marty
    N367PS
    Psalm 36:7 "High and low among men find refuge in the shadow of His wing"
    www.marty2plus2.com
    Thanks RVBottomly thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub junkie View Post
    I met Lyle Sidlingler in 1979 when I took a driving trip from Kansas City to Tenino,WA to pick up four sets of Hiperbipe wings from the Sorrels. We then made a trip to Hoquiam,WA to buy some extra spruce at Hobie Sorrel's suggestion. There were two business' operating in the same building. Sparcraft mfg and Posey mfg. I was just out of the military and had a pocket full of cash and bought a Pitts special wing kit while we were there. I think Lyle's dad was the designer of the 5/8 scale Hawker Hurricane replica and sold plans for that design for many years. It was a multi story brick building full of wood. It smelled great between all the wood stored and what they were cutting. Back in the day Sparcraft supplied a lot of Pitts and Skybolt wing kits to homebuilders. Anyway thats what name recognition will do for ya'. I'll quit trolling now.
    Sparcraft!!! That's the business!! I have his business card somewhere...I remember it was made of 5 plys of wood and not much thicker than a normal card stock!!!
    John

Post Thanks / Like
    Lyle now has more Guiberson diesel parts than he knows what to do with. He still flies the Hawker Hurricane replica that his dad, Fred Sindlinger built, has an Experimental Pacer with, go figure, all wood wings and a Champ. Lyle's a really good guy.

Post Thanks / Like

Another look at the wings

I ordered some PA 14 drawings from Club Cub and was surprised by the wing drawing.

I laid the PA 14 drawing out on the floor overlaid with the Wag Aero drawing and a printout of the Northland drawing of the wing. The PA 14 drawing is hard to make out, but readable in person.

20190107_195704493088411.jpg

I noticed that the Wag and Northland wings are very similar, but the PA 14 wing has an extra compression strut (aka drag strut on the Piper drawings). Also, the bay closest to the wing is different. The Wag and Northland have a solid diagonal to accommodate the fuel tank. The PA 14 has crossing drag wires. I don't know where the fuel tank was in the original.

Also, the PA 14 has what looks like 16 ribs and no additional nose ribs. The Wag drawing has 13 ribs plus nose ribs, and the Northland has 16 ribs plus nose ribs.

So the original PA14 wing is substantially different. Is it the same as a PA 12 wing in these regards?

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    12 & 14 same except flaps. The tank is above the drag wires.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org