• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

what kit to build

ron

Wanaka,NZ
I think I must have lost my marbles.Am considering building another cub.After the previous hastles with backcountry I certainly would not go back there.Seems like it leaves me with cub crafters and Jay.Anyone with experiences with any kits would be interested to hear from you.most important to me is honesty, expedience and quality.Thanks guys.

I think I must have lost my marbles.Am considering building another cub.After the previous hastles with backcountry I certainly would not go back there.Seems like it leaves me with cub crafters and Jay.Anyone with experiences with any kits would be interested to hear from you.most important to me is honesty, expedience and quality.Thanks guys.

I would build the one that all of the standard parts fit.

Tim

When I built mine (Turbine Cubs) all of the steel parts came from Jay. All were of superb quality, far better than original factory parts, in my opinion.

One of my friend's just finished a Javron Cub about 1 year ago. He built it fast and said he really liked working with Jay. Jay worked like a machine when they did the initial build up in Minnesota. Very Good fit to the parts and Jay was always helpful with support. I've bought a number of parts from Jay for my PA-18. Standard parts that will fit any PA-18 except for some of the experimental pieces like the landing gear and flaps.

Dakota Cub?

Strait parts from Airframes? Build your own kit?

Just ideas.

Or, you could just go into the shop, take a small hammer and hit your hand with it twenty times to replace the suffering, then go buy a flying bird to have fun with8)

Legend is supposed to have cool -11 copies if you don't mind a small engine bird.

Dakota Cub?

Strait parts from Airframes? Build your own kit?

Just ideas.

Or, you could just go into the shop, take a small hammer and hit your hand with it twenty times to replace the suffering, then go buy a flying bird to have fun with8)

Legend is supposed to have cool -11 copies if you don't mind a small engine bird.

Legend is putting the 340’s in now. 180hp and flaps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You bag BC a bit and I can understand that from your experience. But I found them to be great to deal with except for some missing parts. But all kit suppliers are guilty of that. BC seem to be great innovators. But if you want a traditional cub, you can't go past Jay.

Did your son steal the first one or did you crash it (again)? Jay can supply safety cables as well Ron

Do you want a replica Cub or an extraordinary Cub? That's the primary decision.

Backcountry's quality and service have been top notch for my plane. Not an easy kit to assemble but that's not about quality or service. Push the boundaries and you find some potholes. That's the nature of pushing boundaries.

Ron

You specifically mentioned two companies, so I will offer my opinion. Both companies produce a high quality kit, although at different price points.

The CC kit is absolutely top notch and will produce a fine airplane. Great builders manual and company support.
Downsides - Cost is definitely at the high end. Not very flexible in terms of customization. Any parts will pretty much have to come from CC as it is not the same as the standard SC. May still be lacking a little in useful load and range (though each new version gets better) I believe they are currently at around an 800 or perhaps 900 pound useful. Another fairly recent phenomenon, is market saturation. You used to be able to build a CC kit and get most of your money out of it, not labor, but completed CC cubs were commanding top dollar. As more and more kits are completed and then hit the resale market, it tends to drive the market value down. My guess (and my OPINION) is that you might take a pretty substantial hit if you have to sell your pride and joy. Lets say you have 200K in a CC kit. Can you sell it for 200K? I don't know....

Javron makes a top quality product as well. Much lower cost and more flexibility to customize it to your specific mission and individual preferences. Any stock SC part should fit/bolt right on. If you build it light, lets say 1100 pounds (mine was 1052), and set the GW at 2300, you have a useful load of 1200 pounds.
Downsides - No builders manual, and not as complete a kit in terms of misc parts. This could be a significant down side for you, as the CC kit will have just about everything in the crate except paint and a few misc bits and pieces here and there, the Javron kit will require you to order a fair amount of stuff from AC Spruce, Atlee Dodge, and other suppliers which could result in considerable shipping costs.
But I think you could build a high end Javron for around 125 to 150K. I think you might be able to sell it and more closely recover your investment (less labor).

I have recently advised another overseas builder as to how I would handle your situation. Jay DeRosier does builder assist, as does CC. If you work hard you can pretty well have a Javron cub ready to cover in three weeks, via the builder assist. Have everything you need shipped to Javron. You will also have the time you are with Jay to order last minute changes, forgotten items, etc. and have shipped to Javron. When you leave Jay puts it all in the container and ships it to you. You have just about everything, including an airplane that is ready to cover (or close to cover) in one crate. This also mitigates the lack of a builders manual. By the time you ship it home it is largely done. You have to cover and paint and perhaps finish up avionics wiring.
You can pretty much do the same with CC just at a higher cost.

Both are excellent companies and in my opinion either way you go I believe you would be happy. These are just some of my thoughts and my opinion, and I've been wrong before.

Hope this helps

Bill

Thanks Bill,I was hoping you would chip in.You forgot to mention the most detailed builders manual written by yourself which would make the Javron so much easier.As you know I built a backcountry cub with a javron fuselage a few years ago,
I would agree that Jay is a perfectionist and I would certainly enjoy a hassle free journey this time.I will advise when my decision is made.Regards,Ron.

Another thumbs up for Jay. I recommended Javron to a friend and he bought a kit and he and his son spent a week with Jay and got a lot done. Jay has improved the kit tremendously with a nice hardware package that is sorted and labeled. He and his son are well on thier way on the build and I have to conduct fabric school in the next week or so. He has had very few questions for me and is doing a great job on the kit. I agree with Bill that a well done and equipped Javron will be in the $125,000 range for everything but I think that selling one for $175,000-200,000 is not out of the question. Don

Back