• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cubcrafters Sport Cub vs Carbon cub SS

Redbowen

Oregon
I'm looking for some knowledge of the evolution of the Cubcrafters Sport Cub. What are the airframe changes from the original Sport Cub to the Sport Cub S2 and then again what is the difference when they went to the Carbon Cub SS. I am aware of the engine change to the CC340 on the CC SS but were there other changes made?

Thank you for the help.

I'm looking for some knowledge of the evolution of the Cubcrafters Sport Cub. What are the airframe changes from the original Sport Cub to the Sport Cub S2 and then again what is the difference when they went to the Carbon Cub SS. I am aware of the engine change to the CC340 on the CC SS but were there other changes made?

Thank you for the help.

Redbowen the airframes are basically the same with added ATMs testing up to 1865lbs. Less weight in the airframe and more power. To look at them side by side is very similar until you look forward of the door. In addition after 2015 Carbon Cub the carbon cub ex/fx2 was the next gen that offered G series flaps and ailerons. Take a look at this link here and then go to our website and find the blogs page as well as our forums page. It's free.

https://generalaviationnews.com/2012/02/02/carbon-cub-the-beefy-lsa/

Good luck and reach me if the need arises.

Thanks Mark

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Oh and the Sport Cub to the S2 was primarily and increase in HP with diff cyl and Pistons, cowl flaps etc. I have one for sale now in fact. Thanks MK

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

I maintain a few Carbon Cubs from the SS to the FX2 and a Sport Cub. I haven't noticed any huge differences in airframes between them all, mainly the firewall forward. You can follow the subtle changes common in a new design by looking at the service documents. http://cubcrafters.com/c/publications There were growing pains that eventually get worked out.

The sport cub has lightening holes drilled all through the front and rear spars. Works handy if you have to take the aileron balance cable out you can get to the pulley through the landing light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sport cub has lightening holes drilled all through the front and rear spars. Works handy if you have to take the aileron balance cable out you can get to the pulley through the landing light.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only on the Sport Cubs, the Sport Cub S2 has solid spars. Some of the early Sport Cubs also had a tail beacon on top of the rudder, went away with the S2.

Yup, we were wrong, We were also told by the dealer that the S2s do not have the lightening holes. But both of ours do on the front spar, aft spar solid.

If the Sport Cub S2 was ordered with the "S2 Performance Package", changes included 40 new carbon fiber parts, 4 into 1 exhaust, lighter stronger windows, lighter tailwheel spring, Grove wheels and double puck brake calipers and rotors. This is from the Sport Cub S2 options sheet. The above items reduced weight by 25 lbs.

Back