Thread: cabane vee LED light

Post Thanks / Like

cabane vee LED light

I see some cubs have a LED light mounted in the cabane vee. Is there a particular light that works best for that? Like maybe the Aeroled microsun or aerosun maybe? Or? I want the brightest I can find but that is still small and doesn't draw much amperage.

Post Thanks / Like
    Go to a four wheel drive shop and see what's available. They'll have the brightest 12 volt lights.

Just remember that LEDs draw less current than incandescent lamps. But when comparing LEDs to each other, less current equals less candle power. The illumination rating of each light (in candle power or lumens) will be listed in the specs for each light.

Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    Single light or two? Forward recognition or light up a dark runway? Different priorities lead to different lights. Watts in equals lumens out. Spot or flood will light things differently. To some degree size matters. If you’re certificated your mechanic’s opinion about approval matters, too.

https://www.visionxusa.com/producttype/led-lights/

Post Thanks / Like
    I want strictly RECOGNITION. Maybe two so I could wig wag but as bright as I can get on a couple amps max when the light is on and if there are two then the wig wag will limit one on at a time. I only have an 8 amp alternator. I am rebuilding my wings and was going to go with landing lights in each wing, that wig waged, but that is way too heavy and more money too.

Post Thanks / Like
    I installed my led light bar for landing, but it did seem to blind a few others on approach, so I guess it worked for recognition.

fullsizeoutput_2e45.jpeg

Post Thanks / Like
    DO NOT wig wag lights mounted close together. The human eye will only see a steady light at distance. If they are mounted close together flash them on and off together and they will be effective.

If you only want recognition, get the 'spot' types and not the 'flood' types. Will be seen at a greater distance.

Web
    Likes Hardtailjohn, RaisedByWolves liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

cabane vee LED light

I'm not sure about the floods being less effective than spots. If I'm at the power line corner heading toward Pt McKenzie and an outbound plane is at the boat hull heading toward the power line corner I want floods, and that's why I selected 40* beams. Spots wouldn't be visible from that angle. That's just an example but it applies to everywhere I fly. Long distance recognition isn't a big deal. My lights can be seen from straight ahead as well as a spot in any distance that matters. The closer-in 20-30* off center angle is the one that scares me. I watch the 206 and 185 nose lights with interest. I assume one is a landing (spot) and the other a taxi (flood) and I believe the taxi light is better at off center recognition. I can see the landing light from 10 miles away but lose it as it gets close.

Here's an illustration. You can see both light pods in this picture and if I turned them on you'd see them flashing. I don't think you'd see a spot but maybe I'm wrong.

IMG_4865.JPG

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't mount mine on the cabane vee, I mounted these....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...on the front of my steps. I have steps on both sides and wanted them far enough apart to wig wag.

Wes Schwarz
    Likes stewartb, Farmboy, cruiser liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    I want strictly RECOGNITION. Maybe two so I could wig wag but as bright as I can get on a couple amps max when the light is on and if there are two then the wig wag will limit one on at a time. I only have an 8 amp alternator. I am rebuilding my wings and was going to go with landing lights in each wing, that wig waged, but that is way too heavy and more money too.
    I admit to being biased towards the Vision X products as I have two mounted on my cabane V. The Vision X Optimus light comes in 10, 20 or 50 degree beam spread. The 10 degree beam provides over 800’ of usable light according to Vision X. I put 20’s on my airplane. They are aluminum, not plastic, with an unbreakable polycarbonate lens. They have colored lense covers if you feel the need to do red and green during the holidays. A minor tweak to the mounting hardware and they bolt right on to the cabaneV bolts. 0.8 amp draw per light, piece of cake for a Max Pulse. They are heavy, 2 3/4 lb per light as I recall. I think there is a transformer coil in there, maybe that’s what makes them so bright. Sales pitch over. Good luck, Jim
    Likes 40m, stewartb liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    LEDs have evolved alot in the last two years. Back then a 5" one would have been only 24W and been over $100. I only use one of these.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    This is interesting and a positive change. Back in 1987 I mounted a Warn driving light on my cabane with a bent up bracket under the strut bolt heads. You'd of thought I'd designed a Dr. Death ray the way the FAA wondered about it. I explained I wanted to see snow drifts trapping fur in winter to not break gear and didn't care about runways. They left me alone and it worked good.

Gary
    Likes Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    LEDs have evolved alot in the last two years. Back then a 5" one would have been only 24W and been over $100. I only use one of these.

Glenn
    Fine looking light. And a great price. Got any pics of it mounted?

Post Thanks / Like
    If those pods Glenn posted are 288W each, that's very good.

Not that it applies to cabane lights, but if you follow lightbarsupply, they have sales a few times a year and this package can be purchased for $169 as I had done. Might have watch facebook and be patient for the sales though.
    https://lightbarsupply.com/products/...-free-shipping

Screen Shot 2018-11-13 at 9.22.31 AM.png

The 20" bar went on the cub.
    The 4 pod lights when on my yard tractor.
    The huge 52" light bar I haven't found a use for yet.

Of all of mine I actually feel the 20" bar is the brightest, for whatever reason, but its listed as half (126W) of what Glenn's link shows.

pb

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cruiser View Post
    Fine looking light. And a great price. Got any pics of it mounted?
    I found this picture hanging around , just a alum angle bolted to the V

Glenn
    Last edited by cubdriver2; 11-13-2018 at 09:42 AM.
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes wireweinie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    See what i
    Mean, SJ, you jerk

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SuperCub.Org mobile app
    Likes STaylor2, Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
    I didn't mount mine on the cabane vee, I mounted these....

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

...on the front of my steps. I have steps on both sides and wanted them far enough apart to wig wag.

Wes

what did you use to flash the lights? A few different methods for sure, with varying degrees of cost
    im beginning to be more impressed with all the pulse and wig wag recognition, a lot of this years STOL class contest at Oshkosh showing pulse lighting.

Jim

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post
    Wes

what did you use to flash the lights? A few different methods for sure, with varying degrees of cost
    im beginning to be more impressed with all the pulse and wig wag recognition, a lot of this years STOL class contest at Oshkosh showing pulse lighting.

Jim
    This seems to be what lots of people are using.
    http://www.maxpulsemaxdim.com/maxpulseproduct.htm

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouter View Post

Jim
    This wig-wag is what I'm using with LED lights.
    https://www.kestrobes.com/ltr-landin...ogniton-light/
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    For simple flashing guys have used automotive blinker relays for as long as I can remember. I've used an STC'd MaxPulse in my Cessna for many years, and a bootleg flasher for many years before that (until a mechanic found it and removed it ). I like the MaxPulse so well I bought another one for my experimental.
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    For simple flashing guys have used automotive blinker relays...
    I tried one of these. It didn't work with LED lights since the current draw was too low.
    N1PA
    Likes Chicken Hawk liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Just because I my post earlier referred to waiting for a sale, the light bars I used are now on sale for $159. So, if your tractor needs lights.... these work.

https://lightbarsupply.com/products/...gVQChZIFJyNAU0

edit - most probably don't need the 52", so this is a better deal at $89.
    https://lightbarsupply.com/collectio...ottom-bundle-1

I have no connection with this company, they are probably chinese made, and YMMV.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    I tried one of these. It didn't work with LED lights since the current draw was too low.
    You used an old style flasher for incandescent lights. Find a flasher from a newer car that uses LED blinkers. Will work just fine.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Peter,

That 52" bar would fit perfect on my loader for plowing!

The only issue with LED is that they do not generate the heat to clear snow or ice off of them.

These are safety items. If you have to, take them off before you let your mechanic get near the plane. It only takes a few minutes to unbolt and unplug.

Flashing lights make you much more visible, worth the weight and expense every time.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes Farmboy liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    IMG_0739.JPG Aeroled Sunspot36LX Landing Light installed by Aerotronics Billings. FSDO stated no 337 necessary. When landing it is aimed down toward the runway as the tail come down it points out like a taxi light. Once you put the big tires on who cares about drag.
    Thanks stknrddr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Did Aerotronics furnish all the "bracketry" to mount it like that? Will the Mx Pulse work with it to flash it on and off or to have it on steady? That's really a nice looking installation.

Post Thanks / Like
    All the brackets where supplied by Aerotronics however I think this is very much a do it yourself deal. The light housing I believe you can get from aeroled or some other supplier like spruce. It then is simply a piece of angled alluminum clamped to the V. Mine is on steady but I guess you could pulse if you want.