• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

PA-12 Exhaust Shroud Repair/Replacement

aviationinfo

Southwest WA
I did a search on this topic but couldn't find anything relevant.

I have a stock PA-12 muffler (O-320 engine) with a stock muffler shroud. The shroud has been giving me trouble for quite some time, and now at 1000 hours on the the shroud it's starting to split circumferentially, in the vicinity of a muffler bulkhead, mid-span. The metal is just thin aluminum and the clamp at the rear of the muffler shroud doesn't want to stay on. It doesn't seem like a terrific arrangement to me.

I am wondering how people handle the repair of these shrouds. Replacing the entire muffler with Atlee / Sutton isn't an option for me right now.

Can they be beefed-up? I can buy a brand new one for just under $500 but am guessing it'll be the same deficient installation and metallurgy as the original. Fabricating one out of thin stainless steel sure seems like it would be a better solution. Would appreciate any thoughts, thanks!

Last edited:
Drill the flanges off and make one out of stainless steel or 2024T3 aluminum. Has work for me over the years. Takes a few tries to get the breaks in the exact spot.

Back