• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Trend of machine design trying to protect, or think better then humans?

From a first post of high tech topics right down to being stoked about runnin bald tires in 3’ of snow.
(Did that in the past but have since woken up). Hopefully the neighbours know your schedule, that way they can stay warm by the fire while you do a grocery run lol. Turn your porch lights on when you get back then they know the coast is clear.
Roddy

One of my favorite cars to drive is a Model T. Not fast, not safe, but it’s sure fun. Best part is you don’t have to worry about someone stealing it.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

From a first post of high tech topics right down to being stoked about runnin bald tires in 3’ of snow.
(Did that in the past but have since woken up). Hopefully the neighbours know your schedule, that way they can stay warm by the fire while you do a grocery run lol. Turn your porch lights on when you get back then they know the coast is clear.
Roddy

had a newer brand tire on my 3/4 ton dodge, 20,000 miles, the cap came off it and went up past the passenger window, i thought what the hell. junk. went back to firestone transforce at2s, hearing they went back to a better quality rubber in them. dont be proud of anyone on new tires.

Last edited:
With the recent snow fall out east here we get to see how all this great technology in today's vehicles works. Not to well from what I see.

Turning it off is certainly one of the "proper uses". However, not all systems can be turned off. For instance, anti-skid braking, or panic stop assist. In that case, you better use them correctly. i.e. do not pump the brakes with anti skid systems.

The only constant across generations of people in a world that’s seen rapidly advancing technology since the industrial revolution is that old men complain about change. As younger men they embraced it. To me that defines getting old better than the number of years does.

That's because we have the advantage of hind-sight and experience now. I strongly disagree that all of this technology is good. Sure lots of things are great. I had the first Apple IIE and loved it and I keep on top of most technology; but do I want to have my engine shut off without my command? Accelerate into another lane without a command, decelerate when you need to speed up? That's for incompetents; and I totally disagree that this has lowered accident rates, It may have ameliorated the incidence rate, which has no doubt increased due to lack of driver training and disrespect for good conduct. The problem is that we are teaching people to push buttons, but nothing about how they achieve the desired task. Most every electronic actuator performs a manual function that could easily be accomplished without adding the electrical component. For example, simply pushing a lever that controls the temperature in your car.

In my view semi-automatic systems are the most dangerous, because like the SFO crash, no one's quite certain who's actually in charge. Seems like that may have happened with the 737 Max. As for flight training, how can you teach a new pilot to be RESPONSIBLE for the care and condition of his aircraft when most trainers don't have cowls that open up. I don't care if jets don't have leaky exhaust gaskets, or frayed spark plug wires - it's not the detail its the discipline! That's my curmudgeonly view.

As far as snow goes the model T with its skinny tires and soft clutch engagement was the go to winter vehicle in the hinterlands of central PA. That lasted until the second hand Willys Jeeps and surplus military jeeps replaced them.

The curmudgeon view ends when the boss parks the latest Whizz Bang 2100 out on the ramp and says the technology involve will reduce fuel consumption by 8%. Then you better open the books and learn how to the automation works and learn how to use it efficiently. Checked out enough 727 guys on 767 to know how that mop flops.

First of all the "stick pusher" on the B737 is not new. As aircraft go even the new 737 Max is not very sophisticated, certainly not on the scale of an Airbus. Stick pushers have been around for 50+ years. Airbus has for several years had procedures for dealing with a faulty stick pusher which reflects in my mind a higher level of consideration as to dealing with errant systems. I think after AF447 Airbus realized they had to "amp their game" in this regard. Boeing seems a little behind and Asiana does not seem to be as seminal for Boeing as AF447 was for Airbus.
I wasn't familiar with AF447 and had to do some reading. Wow! Basically the junior co-pilot just sat there with the joystick pulled back and wondered why they were sinking. Just letting go - even with the AP inop- would have saved it I think. I would assume those big birds have a fair degree of trim stability, yes? More than anything, I think that was another case of a highly "educated" pilot who didn't understand the fundamentals of flight. Coupled controls would have been a good thing right about then.

I had a new ram biggest POS I’ve ever had, when it sense wheel spin in the snow it would apply the brakes and limit throttle. Seemed to work when you needed throttle and no brakes. I have a 2000 f250 diesel and a manual. It has power windows. that’s about all the frills it has and I love it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

last of the somewhat useable vehicles was 2004, ever since its been a downhill plunge. Ford in the late 90s had a 7.3 powerstroke that was bulletproof, good auto tranny, but they couldnt stand the thought of using a international motor so they went with there own, most know that was disaster.

last of the somewhat useable vehicles was 2004, ever since its been a downhill plunge. Ford in the late 90s had a 7.3 powerstroke that was bulletproof, good auto tranny, but they couldnt stand the thought of using a international motor so they went with there own, most know that was disaster.

Mines got the 7.3 and a 6speed manual

I had a new ram biggest POS I’ve ever had, when it sense wheel spin in the snow it would apply the brakes and limit throttle. Seemed to work when you needed throttle and no brakes. I have a 2000 f250 diesel and a manual. It has power windows. that’s about all the frills it has and I love it.

And how many vehicles over the past few decades, when one front tire starts to lockup on snow, all the brakes get shut off. I removed the 60 amp fuse from the ABS in my truck a decade ago and the brakes are great in all conditions ever since.

I did get rear ended in town last year, a damn hit & run, it was dark out at the time. The cause was I drive on Hakkapeliitta snows while very few other people have any thought to proper tires yet think they can drive in the winter conditions we get here. Wish I could have seen how smashed up their car was cause I know how tough mine is.

Gramp's 73 Buick was hit by an early Civic. He wondered if the Civic would be totaled, but he didn't even go to a shop, and Grandma was particular. Anyway I've removed the instrument cluster from 3 different makes of cars and pickups and poked out the piezio buzzer soldered to the backside. Takes 30 minutes, they're all built the same. Sick of city concerns driving everything. Remember the carjack doorlock thing?

It used to be when the machine used to not work, a mechanic would come look. Often it was a valve issue or bade hose. Replace the hose, change o-rings in the valve. Sometimes a welder to put parts back together. Engine issues would be filter, pump or injector.

Now I watch guys sit for two and three hours running the diagnostic program to try to figure out what is wrong. More often than not it is some sensor or electric issue that takes a couple days to get the replacement, or worse an electrical ghost that takes multiple trips for them to 'reproduce'. Hours to repair are higher because of the diagnostics; yet the reliability is not much better in the electronic world.

Older equipment we could work around sensors, or run a temporary reading to see if it was a warning light from sensor, or problem- then keep running. Today, you might not be able to get the engine to run more than idle!

Yes, some of the technology might be grand, but for productivity it also has cost plenty.

Back