• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

0-320 widedeck

I think the first wide deck came out in 63 an IO-320 B1A. and the rest were phased in after that. somewhere around 68 sticks in my mind but really don't know.

I think the first wide deck came out in 63 an IO-320 B1A. and the rest were phased in after that. somewhere around 68 sticks in my mind but really don't know.

Mines a 68 and has a wide deck, same S/n engine it left lock haven with

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine came out of the factory April ‘66 it still has the original by serial number, it is a wide deck. It’s first overhaul was 2003.

Would the b designation on the data plate(ie, -b1a, -b2b etc) confirm it as a wide deck engine, or did lycoming make some high compression 0-320's with narrow deck cases and cylnders?

i think wide deck engines the (serial number) ends with the letter A.

For O-320s, the “A” at the end of the serial
Number specifies wide deck. You can have either narrow or wide deck engine for most any model. Look at the cylinder old down nuts to tell narrow or wide deck. Narrow deck has internal wrenching nuts. High compression narrow deck engines have the banana plates under the nuts as well. Wide deck engines have normal hex nuts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FWIW, my brand new IO-390 uses internal wrenching nuts on the cylinders.
Are they the same as the original internal wrenching nuts or do they require another set of wrenches? Will my old in good condition wrenches work on the new nuts, or is Lycoming wanting to sell me a new set?

Back