• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Binocular Repair

musket

FRIEND
Baja Oklahoma
I have a set (pair?) of binoculars which need repair, i.e., one sees a double image when looking through them. Have any of you folks had binoculars repaired and would recommend the person / facility who did the repair? These binocs are Asahi Optical Company, Japan, 6x25 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

It’s usually cheaper to buy a new pair than to have them fixed unless they are very high end. I Googled “binocular repair” and several companies do this. You could call them for a quote.

A very valid and logical point, Tennessee, guess I'll start looking at new ones . . . . .

Thanks for your response.

I have been through a lot of binoculars in my time. Expensive ones are amazing, but binoculars are just tools when you get down to it. Avgas is a better value!

I have been through a lot of binoculars in my time. Expensive ones are amazing, but binoculars are just tools when you get down to it. Avgas is a better value!

That all depends on what you want to do.

Looking at your kids playing in the stadium, ok- doesn't matter.

After three sets of binoculars failed on three consecutive fly out trips, I gave up and went to the high dollar end. Had the one pair of small ones for 10 years before I replaced them with range finder binoculars, these I have carried for over ten years.

More than once I would be sitting next to someone looking at a critter and they could not see the critter- past a few hundred yards things were just a fuzz in theirs. My good ones don't give me eye strain or headache after a couple hours glassing. Can not say that for the cheap stuff.

Being able to focus into brush and pick out the animal in the alders is really nice, but must have good glass.

So if seeing detail, and glassing long hours, spend the money on glass. Good glass lasts for years, your dollar per use goes down pretty quickly.

I always suggest buying cheap rifle and put the savings into your binoculars. Even a cheap 4x scope does just fine for most hunting... but being able to see the animal early is a good thing.

I have a set (pair?) of binoculars which need repair, i.e., one sees a double image when looking through them. Have any of you folks had binoculars repaired and would recommend the person / facility who did the repair? These binocs are Asahi Optical Company, Japan, 6x25 if that makes any difference.

Thanks in advance

Close one eye:wink:.

AKTango hit the points, I have been using Nikon Monarch, I think they are 10x42 or close to that. They take a beating and keep working, not the best money can buy but I used them guiding in Western AK and will buy them again if these quit. The draw back is I carry a Leica rangemaster 900. I think the Leica glass is better than the Nikon. I tried a pair of Burris for a week and had head aches after long days. Again depends on what your doing, 25mm lens are not very good hunting.

Good info, all -- I agree that these are not considered the best, but there is some sentimental attachment to them. I have a pair of Zeiss binocs that are my 'go-to' set, so it's not like I'm 'nickel and dime'ing' myself . . . .

Thanks for all the advice -- BTW, 40M, a year or so ago I got my eyes 'adjusted and re-calibrated' (laser cataract surgery) and I'm sooo delighted with my new outlook on life that I just can't stand to look at the world with only one eye :lol: !

I just caught this thread. All the bushnells ive had, while binos, are monos. Have to look with one eye. Ive bought some vortex's and now its like they are cross eyed. Look ok while looking through but your eyes go bonkers when coming off of them. Guess back off to vortex they go?

Back