• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cgr 30-p

No, MVP-50
Thanks, I was curious because I sold and installed several of the first CGR30Ps and was thinking they came out later than 2012. The early CGR30P had screen issues and we EI got that fixed. I had one pin issue on a CGR30P that took me a couple of hours to troubleshoot. Turned out to be a pin going into the EDC. Not sure if it wasn't locked into place and I pushed it out when I plugged it in or what. The only other issue I have had was with the old spade connectors being intermittent. Really like the newer barrel connectors.

What are the odds of having the whole screen go black and losing all your engine indications? Seems like all our eggs are in one basket.

George
I have sold and installed quite a few. Only issue I have had was those very early screens and the old spade connectors. My Dad left my place once and his oil pressure got erratic and there was no way the pressure could go that high and that low that fast. He turned around and landed and after taking the connector to the transducer it worked fine. I have had issues over the years with flexible pressure lines on the original equipment cracking and spewing oil as well. Everything has a failure point I guess.

What’s the chances of, the alternator failing, the battery dying and the engine gauges going black AND the oil
Pressure dropping and having a catastrophic engine failure? Probably pretty low. And if it did happen I guess it’s just not your day. Same thing with the unit failing. What’s the chances that you loose oil pressure between the time it fails and the time you land?
I’ll keep my cgr with no manual backup. It’s been fantastic for the last 5 years. Wouldn’t be without it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
When people start “what iffing”, I generally respond with “ya, but what if we’re attacked by aliens?” Some of the what if’s are about that remote. And then if one such event occurs in 20 years, they say “see!”..... Guys will land on 300 feet in the mountains, water ski, fly VFR on top or at night single engine, and then worry about a glass cockpit... we are funny creatures...

I had a customers CGR30P display go blank after a couple of hours. I called EI and they said, “Oh yeah we’ve had some vendor issues. Send it in and we’ll replace it.”

My unit burned up in the first 30 mins. Smoke in the cockpit. EI replaced it and new one works great. Mine is without oil pressure and temp. I like the mechanical gauges

When people start “what iffing”, I generally respond with “ya, but what if we’re attacked by aliens?” Some of the what if’s are about that remote. And then if one such event occurs in 20 years, they say “see!”..... Guys will land on 300 feet in the mountains, water ski, fly VFR on top or at night single engine, and then worry about a glass cockpit... we are funny creatures...

Very true

Looking for advice on the best way to mount the control box for the cgr 30 and a trig under the dash of a cub

Looking for advice on the best way to mount the control box for the cgr 30 and a trig under the dash of a cub

Build a panel that clamps to the fuselage tubes out of aluminum and adel clamps with a little bit of thinking you can use some of the same holes to mount the trig bracket and the cgr stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A0DA6B83-AE41-44DB-A32A-BC84FE2877B0.jpg4FECDC85-2C26-4EEE-A4DC-FC501D4C5A5C.jpeg

Attachments

• 4FECDC85-2C26-4EEE-A4DC-FC501D4C5A5C.jpeg
    4FECDC85-2C26-4EEE-A4DC-FC501D4C5A5C.jpeg
    285 KB · Views: 214
  • A0DA6B83-AE41-44DB-A32A-BC84FE2877B0.jpg
    A0DA6B83-AE41-44DB-A32A-BC84FE2877B0.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 244
I do the same but mount them vertical. Clamp them to the cross bar and vee on the aft side of the fire wall. anything that gets mounted on the panel needs to be attached with nut plates and screws to help with removal.

Web

I like the screen quality of the JPI 900 series stuff. Light years ahead of their older stuff. And JPI finally wised up and made most (all?) systems primary instead of only five or six like previous models. But, like 'wolves said, the size of the screen means it's better suited to a bigger panel. The CGR-30P is still my choice for the smallest panels.

Web

Yes on limited space with EDM, but other advantages are the EDM series show ALL primary on main screen, and easy to see with old eyes.

MTV

JPI proved my disdain for them yet again in their customers service on an EDM350 recently. CGR30P will be here next week for my 182.

Sorry to hear that, Steve. I have had very limited experience with customer service, and that was several years ago. Was great then. Recently installed one of their units in my current ride and have had no problems.

So, how does the CGR announce an out of limits condition in something that’s not on main page? Is that what the lights are for? Never used one, just curious.

MTV

Just a note that the annunciator lights are optional. There are annunciators on the screen if you do not use those external lights. Any out of limit condition on the second page will still result in an annunciator on the main screen and external light if used.

Web

Just a note that the annunciator lights are optional. There are annunciators on the screen if you do not use those external lights. Any out of limit condition on the second page will still result in an annunciator on the main screen and external light if used.

Web

Okay, thanks Web. I figured they must have some mechanism to alert you to an out of limits of one of the systems not on the main page.

MTV

Sorry to hear that, Steve. I have had very limited experience with customer service, and that was several years ago. Was great then. Recently installed one of their units in my current ride and have had no problems.

So, how does the CGR announce an out of limits condition in something that’s not on main page? Is that what the lights are for? Never used one, just curious.

MTV

The main page shows all the primary functions. It has a warning light in the screen for low voltage.
CGR-30P-6-Cylinder.png

Attachments

• CGR-30P-6-Cylinder.png
    CGR-30P-6-Cylinder.png
    72.5 KB · Views: 1,555
JPI proved my disdain for them yet again in their customers service on an EDM350 recently. CGR30P will be here next week for my 182.

Steve, if you are putting that in a '58 182, I might recommend it to my brother who has a '58 172, he is making a new panel and has two AV30 so he wont need a vacuum system, not sure about the 182, but on the '58 172 there is not very much realstate there to work with, he talked about a digital tach but not sure what he plans for other engine instruments. Does the CGR30 replace all the engine instruments? I think I read the 1957 or 58 182 had an electric oil pressure gauge from the factory, does yours have the wet oil line running to the gauge, or is it electric signal?

Last edited:
I am making a new panel as well. Lots of room for the CGR30P. The CGR does replace everything for the engine. My oil pressure had a line up to the gauge. I will mount the transducer on the forward side of the firewall.
PXL_20210102_000121794.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20210102_000121794.jpg
    PXL_20210102_000121794.jpg
    123.2 KB · Views: 1,408
Doesn't matter if the original gauge was direct sensing or electric. The CGR comes with it's own pressure transducer. Mount this in any convenient location (just not directly on the engine) and route the wiring from the transducer to the data box.

As Mr. Pierce points out, the CGR replaces all engine gauges, meaning one instrument hole and done. This system also uses a separate display head, mounted in the panel, connected to a data box that connects to all the sensors. The data box can be mounted anywhere there is space for it and the wire harness lengths adjusted to fit.

Web

Has anyone been successful mounting the data box on the engine side of the firewall? Sure would be nice to only have one firewall penetration to the gauge.

George

Back