• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Cgr 30-p

I guess I am not understanding on how to install that

This is out of section four of the instructions. Just don't connect the caution/warning lights.

Web

Attachments

• CP-1A.png
    CP-1A.png
    93.7 KB · Views: 228
I got that but was not wanting to use a dimmer pot is there a other way to install it

You have to use the EI dimmer it doesn’t work the same as standard dimmers. If I’m remembering correctly. It’s been Awhile. I don’t think there is any internal way to dim the unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to use the EI dimmer it doesn’t work the same as standard dimmers. If I’m remembering correctly. It’s been Awhile. I don’t think there is any internal way to dim the unit.

You are correct, but the real question is why don't they just include one...

skysigns: If you don't want the dimmer, don't install the dimmer. If you don't want the warning lights, don't install the warning lights. It works fine without either and defaults to max brightness. What is your goal?

I got that but was not wanting to use a dimmer pot is there a other way to install it

Check your programming instructions. I believe that you could connect the back lighting to the CGR breaker and then program the lights to the desired brightness.

Web

Not correct for back lights. All E.I. back lights get brighter with an increase in voltage, as with using the CP-1A potentiometer. The stand alone E.I. gauges use the CP-1 potentiometer to dim the LED indicators (but not red ones) and they go dim with increased voltage. I just make my own.

The CGR has dimming programming instructions in section seven of the operations manual.

Web

The CGR has dimming programming instructions in section seven of the operations manual.

Web
Been there done that to the point of being ready to rip it out and send it back... their belief (the tech actually said this to me) is you need full bright at night because it's dark so I asked if he had ever flown at night... Even with their dimmer it has a very narrow range.

Last edited:
Yeah. Could never figure out the logic (?) behind dimming with increased voltage. At least they got away from that with the CGR. If you want a steady back light, it shouldn't be a problem. If you use the potentiometer, the instructions say to set the programming at several different positions on the pot. Seems to me you should be able to set minimum, maximum, and let the pot do the rest. But, what would I know, lol?

Web

Been there done that to the point of being ready to rip it out and send it back... their belief (the tech actually said this to me) is you need full bright at night because it's dark so I asked if he had ever flown at night... Even with their dimmer it has a very narrow range.
Calm down. ;) They give you an option now of how you want it programmed. I ordered mine and the last one I installed with a photo eye so it automatically adjusts the backlighting and you can custom program the intensity in both parameters.

Guys,

I have a suggestion I have that help you avoid trouble and frustration in the future with your EI unit. Take a few minutes and with a magnifying glass or what ever tool necessary check the connectors, pins and harness’s on new EI products (and anyone else’s for that matter). I spent thousands tracking down faulty crimps and poorly seated pins that were in the plug. Removal of the components from the airplane of what you can and further trouble shooting under the panel not being able to readily reach stuff is very difficult. Better to check this stuff on the bench. I love their products but their QC on my unit and some units of others I know have been a bit lacking. This is simple stuff and with a bit more attention detail it could have easily been prevented.

Just a heads up.

Kurt
Kurt, how long ago was that? I haven't run into that issue but good to know.

Calm down. ;) They give you an option now of how you want it programmed. I ordered mine and the last one I installed with a photo eye so it automatically adjusts the backlighting and you can custom program the intensity in both parameters.
Well good but I'm still PO'd at the way I was treated and what we had to go thru but glad they have seen the light, I mean the dark...

Without the pot to dim it, mine was programmed to full brightness. Then I went on a night flight and couldn’t see my flight instruments, ran into IFR. THOUGHT that was going to be my last flight. Not a good feeling for quite a while. Get the dimmer, almost cost me my life,

It’s been said here several times but if a person thinks they’re going to have to fly at night, get a dimmer. I end up draping a microfiber towel over my individual EI instruments and did the same with a cgr30 I had in a different cub. The brightness will screw you up if you are having to land an unlit spot.

Glad to hear EI offers that option now. Should have been that way to start.

F123797A-3522-4097-92C5-E51F54E65D15.png
I like the two lights, better for getting your attention

Attachments

• 73580A1C-930F-4B55-BFB9-0AF8D8D7E3D5.png
    73580A1C-930F-4B55-BFB9-0AF8D8D7E3D5.png
    195 KB · Views: 188
  • 5316B09A-4553-4ABC-B671-D1E36DA4C458.png
    5316B09A-4553-4ABC-B671-D1E36DA4C458.png
    195 KB · Views: 180
  • 57EFFA1D-A209-4E08-BB83-B69EF1BC5B91.png
    57EFFA1D-A209-4E08-BB83-B69EF1BC5B91.png
    195 KB · Views: 153
  • F123797A-3522-4097-92C5-E51F54E65D15.png
    F123797A-3522-4097-92C5-E51F54E65D15.png
    195 KB · Views: 243
I normally don't fly at night but did have to run out and help a buddy with a moose. We came home in the dark and being able to dim the EI gauges really helped. I have individual gauges in the cub if I had the all in one I would add the warning light I tend to look outside a lot and having something to catch my eye like that is helpful.
DENNY

I normally don't fly at night but did have to run out and help a buddy with a moose. We came home in the dark and being able to dim the EI gauges really helped. I have individual gauges in the cub if I had the all in one I would add the warning light I tend to look outside a lot and having something to catch my eye like that is helpful.
DENNY

We initially didn't install the warning (aka idiot) lights but last year I had them put in and I like it far better as they are a good attention getter for when something is amiss.

Kurt, how long ago was that? I haven't run into that issue but good to know.

A couple of months ago when we were doing the repairs on a unit that was installed new in 2012. The poorly crimped and poor QC on the pins and harness was astounding! My mechanic said mine wasn't the first he has seen, he has seen this on a lot of their stuff over the years. I do like the unit, I wish they had built my harness properly. Make sure you spend a few minutes going over the harness while its easy to do on the bench.

Kurt

A couple of months ago when we were doing the repairs on a unit that was installed new in 2012. The poorly crimped and poor QC on the pins and harness was astounding! My mechanic said mine wasn't the first he has seen, he has seen this on a lot of their stuff over the years. I do like the unit, I wish they had built my harness properly. Make sure you spend a few minutes going over the harness while its easy to do on the bench.

Kurt

There are going to be issues from time to time, but I'm not buying the 'over the years' line. I've installed more than most over the last couple of decades and I have my issues with their harnesses. Namely the crappy insulation on the individual wires. Melts at low temps and smokes when stripped with a hot blade. But I have NEVER had an incorrectly wired harness from them and never had a failed crimp on a wire. I'd like to hear what the exact problem was with your harness and how the mechanic determined that there was poor QC on the pins/harness. Keep in mind that the CGR-30P wiring diagram is the kind that shows all possible connections and not just the ones used for that particular aircraft. It's easy to get confused.

Web

There are going to be issues from time to time, but I'm not buying the 'over the years' line. I've installed more than most over the last couple of decades and I have my issues with their harnesses. Namely the crappy insulation on the individual wires. Melts at low temps and smokes when stripped with a hot blade. But I have NEVER had an incorrectly wired harness from them and never had a failed crimp on a wire. I'd like to hear what the exact problem was with your harness and how the mechanic determined that there was poor QC on the pins/harness. Keep in mind that the CGR-30P wiring diagram is the kind that shows all possible connections and not just the ones used for that particular aircraft. It's easy to get confused.

Web

Ok Web, whatever. Check them or don’t, its up to you. If you have NEVER had a an incorrectly wired harness or failed crimp pin then good for you, it sure sucked for me.

Kurt

Did he show you the problems with the harness? Do you have pics of the specific issues? When I work with the number of their harnesses with minimal issues and then hear 'they suck', I need to see some evidence in order to change my mind.

Web

Did he show you the problems with the harness? Do you have pics of the specific issues? When I work with the number of their harnesses with minimal issues and then hear 'they suck', I need to see some evidence in order to change my mind.

Web

Of course he showed me, yes there are pictures. I have NO interest in changing your mind nor am I trying to change your mind. You have your decades of experience to form an opinion. All I am trying to do is inform guys to check stuff when its easy to do before it gets installed no matter who the manufacturer is. You have had minimal issues over the years with their harness’s which is great but I had a costly and frustrating issue that I don’t want others to experience. I did not say “they suck”, I said it sucked for me, as in the frustration and situation. Actually I love EI products, I highly recommend them and I will use them in the future, I just wish I didn't have the problem I had.

Kurt

Last edited:
What are the odds of having the whole screen go black and losing all your engine indications? Seems like all our eggs are in one basket.

George

What are the odds of having the whole screen go black and losing all your engine indications? Seems like all our eggs are in one basket.

George
That's why I like a direct reading oil pressure gauge. All of the others, you can do without.

I love all of the electronics but I also like the idea of a direct wet oil pressure. DB96EC21-2468-46F8-A4AF-A807387F796C.png

Attachments

• DB96EC21-2468-46F8-A4AF-A807387F796C.png
    DB96EC21-2468-46F8-A4AF-A807387F796C.png
    909.6 KB · Views: 265
Back