Thread: Mounting fittings for LW2500 skis

Post Thanks / Like

Mounting fittings for LW2500 skis

Anybody dealt with mounting LW2500 skis on a new airplane? I have a pair of skis with the insert for the axels but they were used and I don't have the weld on brackets for the gear. Called airglass and they said they don't sell the brackets and I would need to send the gear legs to them to weld on the brackets. That's not going to happen so anybody done this? Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    I was told they send the gear over to Atlee for the welding. Might check there.
    Ed
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Atlee makes a bolt on fitting-

However, the deal with that is that the stiff leg that runs from the attach fitting to the front gear fitting must be the exact length matched to your gear, (Atlee and I had a long conversation about this 24 years ago). So you can either A, send your gear and have fittings welded on; B, send your gear to Atlee and have the fittings made correctly to bolt on; C, buy new gear legs and have the fittings made to the new legs; D, find a different set of skis.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but skis are soooo much fun to install the first time. I am in about the same boat!
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Likes 40m liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    thanks guys, I'll just do the usual, head down and charge,lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    I called atlee today and they said they couldn't help because the only do the work for airglass and couldn't even sell me parts. Told me to go to owner produced parts.
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Atlee makes a bolt on fitting-

However, the deal with that is that the stiff leg that runs from the attach fitting to the front gear fitting must be the exact length matched to your gear, (Atlee and I had a long conversation about this 24 years ago). So you can either A, send your gear and have fittings welded on; B, send your gear to Atlee and have the fittings made correctly to bolt on; C, buy new gear legs and have the fittings made to the new legs; D, find a different set of skis.

Sorry to be so abrupt, but skis are soooo much fun to install the first time. I am in about the same boat!
    different critter..../bracket

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    I called atlee today and they said they couldn't help because the only do the work for airglass and couldn't even sell me parts. Told me to go to owner produced parts.
    someone needs to JIG UP for this... I hear even Airframes wants a lot of $$$ for this couple tabs added on... did you call them and see if they will sell you them?

if one was to make a jig, I would recommend basing the geometry off the upper gear attach fitting, instead of axel itself only, to take out any error from bent/misaligned axels...

Post Thanks / Like
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	top_mount_brakes 003.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	243.6 KB 
ID:	39608

The tabs are very similar to the tabs on the outboard end of your axle stub. The spacing and location on the gear is set by the boss on the skis proper. The holes for all four tabs should be inline.

The axle stub is held in place in the gear axle by a single roll pin. You would need to drill the hole for this pin in the gear axle.

When I got my skis from Airglas I bought Dodge gear legs from them at the same time and they came to me with the tabs welded on.
    "Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything." Wyatt Earp

Post Thanks / Like
    ^^^^I did the exact same thing as spinner. Sold the skis awhile back but still use the gear with the tabs. Seems kind of a waste to carry the tabs around.
    "Always looking up"
    Thanks Eferr thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have the tabs on my gear but don't have the skis. Maybe you should sell me those Airglas skis and buy something different :-D

If I didn't have these tabs I'd be ordering a set of those Summits. Much lighter than the Airglas and no welding required

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthcountryPilot View Post
    I have the tabs on my gear but don't have the skis. Maybe you should sell me those Airglas skis and buy something different :-D

If I didn't have these tabs I'd be ordering a set of those Summits. Much lighter than the Airglas and no welding required
    Simply to remove enough of the tabs to clear the Summit brackets

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"

Post Thanks / Like
    I have a pair I would sell

Post Thanks / Like
    I talked to the boss about that and he wants to stay with the Airglass skis. It would be easier though to start again. On the up side I can borrow them for my Husky when he isn't useing them and I already have extended gear and the 1 1/4" axle insert.