• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

LED Nav and Strobe light options

The Vision X Optimus fits the cabane V like they were made for it

Attachments

• 5C174268-D3DB-460E-93ED-F90870DE8157.jpeg
    5C174268-D3DB-460E-93ED-F90870DE8157.jpeg
    109.8 KB · Views: 430
Is there a NAPA Airmotive equivalent to one of these flat-sided wingtip nav light bulbs?

Unfortunatley no. Disregarding the reflector, the base is a goofy BAY15S, where the "Y" stands for the offset posts on the sides. I couldn't find one anywhere.

I ended up getting a reasonably cheap set of bulbs (~$50 for the 3) that were aviation specific, but now I'm dealing with radio noise. I've debated on running shielded wire in the wings, but it's a flying plane and I honestly don't want to deal with that right now (unless it's a super easy task - is it?)

Does anyone have any recommendations for position LEDs that don't make radio noise?

but now I'm dealing with radio noise. I've debated on running shielded wire in the wings, but it's a flying plane and I honestly don't want to deal with that right now (unless it's a super easy task - is it?)

Does anyone have any recommendations for position LEDs that don't make radio noise?

Your nav lights are making noise?

LED's don't make noise. I've only seen a couple of cases of that and it was in internal problem with the light assembly.

If you want to wire your wings for LED's use three conductor shielded wire. Use a fiberglass rod to pull the wire through the wing. Use a solder sleeve and jumper wire on the shield braid. One conductor for nav light power, one conductor for strobe power, one conductor for the synchronize function, and the shield as the ground conductor. 20 gauge seems to pencil out for most nav/strobe combo's.

Web

Sorry, I didn’t say that well - my LED nav lights are causing EMI. Picked up by my radio as noise.

Is it tough to rewire a covered wing? No removable wingtips and the fuel tanks are fabric covered, no removable covers.

Last edited:
Yes it says: (2) Approved position lights.
It does not say approved by who or under what standards. Can't you as a DAR "approve" the lights as long as they comply with AC20-30B?

If they can show that it meets the color, range of visibility and brightness in the AC, then yes. I can’t do the testing, that is up to the applicant. For all certification work, “The applicant must show, and the FAA must find, compliance to the regulations”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you inspect the interior of the wings every year?

There’s more than enough cut inspection holes for the Piper 100hr (what we use for my condition inspection), especially near the controls and turnbuckles.

Just not a lot of them that are already cut near where the existing wiring is run. The rings are in the fabric, though I’d hate to cut them for a one-time, not flight-critical project.

technically... if you use the shield as a conductor like you say, it's no longer able to be a passive? shield...

shields should only be connected to ground at one end...

Correct, it's no longer a shield but the technique works. Still only a single path to ground for the light so it does not produce a squeal in the audio.

Web

Sorry, I didn’t say that well - my LED nav lights are causing EMI. Picked up by my radio as noise.

Is it tough to rewire a covered wing? No removable wingtips and the fuel tanks are fabric covered, no removable covers.

Describe the noise? It goes on/off only with the LED's?

It's a pain to pull a new wire into a covered wing, but that's what the fishing pole is for. Rout the wire along the back side of the main spar. Another advantage of using the shielded wire, as above, is that if the wire wears against the structure, it only touches the shield ground NOT a power wire (at least at first!).

Web

…...I ended up getting a reasonably cheap set of bulbs (~$50 for the 3) that were aviation specific, but now I'm dealing with radio noise....

I've had that same report from friends who've installed LED nav lights.
EMI, static, whatever....noise on the radio is noise on the radio.

Describe the noise? It goes on/off only with the LED's?

It's a pain to pull a new wire into a covered wing, but that's what the fishing pole is for. Rout the wire along the back side of the main spar. Another advantage of using the shielded wire, as above, is that if the wire wears against the structure, it only touches the shield ground NOT a power wire (at least at first!).

Web

Sounds like I don't want to mess with pulling new wiring then. I'll see if I can find the aeroLEDs for a more reasonable price. The Whelen Chroma are supposed to be quiet as well and might be a little cheaper.

I've had that same report from friends who've installed LED nav lights.
EMI, static, whatever....noise on the radio is noise on the radio.

Web, it's exactly this. Static on the radio and reduced radio reception. I have noticeably quieter reception on the radio and a quiet static in the background with the Nav switch on. Disappears when the Nav switch is off. No other change aside from installing the LED bulbs.

Can you tie the old wire to new and pull them into place?

Check the routing of your lights power wires and the antenna coax. They might be bundled together. Separate them as much as possible. Another idea is to go around and unplug each light, one at a time, and see when the noise stops. That light/wire is causing the problem.

Web

Can you tie the old wire to new and pull them into place?

Check the routing of your lights power wires and the antenna coax. They might be bundled together. Separate them as much as possible. Another idea is to go around and unplug each light, one at a time, and see when the noise stops. That light/wire is causing the problem.

Web

Will do. Hopefully should get some time at the hangar this weekend, though the weather isn't looking like a flight will be possible.

it's exactly this. Static on the radio and reduced radio reception. I have noticeably quieter reception on the radio and a quiet static in the background with the Nav switch on. Disappears when the Nav switch is off. No other change aside from installing the LED bulbs.

Same issue I have with my truck, headlights on radio goes to hell, lights off good reception

I emailed the company last night to see if they knew of anything that I could try. The replied this afternoon and said more than likely a bulb was bad. They’re shipping me new bulbs and a return label for the originals. He said they’d check them out when they got them. My assumption is to see if they need to clean up any manufacturing processes.

I still plan to troubleshoot a little with the current bulbs before I swap the new ones in. Just for curiosity’s sake.

I sit in my parked car with my handheld on, it's fine.
Start the engine, static city.
Ditto for being in the hangar & plugging in a charger or other electrical device.

I’ve been looking for experimental nav/strobe lights and the cheapest for the three is pushing a grand. Aveo daylighter from chief or spruce is about $1,000 USD!!!

Plus $650 USD for the taxi/landing light bulbs.
isnt there a better and less expensive option?

Its just crazy!!!

Suggestions or directions to used parts would help.

Thanks.

Paul Heinrich

Paul - Aircraft Spruce sells LED bulbs for $35 each. They cycle between flash and steady.

If you are experimental, I submit that you can build your own, including strobes, for under $200. The bulbs won't be aircraft quality - more likely they will be truck quality - often a higher standard for ruggedness.

You can buy LED position lights for five bucks - again, truck ruggedness, not airplane ruggedness.

I’ve been looking for experimental nav/strobe lights and the cheapest for the three is pushing a grand. Aveo daylighter from chief or spruce is about $1,000 USD!!!

Plus $650 USD for the taxi/landing light bulbs.
isnt there a better and less expensive option?

Its just crazy!!!

Suggestions or directions to used parts would help.

Thanks.

Paul Heinrich
Did you look here? https://www.kestrobes.com/triple-3-light-magnum/ A lot less than $1000.
Wig-wag landing light control. $50. https://www.kestrobes.com/ltr-landing-taxi-recogniton-light/
Landing light bulbs are extremely bright. https://www.superbrightleds.com/ Lots of stuff to look at.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/cat/par-led-bulbs/filter/Bulb_Type,AR111,30,3370:

Not to hijack this thread, but a quick question. Is a rotating beacon required? If so, when? My aircraft came from the factory with position lights and strobes, but no beacon...

No beacon needed

Not to hijack this thread, but a quick question. Is a rotating beacon required? If so, when? My aircraft came from the factory with position lights and strobes, but no beacon...

If your wingtip strobes meet FAA standards, and are visible 360 degrees, they meet the requirements without a beacon.

I believe you must have either. No requirement for both.

Beacon is nice for ground ops. I hate strobes on taxiing aircraft, even in daytime.

CAR 3 doesn't mention either but FAR 91.205 calls out 'approved aviation red or white anti collision light system' for aircraft certified after 11MAR96, VFR night ops, and IFR ops. Beacon/strobes not called out specifically.

Web

Yes it says: (2) Approved position lights.
It does not say approved by who or under what standards. Can't you as a DAR "approve" the lights as long as they comply with AC20-30B?

I can't approve them per se, but if they have evidence that they meet AC20-30B, I'll give them night, and if requested IFR.

Whelen Orion wingtip position/strobes, Aveo position/strobe on the rudder, Whelen all red beacon on the rudder top, and VisionX lights (2) facing forward with a MaxPulse flasher control in the panel.

All are very effective. I went with floods for the forward lights to improve the visibility area in front of me. These are recognition lights, not landing lights. Spots would limit recognition to planes in line with the spot beam.

View attachment 39660

View attachment 39661

View attachment 39662

View attachment 39663

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

This stuff work for certified cub? Need to update my lighting.

Yes, the wing and tail lights are all approved. The forward facing lights install will be up to your mechanic. My stuff is 5 years old. There’s probably newer, shinier gadgets a available these days.

Back