• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

New IO-520 Cylinders

S2D

Montana
What's the best bang for the buck on new IO-520 cylinder kits.
Thinking about putting new cylinders on a couple engines this winter just as preventative maintenance.
Probably complete from the piston pin out.

A couple years ago for me it was Millennium’s via Aircraft Specialities and I walked them next door to Barrett for a little valve love.

We just replaced Millenium cylinders on our Bonanza with six new Continental cylinder kits. IO 520 BB.

not the cheapest solution but my partner (A&P, IA, DAR) suggested that and I couldn’t argue. Replaced all hardware and through studs.

Between us us girls I think there was nothing wrong with our engine. No oil consumption and acceptable compression. But it was at the time limit on the AD requiring repetitive inspections. So he wanted to get rid of them. And we did. Along with $$$.

Rich

I’ll have to check on the cylinder kits alone as there was a bunch of other stuff in what I reimbursed my partner for. I seem to remember the price of the kits alone was in that area, maybe a little more but I think you can find the price on line fairly easy. I recall continental was several hundred more per cylinder than Superior.

Rich

What's the best bang for the buck on new IO-520 cylinder kits.
Thinking about putting new cylinders on a couple engines this winter just as preventative maintenance.
Probably complete from the piston pin out.

I guess I am asking why replace the cylinders if they are not showing the need to be euthanized. Is there something about these units that is bothering you?

Low compression on a couple cyls, replaced one cyl this year because of a crack, etc.
I replaced two engines with factory new the last couple years, hoping to get another season or two out of these engines before I go that route on them if the bottom end passes muster..

Back