• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Drone vs. wing

A friend was on final for landing in his Piper Apache when he ran into a radio controlled model airplane. It made a hole in his wing just like this video. The person flying the model was really pi$$ed off that his model was destroyed. Duh? Maybe he shouldn't have been flying it on final approach to a busy airport! He was fortunate that it was the wing outboard of the engine instead of the windshield. I would think that these drones will be more difficult to see than a model airplane.

Mike, I believe the drone was shot at it in a study to determine what sort of damage it would cause.

A video produced by the University of Dayton Research Institute shows in alarming detail what happens when a drone collides with a plane.
The test, which mimicked a midair collision at 238 mph, launched a 2.1-pound DJI Phantom 2 quadcopter into the wing of a Mooney M20 aircraft. Experts from UDRI’s Impact Physics group note that the drone did not shatter on impact, but tore open the wing’s leading edge, damaging its main spar.

In the time-lapse, the drone looked like a hermit crab going into its hiding place.

mike, I don't think that the blades would make much difference as the hole in my friend's Apache wing looked very much like the video. And that was at approach speeds not 238 mph.

Last edited:
I'm not worried about a hit on structure. I'm wondering what one of these things will do to a 1/4" Plexiglass and the occupants. How about a CF-6 or a PW4000 at take off power? I'm guessing it will be an engine shut down.

Last edited:
Back