• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

L21 windows without restoration

daedgerton

PATRON
Arlington, VA
I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but is it possible to do the L21 conversion on an "A" model (Flannagan STC) without doing a complete rebuild? I'm sure it would make more sense to do it during a restoration / rebuild but was just curious if it is possible...

Do a search on here, or maybe on Backcountrypilot - It's been done and one fellow in particular is more than willing to share how he did it and how to do it with you. It's been awhile but if I find it again I'll share his info with you.

You would want to have the fabric off of the fuselage at a minimum.
You will be welding to the upper longerons and all of the tubing structure in the Ag bay.
Clean up of the fuel lines and electrical stuff would also be desired to make it look good.
I would also plan on some tubing replacement due to the multitude of riv-nuts originally used which contributed to internal corrosion.

Is that a complete rebuild?? Depends on what you got. Sometimes hard to find a place to quit spending money.

You would want to have the fabric off of the fuselage at a minimum.
You will be welding to the upper longerons and all of the tubing structure in the Ag bay.
Clean up of the fuel lines and electrical stuff would also be desired to make it look good.
I would also plan on some tubing replacement due to the multitude of riv-nuts originally used which contributed to internal corrosion.

Is that a complete rebuild?? Depends on what you got. Sometimes hard to find a place to quit spending money.

Well its actually a moot point since the one I was looking at got snatched right up... But to answer the question it would not have been a complete rebuild... I figure it's probably best to wait till a rebuild. "well while we're in there.. let's just go ahead and also do this!"

Looks like I just need to wait and find an "A" model project...

Without restoration... Maybe if you take the wings off.

"Experimental" it is...

I've done it without taking the fabric off. Gotta be very carefull when welding.

Hope this helps...
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=bXF3c1hiTGVhQUJaSlQ5cVhERjd0anlNWXVpVjNR

Fb7BVvGfE8dPPmxgr_eWx3LlND1VKCKmJ8pNysnjd357sT5yX5kutbPG675lqZy_rv7IDtHsij7VsfLBo3JrA6YnbKZVYZprmfNG4XvdEwj0xyALcVfB9o196t6a7O8NbiddlPBLZwCOaILgyAVeMNfBbIE6OOYBw-2ZcpMJxr3phMmijvm9O0uPl6aklstH-Z6p0Kue1wcAPeUh1yYC9D1gCe_H6-DUR9MvBgSQfWgBf8mZckWJGgA9HGDprCZPCvclo6yy6dkjWvDb6eGj4zvvHQV2mR36xA04OmnfpshKLfi2MpTfveMts_AcCYRUnAVzgJRSnMLSoVZBsFLANfwXmpbq5byiHNt2Y3Cmm3P8UVwRWAk8Km46l91XT7shCBpVETYGrgpQEInuQCB8OdHNGjd_Mqs_orDylHZZFVsMDsoPoexHasmgmZ4rZ3b3Rcb87kC6A3AZ2V1b3m8WXRj1k764Pr-9YAIVWzvFSROtTyNTRncf2RZ43UXgvcJx2vYnoEuEqhmymXpp4RhQ_1Y_BiigWk5kPM0UpA-M0lSZ9pPZuxCoSfLf3AfO2QoY3QRD58QDz3_TkzhsLdwfAs81KbKgqNRM2CKxuNGxlPIh2OOdv5Ewdht6w16K04UL-qEhGHaMct6ejD0qneSxh1LNt69dKenQGbsl6vR_TZQEnVx0hz9cJktC=w1788-h1340-no

just use clamps... no welding on the plane needed
havent seen that done but could be done well and lighter than steel channels if aluminum was used.

maybe not a u channell, but instead a "shelf" with retainers that fit into it and hold the plexi.??

havent seen that done but could be done well and lighter than steel channels if aluminum was used.

maybe not a u channell, but instead a "shelf" with retainers that fit into it and hold the plexi.??

exactly,

using the clamps like atlee steps use... don't recall their part number off the top of my head...

also then you might consider it a simple "clamp in installation and not major change"..........?....

exactly,

using the clamps like atlee steps use... don't recall their part number off the top of my head...

also then you might consider it a simple "clamp in installation and not major change"..........?....

Might work but he was asking about the Flanagan STC for an 18A.

All of the window attachment portions are welded on.
Its the only STC available for removing the hopper lid, and changing to glass that exists.

Thrustline Mark has done the L21 glas on a stock PA18 that was covered. Better visibility when fish spotting. Were you looking at the A model for $65K? Figured it went quick.

That -18A in WI was posted for 12 hours before I saw it and called him, based on the timestamp. He was expecting a guy any moment, a second buyer was driving up that afternoon, and a fellow from Texas had called to buy it over the phone. (He didn't say why he didn't sell it over the phone) I figured it would be gone by the weekend if neither of the two showing up that day bought it.

Supercubs are still crazy in demand, so anything good under 75-80 sells instantly.

Thrustline Mark has done the L21 glas on a stock PA18 that was covered. Better visibility when fish spotting.

Yup, found the message - it was Mark that did it as Steve said. Couldn't find the forum thread but he passed on his number and said to call and he would explain how he did it.

pb

Isn't a window change to a factory configuration just a logbook entry? Actually, couldn't you just change an "A" fuselage to a standard one simply based on factory drawings? If not, I am in trouble - I like L-4 windows, and one of those should fly in the next five years, with my signature on it. We just referenced the Piper drawings.

That -18A in WI was posted for 12 hours before I saw it and called him, based on the timestamp. He was expecting a guy any moment, a second buyer was driving up that afternoon, and a fellow from Texas had called to buy it over the phone. (He didn't say why he didn't sell it over the phone) I figured it would be gone by the weekend if neither of the two showing up that day bought it.

Supercubs are still crazy in demand, so anything good under 75-80 sells instantly.

That was the one I was looking at... guy was enroute with a deposit when I called!

Thrustline Mark has done the L21 glas on a stock PA18 that was covered. Better visibility when fish spotting. Were you looking at the A model for $65K? Figured it went quick.

Yes... that was the one. Seemed pretty nice. I think maybe I'll just look for a project at this point so I can have it exactly how I want it.

Talked with a guy today that looked at that cub a few days ago and it sounds like an over priced project plane.

Are you talking about the one in WI or in IL? The one on Bstorm in WI seemed pretty decent. The one Bstorm in IL seems like it may need some TLC. Hard for me to tell just from pictures on the interwebs..

The one in Wisconsin, things are not what they always seem. The one in Illinois was originally from a town about 45miles from me and I think it was owned by one of our own members not to long ago.

Yes sir! Things are not always what they seem!!!

Back