• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Amazing

Hey, Pat Owned the seaplane outfit in Ely, MN that flew into the boundary waters area prior to the feds shutting down seaplane access. Same guy? He had a Beech 18 on floats and Beavers, etc....many others I believe...he was a main character in the book Bush Pilots legends of the old and bold.

Lol
Pat Magie is the real deal! He had Wilderness Wings Airways in Ely for Years. He was part 135, and there was a young FAA inspector that was quite a burr under Pats saddle, and Pat did not like him or his attitude. So finally one day he was at the seaplane base struting his stuff. But Pat had a guts full of him........ So he backed him down to the end of the Dock; and then knocked him on his ass and right off into the lake..............However It cost him his certificate; and alot more, before it was over, according to the rumor. We used to see him around Alaska from time to time flying his Beech 18 on floats doing tours in the 80's. He is a really nice guy, and heck of a float pilot. Got some awesome storys.

Last edited:
Totally concur! I met Pat while stationed in Hawaii. I had stopped at his place of business to inquire on getting my SES rating. Had a dang good time talking to him. Very nice guy full of exciting stories!!

I think that business opportunity would be a great thing for someone younger.

Pat's son Pat, also a very nice and proficient pilot was lost in the past year in the crash of a Kodiak in Florida. I understand his desire to empty his canoe.

I’m directly across from Pat’s Seaplane Base on Lagoon Drive (Mauna Loa Helicopters). They just did a Hawaii Five O scene there on Tuesday. World famous guy for sure.

I’d be curious to know exactly what “accident-free” means. Nothing negative meant toward him; I’d love to read the book. Just saying I would think that 40,000 accident-free hours of that type of flying would be a statistical anomaly...

I’d be curious to know exactly what “accident-free” means. Nothing negative meant toward him; I’d love to read the book. Just saying I would think that 40,000 accident-free hours of that type of flying would be a statistical anomaly...

Pat said he has had 5 engine failures. Never scratched the plane, however put a few holes in the floats.

There was a Beech 18 on floats that used to visit Fairbanks for a few days last Century....wonder if that was him?

Gary

closed.png

According to google.. also the website is dead...

sj

Attachments

• closed.png
    closed.png
    150.7 KB · Views: 162
Gary,
That was probably Pat; if it was in the 80's. He was doing trips that included flying the boundaries of Alaska. Told me he lost an engine in the 18 one time and landed on a big lake and spent the nite, next day he decided to taxi the 18 about 35 miles to the other end of the lake to an Indian village,bout half way there, the wind came up, then got to howling. He said there was huge waves coming straight down the lake , took many hours to finally make it to the village . Arriving on fumes.
He is a true wilderness fella, and kinda man you wanta be around. Living legend in the the float plane community.

Sent from my moto e5 go using SuperCub.Org mobile app

That was likely him. Wish I'd been more forward and stopped to visit. They were a touring group I was told that stopped around Alaska to see the sites sounds and smells (fuel truck driver mentioned that) every summer for a few years. I did see a few takeoffs and that Beech did good or at least it sounded like a proper multi floatplane should under full thunder.

Aurora Air Service in Fairbanks had one on wheels earlier. A young Dennis Parrish flew it and said the very best thing about the job was flying the Beech 18. Might be addictive.

Gary

Pat is retired and lives in Washington state now. You can get the book by calling Pat at 406-885-7124. I would guess buying books from the author is a better choice than buying them from an online source. I also got this info from the "Ely Echo Newspaper."

Last edited:
Back