• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

O200 Cam Follower Corrosion

Dan Gervae

FRIEND
Upper Peninsula of Michigan
Have any of you guys ever seen just one of the cam followers corroded. I just pulled the oil sump and did an internal inspection on my engine....(overhauled in 2014 not run yet) it’s been stored inside the house here in the den:) it’s super clean inside except for #2 cylinder cam follower body. Can this be cleaned up without disassembly of the case? The face looks clean and the cam loves show no sign of corrosion of any kind.
FAF39EAF-AB7F-430E-B541-27CA28187812.jpg

Attachments

• FAF39EAF-AB7F-430E-B541-27CA28187812.jpg
    FAF39EAF-AB7F-430E-B541-27CA28187812.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 205
Doesn't look all that bad from here. Sure that part of the lifter ever has to contact anything else?

My original A-65 had badly pitted lifter faces, from being parked in Alabama too long. I was only making $93 a month, so elected to re-use them. Fifteen hundred hours later I replaced it with an 85. Never a problem.

It moves fine and the face is perfect so I’ll do as you say. I was just being cautious before I put it on my plane

It moves fine and the face is perfect so I’ll do as you say. I was just being cautious before I put it on my plane

Did you remove the rocker and pushrod and check that it travels full stroke smoothly?
After a check make sure everything gets oil on it such that all steel and other moving parts are preserved for continued storage.

Back