• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Lumber without a rack?

TurboBeaver

Northern Maine
This was how lots of guides hauled lumber to built camps before the " lumber racks" showed up. Thought some might enjoy the pics??
The fella on left is Jack Jonas of Jonas Bros Taxidermy in Denver , Co. 20180914_122416~2.jpg
Should be 32 pieces there 2x4 on wings, 2x6 on sides. They say it was tricky going in over the lower door, but I couldnt say for sure......... Then even heard you filled the lower baggage with plywood sheets ripped in half??
Then loaded the heavy stuff ontop of the plywood. But of
course, that was probably just a rumor.:-?
Circa 1979.

Attachments

• 20180914_122416~2.jpg
    20180914_122416~2.jpg
    156.3 KB · Views: 1,418
Last edited:
Is this the pre flight picture or the post flight picture?

Your story doesn't seem to indicate if they were successful or not..definitely like the history.

I can't find the old pic of Mark Bills hauling long lumber on his Cub, but I remember it pretty well. Impressive. So are pics of a friend with a SkiDoo under his Cub. I've heard of a washing machine lashed to a Cub but never saw it.

Up to 12' lumber is easier to haul in a Skywagon. When stuff doesn't fit I hire a Beaver on floats. Counter tops, Rohn radio tower, etc. Or a friend's Moose to haul in a big outboard. I've helped a friend stuff a full size 4 wheeler into a U206 more than once. Fun stuff looking back. Because the hard work part is easy to forget!

This would be a great photo for the current owner of that bird. If it's not the same owner from way back when.. And assuming it's still an in-use/flyable airplane.

heard it was common to use 55 gal drum on side on struts against passenger side, SuperCub...on plywood..

"no step" :)

Skukum12,
That is preflight to camp. We were always sucessful! Lol
That Cub was brand new at that time belonged to Ward Gay, he owned Sea Airmotive and Valhalla Lodge. Nicest fella you would ever meet. Old time Alaskan family.

I can't find the old pic of Mark Bills hauling long lumber on his Cub, but I remember it pretty well. Impressive. So are pics of a friend with a SkiDoo under his Cub. I've heard of a washing machine lashed to a Cub but never saw it.

Up to 12' lumber is easier to haul in a Skywagon. When stuff doesn't fit I hire a Beaver on floats. Counter tops, Rohn radio tower, etc. Or a friend's Moose to haul in a big outboard. I've helped a friend stuff a full size 4 wheeler into a U206 more than once. Fun stuff looking back. Because the hard work part is easy to forget!
443F5355-F79C-4EE0-A1F8-21210049FA45.jpeg
?

Attachments

• 443F5355-F79C-4EE0-A1F8-21210049FA45.jpeg
    443F5355-F79C-4EE0-A1F8-21210049FA45.jpeg
    72.3 KB · Views: 1,133
Pah River Gary among others would fly to a dry spot to drop off snowgo for later use. Wheels and skis if the ground clearance allowed. With ropes and work tied the machine in a safe spot sometimes up a tree. Went back on skis and trapped where nobody was. Worked. The best I've ever met.

Gary

This was how lots of guides hauled lumber to built camps before the " lumber racks" showed up. Thought some might enjoy the pics??
The fella on left is Jack Jonas of Jonas Bros Taxidermy in Denver , Co. View attachment 38844
Should be 32 pieces there 2x4 on wings, 2x6 on sides. They say it was tricky going in over the lower door, but I couldnt say for sure......... Then even heard you filled the lower baggage with plywood sheets ripped in half??
Then loaded the heavy stuff ontop of the plywood. But of
course, that was probably just a rumor.:-?
Circa 1979.
Is there a trick to this to prevent crushing the formers and stringers in the rear turtledeck?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Where are the attachment points used for the lumber racks that are in use on Super Cubs ? I have a need to design something similar. Thanks for any input or pictures.

Eddy

Back