Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SOLDOTNA ALASKA ALERT: Aircraft Thieves

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    Hi 85hp tcart (love them!)

Touche' but the scarecrow was yours, I merely obliged by shooting the holes in it. PM (per your request) to follow. But after out trail ride on the mules

Take care, Rob
    Good we'll have a good visit and exchange via PM. Maybe share something too about each other's perspective of here and there.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    It's a different world out there now than it used to be.
    Nowadays there's lots of hard core drug activity, and resulting thievery. And some resulting violence.
    And just plain old dirt bag behavior- some drug related, some not. Everywhere.
    I grew up in southwest Los Angeles, but for about 25 years now I've lived on the Olympic Peninsula in rural western Washington.
    For a long time I liked to think that bad stuff was confined to the "big city".....
    until about 10 years ago when a long-time local couple were murdered in a home invasion type situation.
    They lived about 5 miles from me, and the man's niece owns the café at my airport.More recently a local friend had his house burgled while he & his wife were out for a 20 minute walk.
    So now I'm more inclined to greet a stranger on my property with a gun in my pocket than a smile on my face.
    Sad but true.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    In the 30 years I've had a remote cabin I can't count how many people have gone out of their way to come into my yard and sometimes bang on my door. Each time I've done what I could to help them whether they needed directions, a couple of gallons of gas, first aid, dry socks, a place to warm up, a tow, a ride, etc. Not once did it occur to me to pull a gun and scare them off. Several times I can recall being the guy that passed a no trespassing sign and banged on a door, and each time those folks treated me well. I hope I never run into you gun wielding hermits, but if you happen into my yard needing something? I'll do what I can to help.

To Phil, I also understand the occasional need to move somebody along. Did it myself a couple of weeks ago when a had a squatter on a piece of property I own. Not a friendly encounter but no gun needed. I've had my share of thieves helping themselves to my fuel and even one truck so far this year, so I'm not naive to the issues.
    Last edited by stewartb; 09-05-2018 at 12:58 PM.
    Thanks ag-pilot thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair, cubdriver2, SteveE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    stewart, you are comparing apples to oranges. Remote property where it's pretty much aircraft access only, uninvited visitors would normally be considered legit.

Living on the road system and having unknown characters just show up and start snapping photos with a shuck and jive story is a problem that needs to be handled swiftly, carefully and leaving no doubts in the visitors minds.
    "Always looking up"

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to argue, but there's lots of traffic by my cabin. And I understand the other issues where there's road access. I don't need a gun when somebody pulls into my driveway and I can't assume every car that drives by slowly has sinister intentions. If you turn off social media discussions about crime in Alaska 99% of Alaskans wouldn't know there was a crime problem. To me that means the problem is mostly social media.
    Likes mike mcs repair, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's a summary of reported crime in Alaska for 2017. Draw your own conclusions as to what and why some criminal acts have shown a recent increase from a prior trend:

https://dps.alaska.gov/getmedia/905b...-8-9-18-LOCKED

And a media take as to why in some areas:

https://www.quora.com/Why-is-the-cri...Alaska-so-high

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    My take? An unknown individual showing up at my place is just that, unknown. Gotta play it by ear. I've only had a problem once, physically attacked inside my home. My handgun played a role until the Alaska State Troopers arrived and arrested the fellow.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)
    Likes PerryB, mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Rob, no worries.
    Stewart, appreciate your latest comment to me.
    Gary, thanks.

Everyone, my original post was only intended as a warning.

No one knows what's occurred before this event, and no one was there during this event but me so no one has a clue as to what triggered my reaction other then the words I wrote. My original post was only intended as a warning.

When I first purchased this place no one ever came down my driveway except those that belonged (utilities, delivery, friends, tax accessors, etc) and of course the asphalt gypsies. But a year or so ago something changed. More and more vehicles who didn't belong started coming down my driveway, most all the way to the cabin then turning around and leaving. And these were only the ones I saw. I assume there are lots more when I not here. 99% of the time I just let them do their thing. They are not using my driveway as a turn around because right across the highway there is a big abandoned parking lot in front of an old closed down restaurant that provides a far easier turnaround. Some were obvious drug addicts, but others not. Now with fuel and two airplanes at my place, and with the popular theft of Avgas by snowmobilers, I decided I needed to stop folks from coming in.

Being of the personality that always sees the good in folks even when it isn't there I couldn't bring myself to post an actual no-trespass sign so instead I posted two black/white Private Residence signs, one on each side of the driveway, assuming they would be respected. But no, made no difference. Begun the process of figuring out a gate but this is Alaska and if you don't set things up before the beginning of summer you don't get it till next year- the construction season is just too short.

So I did the next best thing, put a red road cone in the middle of the driveway far enough to allow someone to pull in off the highway safely so they could then turn around. Worked great. Stopped them all, none ever came past the cone on foot or by vehicle, and no one ever moved my cone. Until this happened.

I walked out to talk to this guy and when I did all my internal bells and whistles went off. And I can count the number of times that's happened in my 62 years on one hand.

Afterwards I had to console someone I love who was robbed at gun point, beaten, and shot at- and suffers from PTSD when reminded of that event- which this did.

So if you think that I over reacted put a sock in it, you have no idea what you are talking about, and quite frankly I'm surprised you'd even go there not knowing anything about what transpired.

Thanks to the others who expressed sympathy or things to do to help with incidents in the future.
    Phil Whittemore
    Thanks 40m thanked for this post
    Likes Eddie Foy, Gordon Misch, 5nines, Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Phil,

We live at the end of a 1/2 mile dead end road. Take a look at a wireless driveway sensors (I found some that are FM and claim 1/2 mi range and will install them this weekend) and if you have a concealed spot put up a trail camera that will capture their tag number going in and hopefully faces coming back out. Our road ends at two heavy pipe gates into the neighbors ranch and one we share that we use a kryponite cycle lock on when we travel and then we have an electric gate further up we use for daily access control.

Kirby
    Remember, These are the Good old Days!
    Thanks Barnstormer thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Just one more point, if I may - - The most effective and dangerous of bad guys look for all the world like the best of good guys.
    Gordon

N4328M KTDO
    My SPOT: tinyurl.com/N4328M (case sensitive)