Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SOLDOTNA ALASKA ALERT: Aircraft Thieves

Post Thanks / Like

SOLDOTNA ALASKA ALERT: Aircraft Thieves

Just had a guy pull into my driveway, get out of his no license silver SUV (he was the passenger) with a pair of binoculars trying to see my 185. I confronted him and he said he was an aviation enthusiast looking for airplanes he could see from the road. Wanted to know if I'd give him my N number. Told him no, sent him on his way and called the Troopers. Spread the word that there are people on the Kenai Peninsula scouting airplanes to steal.
    Phil Whittemore
    Thanks Brmoore thanked for this post
    Likes Brandsman liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hope you confronted him with a 12 gauge in the crook of your arm! That's why I like fences and gates!
    Thanks Airguide thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Didn't own one. But I do now. And a gate will be coming.
    Phil Whittemore
    Likes Brmoore liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Yikes, I stop and walk up to look at airplanes and old vehicles all the time.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes 68Papa, mike mcs repair, alaskaoe, jprax, SJ liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The new breed of Alaskans is a tough crowd!
    Likes 68Papa, mike mcs repair, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Right after 9/11 this would have been a concern. Gates and security went up everywhere.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Trooper said the guy was scouting. My driveway is hard to see, narrow and in the trees on a 45mph road. You don’t turn into it by accident. And I’ve caught a lot of people coming down it. Some are obvious druggies and who knows what they want. I recently put a red road cone in the driveway and that has stopped them from coming all the way in. But this guy got out with a pair of binoculars and walked past the cone trying to see the 185. Nothing honest or innocent about this guy. And on his way out he used his phone to take a picture of my address sign. Why would you suppose he’d do that. He plans on coming back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Phil Whittemore

Post Thanks / Like
    Take a beer out and get to know the guy. He may just be an aviation wannabe. Keep your friends close and your enemies closer. And screw the shotgun posturing. Pack a pistol and keep everyone wondering. Heck, he probably had one on!

Post Thanks / Like
    Get some game cameras and position to catch them. Maybe one near the plane, one near the home if no passive security cams, and another near the road. Planes mean potential wealth to some and N-numbers give names which can yield phone #'s. No answer on the phone and maybe nobody home. Logged caller ID's helps.

Address signs = owner of record's name = other info. Anybody that thinks it's still the last century when it comes to rural crime in Alaska needs to read the Trooper's blog: https://dps.alaska.gov/dailydispatch/

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 09-02-2018 at 11:32 PM.
    Likes skukum12 liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Sounds like you need a German Shepherd

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cubdriver2 View Post
    Yikes, I stop and walk up to look at airplanes and old vehicles all the time.
    Me too....IF they're on a (public) airport or parked on or next to a road.
    Easing onto private property without an invitation or asking raises a big red flag IMHO.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!
    Likes algonquin liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I wonder if he took a picture of your airplane too with his phone? Like I mentioned earlier taking a pic of them is supposedly like holding up a cross or garlic clove to a Vampire. They get the scoots. Plus if they're wanted the Authorities can run a mug search.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Trained Belgian Malinois!
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	84D4EB5A-9263-4226-977A-E26321C28830.jpeg 
Views:	129 
Size:	398.0 KB 
ID:	38661

And a 6 ft fence and a gate with him on patrol. Problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by Indabush View Post
    Sounds like you need a German Shepherd

Post Thanks / Like
    A pack of Chihuahuas would sound the intruder alarm.

Gary
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Chihuahua_Guard_Dog.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	231.4 KB 
ID:	38682  
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 09-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
    Likes Charlie Longley liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    You guys are paranoid. Glad I live in a friendly place like upstate NY. No fencing or gates, heck half the places don't even have a locked door.

Glenn
    "Optimism is going after Moby Dick in a rowboat and taking the tartar sauce with you!"
    Likes mike mcs repair, 40m, SteveE, jprax liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    We're paranoid because many of the Lower 48 miscreants that you ran off have ended up here with little money and nasty habits. It used to be the cold ran them off as well but with recent mild weather they've overwintered and survived. Anchorage and Wasilla are home to more than a few.

Gary
    Likes mike mcs repair, algonquin, Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=Barnstormer;726484]Trooper said the guy was scouting. My driveway is hard to see, narrow and in the trees on a 45mph road. You don’t turn into it by accident. And I’ve caught a lot of people coming down it. Some are obvious druggies and who knows what they want. I recently put a red road cone in the driveway and that has stopped them from coming all the way in. But this guy got out with a pair of binoculars and walked past the cone trying to see the 185. Nothing honest or innocent about this guy. And on his way out he used his phone to take a picture of my address sign. Why would you suppose he’d do that. He plans on coming back.

Sounds like the county tax assessor or an airplane broker. Both could be considered thieves. You’ll know shortly which one it is.....The tax assessor will send you a letter telling you what he’s going to steal from you. The airplane broker will call you, every month, asking for the opportunity to oneday be able to steal from you. I’d feed them to the dogs either way
    Last edited by KevinJ; 09-03-2018 at 01:24 PM.
    Likes bowenjo, moneyburner, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I think a lot of people mistakenly believe that one has to be fabulously wealthy to own an airplane; and to them it's like stealing from a huge corporation like Walmart. They don't realize that for some of us our airplane is our most valuable asset; an asset which we struggle to afford.

I wonder if we could change that mindset by encouraging the media to print the backstory of how the victims of aircraft theft--whether it's fuel, parts, or the whole plane--sacrificed and worked hard to acquire and maintain their prized property and how the theft often causes the victim more than just money.
    Thanks jrussl thanked for this post
    Likes moneyburner liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    This isn't Chicago. Most Alaskans would see a guy with binocs this time of year and assume he was looking for moose.
    Thanks eskimo77 thanked for this post
    Likes 68Papa, SteveE, eskimo77, pfm liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Is this is their startup business: https://anchorage.craigslist.org/avo...687618646.html

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by stewartb View Post
    This isn't Chicago. Most Alaskans would see a guy with binocs this time of year and assume he was looking for moose.
    You know I initially thought that as well. I mean a guy traveling along at highway speed manages to see and stop and turn into my driveway that's just wide enough for a single vehicle and is cut into tall, dense black spruce intermixed with even taller birch trees with all their leaves on. With no sight that a runway is set behind these trees, and no way to see an airplane on it from the highway. And as his vehicle made its way into my driveway, without license plates front or back, and drove up to my red cone now just 150 feet in front of my cabin. And as he got out and walked toward my cabin walking past the cone and threw up his binoculars trying to look through those trees at the 185 you know what my first thought was? I'll bet he's just a tourist who is mistaking my green and white 185 sitting on the runway for one of those rare green and white moose that's known to inhabit the Kenai Peninsula. That was what I thought right up to the time where he mentioned he was an "aviation enthusiast" and could I please give him the airplane's N number. In hindsight that was actually his only mistake, saying he was an "aviation enthusiast". If he hadn't said that I'd still believe he had spotted one of those elusive green and white moose we are so well known for here and actually frequent my runway at certain times of year. I did do a Google search by the way and you are correct, there are no green and white moose in Chicago.
    Phil Whittemore
    Likes abrogado, Willie liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    The N-number to FAA records on 337's might be the motivation for the trespassing. Knowing what improvements have been added would be an incentive to return to steal same. Beware the Dog signs help. My neighbor has one and a Belgian Malinois for backup.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    But a Malanois will subdue him and install the desire to never come back. They are magnificent animals!

Quote Originally Posted by BC12D-4-85 View Post
    A pack of Chihuahuas would sound the intruder alarm.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Trespassing laws apply to everyone!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Barnstormer View Post
    ......just wide enough for a single vehicle and is cut into tall, dense black spruce intermixed with even taller birch trees with all their leaves on. With no sight that a runway is set behind these trees, and no way to see an airplane on it from the highway. And as his vehicle made its way into my driveway, without license plates front or back, and drove up to my red cone now just 150 feet in front of my cabin. And as he got out and walked toward my cabin walking past the cone and threw up his binoculars trying to look through those trees at the 185 ....
    Hmmm? Look a narrow dirt road let's see where it goes? Oh look a cone in the middle of the road, the owner must have left for the season? Let's go see if we can rip off his cabin or shed. Hey look at that he left his airplane here. Do you suppose that we could take that? Oh Oh there is someone here I'll just give him some BS and do a hasty retreat. Not to worry I can come back later though I'll be more careful next time.

Phil, The local airport has security cameras with audio which goes to the owners cell phone. He knows what's going on no matter where he is. I don't know what type of equipment it is though.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, confront them with a firearm (my preferance is a .45acp or 12 gauge or numeous others i keep close) or a shovel. If they are an aviation enthusiest they'll piss their pants and try to talk airplanes with you. If they are a bad person, they'll piss their pants and run (and they will tell their bad guy buddies your bat sh!t crazy and to stay away)!
    "There are 3 kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." Will Rogers

Post Thanks / Like
    Was there absolutely no plates, or "dealer drive out plates" on the vehicle?

Post Thanks / Like
    It used to be the cold ran them off as well but with recent mild weather they've overwintered and survived. Anchorage and Wasilla are home to more than a few.

Gary
    This would insinuate inner city riff riff which is a world wide problem and not the case for the OP.

We're paranoid because many of the Lower 48 miscreants that you ran off have ended up here with little money and nasty habits.
    And this elitist attitude is likely the only thing about Alaska I don't enjoy, but it is fairly prevalent.... Last I checked your state flag always followed the Nations flag on the way up, and never flew higher....

Other random thoughts...

I meander the desert a TON, and when I see a cool airstrip (abandoned , new, old or whatever) I note it. Frequently I revisit it from the ground when jeeping or hunting. Taking pictures would not be something out of the ordinary for me, nor would trying to figure out who owns a really cool airplane.

I keep at least a set of bino's in every one of our vehicles, and use them quite often. If it's hunting season, or if I am in a unit I may hunt later that year I may have multiple sets including tripods and maybe even a spotter. But they frequently see usage outside of game seeking.

Every truck / jeep we have has a gun rack, and they are frequently well stocked. I've never felt the need to brandish a weapon for eye candy effect.

The new Dodge has a paper plate on it... bet it doesn't make it till the new tabs come in

Lastly, when confronted by a new face with an attitude (not saying that is the case) I am far less likely to share anything about myself than when greeted kindly.

I find life wayyy too short and precious to spend it paranoid about perceptions. Do your due diligence as you see fit and move on to the far more important things in life.

Take care, Rob
    Last edited by Rob; 09-03-2018 at 09:04 PM. Reason: spelling
    Likes cubdriver2, stewartb, jprax, flyrite, 68Papa and 1 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub Special Ed View Post
    Wow, confront them with a firearm (my preferance is a .45acp or 12 gauge or numeous others i keep close) or a shovel. If they are an aviation enthusiest they'll piss their pants and try to talk airplanes with you. If they are a bad person, they'll piss their pants and run (and they will tell their bad guy buddies your bat sh!t crazy and to stay away)!
    A guy I worked for at one time had a double barrel 10 gauge. He leveled it at me as a joke and asked what I thought of his pal Two Pipes. It was quite impressive looking down those two pipes. It wasn't funny and I quit that afternoon.
    You can't get there from here. You have to go over yonder and start from there.

Post Thanks / Like
    My advice is to video while confronting or communicating with unknown individuals. You get the faces and vehicles. Next time you see a police officer look for the camera or cell phone. I've made many cases by getting the information the first time. One doesn't need to be rude just ask questions and capture the moment. It could prove to be something invaluable. If you are not armed then you are foolish. It's not being paranoid it's simply tools of the trade to compete with skumbags. AK has its share along with everywhere else.
    Thank a sheepdog today for they are standing guard!
    Likes super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Do you guys in AK have the "purple fence post law"? Its gaining traction in most all states, means same as no trespassing. It is just another "sign" but can give you more leverage if you ever had to file charges on someone. Most everyone now has a "dash cam" or phone in their camera. ........ If conversation doesn't give you the warm and fuzzy, tell them to leave now while you are taking their pic......... but always be armed. Its not like you can shoot the fockers unless threatened. Another possibility is they could be undercover cops. I almost confronted a couple unknown cars sneaking around the Newnan GA airport late on night a couple years back. I didn't have anyone to watch my back so called local cop friend. Turns out they were DEA waiting on a Citation coming in from Mexico. ................ no one told anyone on the airport! My cop buds that cruise in unmarked cars don't ever have the same plates on their vehicles..... rotate any tag they confiscate and paper dealer tags too.

Like Teddy said............ speak softly but carry a big stick..........
    ......... It doesn't cost any more to go first class! You just can't stay as long.
    Likes BC12D-4-85 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Many years ago the Authorities in Alaska would take pictures at every opportunity of us and our beautiful unique airplanes. They built up quite an album of pilots and aircraft ID's just in case evidence was later needed. I doubt that was the deal here tho. Driving w/o plates would be a red flag so some prior planning occurred before the trespass. In Alaska temp tags are taped to the inside of the rear window not on the outside of the vehicle...motorcycles are the exception.

Gary
    Last edited by BC12D-4-85; 09-03-2018 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    This would insinuate inner city riff riff which is a world wide problem and not the case for the OP.

And this elitist attitude is likely the only thing about Alaska I don't enjoy, but it is fairly prevalent.... Last I checked your state flag always followed the Nations flag on the way up, and never flew higher....

Take care, Rob
    Rob the OP is trying to come to grips and deal with an alleged intrusion onto private property - potentially a innocent or maybe worse yet pre-criminal act. Please leave the Straw Man comments for a personal mail.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rob View Post
    And this elitist attitude is likely the only thing about Alaska I don't enjoy, but it is fairly prevalent.

Welllll, there is a sub-section of 'people' that have caused this, and for good reason.

Moving along-

Quite often we have conversations that words convey less than people's actions and demeanor. I was not there when Barnstormer talked with the people; he can not convey everything he observed and the speech cadence of the trespassers; nor could he convey what made the hairs on his neck prickle about them.

One thing I have learned after 24 years with Lyn- if she tells me to stay away from a person as they are bad news, there is good reason. We may not know what, but she has the ability to tell about someone being a POS.

I am sure had the people been polite and conveyed an innocent love of aircraft, and been able to tell how they found the plane- they might have had a different reception. Heck, I have invited folks to stay the night I just met because I could tell they were good people.

Thank you for letting us know about this BarnStromer. It is sad that we now must be vigilant to a point of being suspicious at all times. Until SB 91 gets resolved, the good people of Alaska will be suffering with these issues.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!
    Thanks Barnstormer thanked for this post
    Likes BC12D-4-85, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I am 100% behind Barnstormer on this. We live near the end of a cul de sac on a road that is much more public than his. MANY times a day we get very unfamiliar vehicles driving VERY slowly looking around. 8 out of 10 times just standing in the driveway and letting them see us causes them to leave the area much more quickly.

Pictures? Yeah, we take them too.

Meth heads? Very likely and also very likely born and bred here in the state of AK. And it isn't just the drug addicts out cruising for drug funding. My neighbor has a hangar at a different strip across town. His thing is shortwings. Wouldn't you know it, some a hole cut a hole in his building and helped himself to VERY specific aircraft parts. A single gearleg and a flap handle(installed).

It aint just addicts, there are some very scummy aviation folks out there too.
    "Always looking up"
    Likes BC12D-4-85, super stol liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    How many airplanes have been stolen in south central Alaska lately?

IF it was some guy snooping? Looking for fuel or 4-wheelers is MUCH more likely. Even a thief is smart enough to deflect his intentions. Thieves are opportunists. Make it hard for them and they go elsewhere.

Social media puts local crime right in your face until you believe you're about to become a victim. It's alarming how guilty until proven innocent is becoming the new American mantra.
    Thanks Rob thanked for this post
    Likes scout88305, cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi AKT,

You're right I guess... I certainly owe Phil and apology, as I was not there either. I apologize for sharing my opinions Phil.
    But as I write this, I can't help but be even more grateful for where I am. Because as I sit here on the back ramp of my hangar, I can look around and see tractors, combines, equipment of all manner, even airplanes! A loot in the millions to be certain. None of which will be under lock and key or chained up tonight. Perhaps all the riff raff from my state have migrated to Alaska?
    As for the rest of my day? Well... my grandson is in town, and I have no doubt he will be along soon to drag me out to the barn to get out the 4wheelers or point me towards the stable to sharpen his mulemanship.
    Neither of these is all too secure if anyone cares to join in. I won't even ask for ID.

Take care, Rob
    Likes cubdriver2 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi 85hp tcart (love them!)

Touche' but the scarecrow was yours, I merely obliged by shooting the holes in it. PM (per your request) to follow. But after out trail ride on the mules

Take care, Rob

Post Thanks / Like
    I understand the Paranoia, or being cautious. I live on a state road that is halfway between a major tourist attraction and Interstate 90, 15 miles from I90 and 15 to Cooperstown. My house is on a lonely stretch of road a half mile from one house and 1500' from the other. It's really dark most times. Before everyone had a GPS we would get cars stopping a couple times a night and park in front of my shop so they could get off of the road. Normally the interior light would come on and a road map could be seen crumpled up in someones lap. Most of them had driven what seemed like a long ways on the curvy road built next to a creek over 200 years ago. Most figured they had gone the wrong way because it couldn't possibly take this long to drive to Cooperstown from the intestate. Some pulled off the road too far and got stuck in the mud or endless snow we get. I have gotten out of bed more times then I can remember to help them get unstuck or needed a jumpstart because they left the lights on too long and killed the battery. Even had a few fall asleep out there. Most jumped out of their skin when I knocked on the window to see if they were alright. Never really bothered me till one night staying up late I watched the movie " In Cold Blood " Humm.... old farm house on a lonely road.... scared the fecal matter right outa me. Took me awhile to get back to being a concerned citizen from someone who was pointing a shotgun out the window a couple times a week. Life's too short to be that worried.

Glenn