• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

How to jack up a Cub

windy

SPONSOR
Utah
How do you jack up a Cub to change the tire if you can’t lift it by the lifting eyes on top of the wing?

Has anyone used one of these Tribal jacks? Would Cub gear splay out and fall off of a jack like this one?
042E3095-1D0B-4335-9E45-CFE1EFE1D904.jpeg

I’ve seen a jack that can lift underneath the wing at the tie-down ring, but have no idea where to obtain such a jack.

Thank you for for any suggestions.

windy

Attachments

• 042E3095-1D0B-4335-9E45-CFE1EFE1D904.jpeg
    042E3095-1D0B-4335-9E45-CFE1EFE1D904.jpeg
    20.3 KB · Views: 3,599
How do you jack up a Cub to change the tire if you can’t lift it by the lifting eyes on top of the wing?

Has anyone used one of these Tribal jacks? Would Cub gear splay out and fall off of a jack like this one?
View attachment 38587

I’ve seen a jack that can lift underneath the wing at the tie-down ring, but have no idea where to obtain such a jack.

Thank you for for any suggestions.

windy

Wing jack is most common way,can even be a 2x6 wit a tee at bottom.

Dakota cub also makes a weld on jack point for rear gear tube on fuselage

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

shove a 2x under lift strut attach point on wing, put a notch in a 2x6 for stability. Works fine for on/off tires.

Thank you Stewart & Mike. Any photos available?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I never had any trouble using a 1965 Mustang jack under the inner part of the axle where the shock strut bolts. I am older now, and use those Harbor Freight hydraulic jacks. I have three of them, used about once a decade to get the gear down on an amphib that has stopped in under 100 feet.

but for gear leg removal, I use a rather larger and more stable wing crotch, with safety rope around the engine mount area. Chock the opposite wheel and the tail wheel. Additional safety can be had with the Mustang jack in the crotch of the vee - light pressure; it is not a lifting point. And you can tie the other wing.

First of all...., there needs to be a better way to search this sorta' stuff on here! I posted about my jack system a while back and it took me :20 to find it again!
Windy..., look in "Tips and Tricks" and search "Airplane support". I made these jacks in an afternoon and they work really well. I made a couple more sets for a Super cub and a Carbon Cub and they work great! I use 'em whenever the airplane is parked in my t-hangar so as not to damage a wing in case of a flat tire when I'm not there. Also, it makes the bedliner job a snap! Good luck!

$30 Harbor freight floor jack, just inboard of the tire. I had to make a wooden platform to go under it to reach with bigger tires. Simple, cheap, works fine with 8.50's and 26 Bushwheels, but 31's might be a little too wide. Haven't tried it with them.

This is not an approved method, (So called "Jack Down" method) But watched a fella that needed to change from
8:50s few weeks ago and he had no jack?? Drove his Jeep under wing strut. Hooked a racheting strap onto the hooks
In front bumper and up on wing tie ring and simply jacked that wing down, till it almost touched the hood of Jeep.
Bingo! Had enough clearance on opposite tire to get the 31" tire on. Seamed to work fine. Probably too simple.So works with any size tires except 35s!!!!

Last edited:
I use two of these. One under each wing just outboard of lift strut. I fabricated a 1 x 4 x 4 pad with 1/4 inch rubber on top for each one on my 180. Lift the tail up to near level before you start.

AA42B2CF-35E9-4A6E-8D80-17779667098A.png

[video]https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200641746_200641746[/video]

Attachments

• AA42B2CF-35E9-4A6E-8D80-17779667098A.png
    AA42B2CF-35E9-4A6E-8D80-17779667098A.png
    173.8 KB · Views: 306
I use this. 2 cheap sissor Jack's and a 2x4. A 4x4 or a square steel tube might be needed for a heavier plane then my Cub

Glenn

Last edited:
I never had any trouble using a 1965 Mustang jack under the inner part of the axle where the shock strut bolts.
Same here, except in my case it's a late model Ford truck jack, but a similar scissors type jack all the same. Works great. Just don't use a Dodge jack. Bad things could happen.

Lift the tail up to near level before you start.

Eddie, how is this best done?

I miss just being able to lift the tail in the C180 like I could in the Cub.

I know it's SuperCub.org, but how about another thread, 'How to jack up a C180'. Lot's of photo's please.

I was looking for some photos on another thread, re lifting by the lifting hooks.

Sorry, back to the topic.

I use an engine hoist with a strap.

I have since extended the legs of the jacks. No more 2X6s.

Eddie, how is this best done?

I miss just being able to lift the tail in the C180 like I could in the Cub.

I know it's SuperCub.org, but how about another thread, 'How to jack up a C180'. Lot's of photo's please.

I was looking for some photos on another thread, re lifting by the lifting hooks.

Sorry, back to the topic.

Attachments

• 23B84526-548A-47B4-AA8D-F658C08D8621.jpeg
    23B84526-548A-47B4-AA8D-F658C08D8621.jpeg
    103.5 KB · Views: 205
Last edited:
I've always just used a hydraulic bottle jack on the inside stub of the axle. Might need a couple pieces of 2x6 for blocking. Landes 2500s and 29-11-10 tires. Block the other tire (and parking brake) and tail wheel.

Jim

…….I miss just being able to lift the tail in the C180 like I could in the Cub. …..

I keep a long (8 foot or so) 4x4 in the back of the hangar.
With a guy on each end, put the center under the forward end of the tailwheel head.
Raise it up, and roll a handy shop table under the tailwheel.
A good quick way to add some height to the table is with an upside-down milk crate with a piece of stout plywood on top.
Less teeter than the usual collection of 4x4 blocks etc used as cribbing.

I've tried various jack points for raising the mains, both store-bought and home-made.
Using both bottle jacks and floor jacks.
What I use now is a nylon strap choker around the gear leg, down low, hooked to an engine hoist.
Quick and easy, seems more secure than when I used jacks,
and doesn't chew up the paint on the gear legs like my jack points usually do.

All those rigs are too sketchy for me! This is what I came up with...., I can lift the airplane as much as I want with ease and it's as stable as a rock!IMG_0019.jpgIMG_0015.jpgIMG_0017.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0019.jpg
    IMG_0019.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 375
  • IMG_0015.jpg
    IMG_0015.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 450
  • IMG_0017.jpg
    IMG_0017.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 390
Back