• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

fuel injection and electronic ignition?

Ive been reading further into mechanical fuel injection and interested in the pros and cons for carb vs mechanical fuel injection in the cub. My take is the carb offers simplicity and lighter weight from fewer components and ability to start without power whereas the MfI gains fuel efficiency, hp, cost and weight? Attempting to understand the O-360/370 data i see engine manufacturers rating like 8 additional hp and up to 20 pounds additional weight for MFI?

Last edited:
Ive been reading further into mechanical fuel injection and interested in the pros and cons for carb vs mechanical fuel injection in the cub. My take is the carb offers simplicity and lighter weight from fewer components and ability to start without power whereas the MfI gains fuel efficiency, hp, cost and weight? Attempting to understand the O-360/370 data i see engine manufacturers rating like 8 additional hp and up to 20 pounds additional weight for MFI?
FI is more fuel efficient, from 1 to 2 gallons per hour. You do get more horsepower per gallon of fuel burned, however it is doubtful that FI alone will increase the HP output of the engine.
Carburetor ice is a nonissue with FI.
Starting without power is such a remote issue I don't consider it other than to carry an EarthX light weight battery jump pack like this. https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/earthx-jumppack.php I don't consider it safe or smart for a nearly 80 year old to be hand propping a seaplane, whether it had a carburetor or FI.
I never considered the weight, though 20 pounds seems high. The only extras are two fuel pumps and a switch/CB.
Couple FI with a light weight constant speed prop and electronic ignition for the best fuel efficiency and performance.

Back