• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Leaking port fuel tank on landing and left rudder slip

That dip in the fuel line before it enters the valve looks like a great place for water to collect. Might want to address that while you are working on it.
DENNY

That one picture looks like someone has already tryed J B Weld or similar on the back of that tank! That mess should
Be all cleaned up if your going to resolder your tanks.???
Again that was a try at a quick fix without pulling the tank?
Sure hope this whole airplane isnt the same as the fuel system? My header tank is mounted vertically. And I am not certain some of the other ser number 12,s ever had them mounted horizontally or not. Previous 12 I owned had a 4 way Cub Selector with forward added pickup outlets with no header tank. The one I have now is completely original with left tank original, right tank is
WagAero.

That one picture looks like someone has already tryed J B Weld or similar on the back of that tank! That mess should
Sure hope this whole airplane isnt the same as the fuel system? My header tank is mounted vertically. And I am not certain some of the other ser number 12,s ever had them mounted horizontally or not. Previous 12 I owned had a 4 way Cub Selector with forward added pickup outlets with no header tank. The one I have now is completely original with left tank original, right tank is
WagAero.

Yes, the definite plan is to get the tank out and properly repair/replace, I’m hoping there’s an easy way to cap off the cross pipe, so no need to drain the other tank too?

Fortunately the rest of the aircraft is NOT like that tank, although there is dirt under the upper panels which I’m removing as I go. In fact it’s pretty good in general and the bits that need attention are getting it, or have already had it over the last few months :)

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

WagAero.

Does this tank look like an original one TurboBeaver? Or is it difficult to tell visually? Cheers

Just me making my usual rant about the proper ground plane under n antenna. And I'm further north than you are so I understand the la of sun.

Web

Sorry, it is Alaska. Should show under my screen avatar.

There are places that give instructions on remote flying but it's going to be pretty basic. The best way to get serious training is to hook up with a local pilot that will give you one on one instruction. The most important part is making sound judgements about what you should or shouldn't do not so much as how to fly the airplane. The most hardcore pilots here limit what they show newer pilots. They don't want them trying something dangerous before they've developed enough experience.

Web

Sorry, it is Alaska. Should show under my screen avatar.

There are places that give instructions on remote flying but it's going to be pretty basic. The best way to get serious training is to hook up with a local pilot that will give you one on one instruction. The most important part is making sound judgements about what you should or shouldn't do not so much as how to fly the airplane. The most hardcore pilots here limit what they show newer pilots. They don't want them trying something dangerous before they've developed enough experience.

Web

Thanks Web! That sounds like a really sensible approach to keeping folks out of trouble, BEFORE they’re fully ready for it!!

I’ve got about 65 hours in a 180 Super Cub and about 10 so far ( but MANY more engineering hours!!) in the PA12 out of around 400 hours in total, including about 90 in the Pitts S-1S. I’m looking for some Flying the plane stuff really and maybe landing on a beach or 2 :)

OK, I'm going to the hangar tomorrow afternoon to start getting the tank out :roll: I'll be checking to see if the horizontal tank looking thing is in fact a header tank, but looking at the diagrams in the Univair parts catalogue, I suspect it isn't, but wonder what it is in that case!!

ANYWAY, I'm guessing that the forward (high mounted) fuel hoses will only come into play in flying attitudes, so I SHOULD be ok in draining the leaking tank and pouring its contents into the other tank and the fuel then won't flow back into the leaking tank ON THE GROUND. Can anyone please confirm/comment on this?

Question, do I need to completely remove the tank cover's hinged base to allow the tank straps to be removed, or can they come out between the tank and the hinged cover?

And apart from removing the fuel gauge and cutting the front and rear fuel lines, is there anything else that needs to be disconnected to allow the tank to be lifted out?!!

THANK YOU!!!

Philly

Philly.
I cant tell from pics. If they are and they have been modifyed to have forward pickups why would it still have
A header tank???? Do you have 2 fuel lines runing DOWN on BOTH sides (total of 4)or just 2 fuel lines????? And front lines go across top? In any case I am sure some of the older mechanics in England will be firmilar with how to release the seams and simply retin em . Good as new.
Or as the say in the land of the long white cloud. (NZ)
Bobs your uncle!

That picture of the inboard end of the left tank looks as though there is only one fuel outlet at the aft lower corner. The other outlet is on the top forward which leads me to believe that it is a vent to the header tank. If you can shut off the fuel from the left tank you should get no cross drainage from the right tank through the open line.

That picture of the inboard end of the left tank looks as though there is only one fuel outlet at the aft lower corner. The other outlet is on the top forward which leads me to believe that it is a vent to the header tank. If you can shut off the fuel from the left tank you should get no cross drainage from the right tank through the open line.

Thank you!!! Do you mean just shutoff the rear feed, or somehow close the front vent too?

Philly, It has been a long time since I have looked at a PA-12 so I have hesitated to comment. As I recall there were two fuel valves. One for each tank and they were on/off. If so, turn them both off. As long as that front hose is above the level of the fuel in the right tank there should be no flow through from the header. If you have a left/right/both/off valve selecting the right tank will shut off the line from the left tank.

Philly,
When you drain the tank, don't forget to have a bond between the plane/tank and fuel container to deal with static electricity. And do it outside. There have been hangers burn down when de-fueling planes. There are several good threads discussing this in the forum.

Jim

Things I’ve learned today:

it’s an aluminium tank and therefore not original :)

The forward pipe connection is very high, so more likely a vent.

Research I’ve done leading to more questions!! :

Is this a header tank?

Am I right in thinking the right tank feed is connected to the fuel tap and also the left tank vent pipe?!!

IMG_2685.JPGIMG_2679.JPGIMG_2680.JPGIMG_2696.JPGIMG_2694.JPGIMG_2695.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_2685.JPG
    IMG_2685.JPG
    208.3 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_2679.JPG
    IMG_2679.JPG
    170 KB · Views: 194
  • IMG_2680.JPG
    IMG_2680.JPG
    144 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_2696.JPG
    IMG_2696.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_2694.JPG
    IMG_2694.JPG
    149.2 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_2695.JPG
    IMG_2695.JPG
    175.2 KB · Views: 176
Thanks Web, so ignoring the fuel tap decals, what should the 4 positions do and what’s the half torpedo thing under the panel?!!

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

A stock, unmodified PA 18 system just has left, right, and off. The fourth position was blanked. But, again, that's if it was unmodified. The tank under the panel is a header tank. Do you have another header tank in the rear baggage area?

Also (if unmodified) setting the selector to left or right should isolate the opposite tank.

Web

Thanks Web!! Those are the markings on the switch, in fact with 2 off positions.

I’m pretty certain there isn’t a rear header, as I took the luggage bag out when fixing the trim and no torpedo shapes there :) SHOULD it have a rear header?

Cheers

P

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Back