• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

8 day clocks.

texmex

Hanging Rock, Australia.
Hi Guys,

Any recommendations as to where to get these clocks overhauled? Both mechanically working and looking as new.

Cheers,
Texmex.

(Sorry about the neck strain)

IMG_3727.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3727.JPG
    IMG_3727.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 223
Do you have a local clock repairman in your area? That would likely be the best bet since they are basically antiques. They are nothing more than a wind up watch in a different case.

If they are working, use them until they quit. Do not over- wind. I got one overhauled for $200 (relatively cheap) but it quit within a month.

So I got a mechanism from Clockit for $11, a vinyl stick-on decal from Callie Graphics (she has my permission to share) and installed it all in a 2 1/4" aircraft instrument case. Except for the missing windup knob you cannot tell. Needs a new battery maybe every 18 months.

Funny story, about 20 years ago I decided to buy a C170.
Went and looked at about a dozen of them and noticed that the clock was inoperative in darn near all of them.
After I finally bought one, I realized that they were wind-ups. :oops:

Funny story, about 20 years ago I decided to buy a C170.
Went and looked at about a dozen of them and noticed that the clock was inoperative in darn near all of them.
After I finally bought one, I realized that they were wind-ups. :oops:
This made me chuckle. Long ago as I was reviewing a B-727 log book I noticed a previous write up "Captain's clock inop". The sign off was "Turned wind knob". :lol:

I have one like the one on the bottom of your photo set adorning my desk, which is the cheapest way to fix it. I replaced it with an electric. Even after the install labor it was still cheaper. I did talk to a very skilled watchmaker who repairs them and he knows them intimately, price was 399. He told me that parts are no longer available and he has to manufacture replacements.
If you want his name I will dig it out.

Ditto, get an electric. My Wittnauer gave up a couple years ago and it was going to be $400-ish to fix it, if it could be fixed. I bought an electric from Spruce and installed it myself. Shhh!

I love the old wind up 8 day clocks, and have spent a lot of money trying to keep them going. Even had a watch repair guy say he would not work on it because it was for an airplane and he did not want the liability... like I didn't have 15 other ways to tell more accurate time in the plane :)

I love the old wind up 8 day clocks, and have spent a lot of money trying to keep them going. Even had a watch repair guy say he would not work on it because it was for an airplane and he did not want the liability... like I didn't have 15 other ways to tell more accurate time in the plane :)

Liability for a windup clock that’s not very reliable? That’s a reach, even in an airplane.

I have had two fixed by a retired guy in CA. Maybe $100-$150ish? Pm me and I’ll pass you his email. I don’t think he cares for a lot of business. Ps, they have worked great the last two years!

I have two in the Acroduster 2, both work fine. I didn't appreciate them. The guy who started the project installed almost all German instruments including the clocks. I needed a G-meter and the Flight Data System GT-50 also has other features including clock..... I'm clock poor.

Jack

Last edited:
I'm not an originality nut and so have removed the clock in several of my airplanes.
My wristwatch works fine, plus there's the clock feature on most GPS's and GPS/nav/sectional apps like Avare (which I usually set to zulu time).
I find a digital clock / timer is more useful than a panel-mounted clock, whether wind-up or electric.
I seldom use the clock feature but use the timer feature pretty often.

I find the 8 day clock a beautiful work of art. To replace it with an electric one would be like putting a glass AH into the dash. :cry:

On the CSOBeech site I found three company's that deal with overhauling them and I sent it to Ray at Chino. Mainly because my mate who was taking them to the States might need an excuse to drive there.

PIREP.

The clocks have been finished and although I'm yet to see the result I'm told the following. Repainting both cases, two new knobs some internal bits $340 USD. About what I expected. Ray said a lot of these clocks are rusted inside on aircraft that are left outside. No surprises.

He also said, and the reason for this post, that the wind up clocks should be removed and cleaned and re-oiled internally every ten years.
So for those who love the old fashioned clocks, when were your's last removed?

Cheers,
Texmex.

I believe it was Century Instruments that repaired my 8-day clock well over ten years ago. It's still working fine but looses a few minutes after a few days.
Long ago when I was a Radioman on Early Warning Connies, it was my duty to set all (at least a half dozen or more) the 8 day clocks onboard before each mission. I'd fire up the HF radio tuned to WWV and audio out over the overhead speakers. And set each one to the exact second (the time at the tone is .....!). I just saw in my ham publication that the National Institute for Science and Technology (NIST) funding for next year will shut down WWV and WWVH.
Talk about nostalgia!

Sent from my SM-T827R4 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have had two fixed by a retired guy in CA. Maybe $100-$150ish? Pm me and I’ll pass you his email. I don’t think he cares for a lot of business. Ps, they have worked great the last two years!

If that was Robert Steuber from Grass Valley he has gone west

Wish I had mine back, bloomen digital thing is way to complicated to be in my life.

Last edited:
I mentioned my CallieGraphics solution. Today I got some photos. Don’t be too critical of my instrument panel; I have 4500 hours in this bird and haven’t messed with the panel since 1981 (except for the clock).

Attachments

• D10B8149-EC16-4D08-881D-9AA8F817E691.jpeg
    D10B8149-EC16-4D08-881D-9AA8F817E691.jpeg
    261.5 KB · Views: 117
Here is the original WWII clock, installed in 1963, overhauled in 1972, flanked by some other clocks I am using in instrument panels. It is now dead, but I am keeping it. It’s replacement looks the same, except that it is always showing the correct time, and doesn’t have a knob. Cost under $25, including Callie’s superb work. Needs a new battery about once a year.A0AC48A8-401B-49BA-9136-62D54351F020.jpeg

Attachments

• A0AC48A8-401B-49BA-9136-62D54351F020.jpeg
    A0AC48A8-401B-49BA-9136-62D54351F020.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 145
If that was Robert Steuber from Grass Valley he has gone west

Ray Brack was the guy at Chino. He said he was seventy so the clock repairmen might be getting on in life.

Love that one on the left above Bob and great solution. If you remember, next time your changing the battery, would you take some photos of the innards.

Back