• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Fueling from cans on floats away from home....

Aeh

Finland
Hi
Normally when the plane (a Supercub) is at my dock refueling is done with a modified stepladder that is placed on either float. It is, however, too big to take along especially when carrying a passenger, so the ladder stays at home. This means that if I have to refuel (from cans) elsewhere I have to climb up (carefully) on the wing and refuel. Somebody told me ”no you shouldn’t be climbing on the plane you’ll break the plane blah blah...
IMO that’s the only way to refuel from cans away from home. Does anyone have a better idea?
Rgds
A

Atlee Dodge fueling steps, long step on right, short on left. I’ve fueled from cans many times with these. I hate getting up on wing, damage isn’t inevitable, but it’s likely. That’s why you see so many wrinkled boot cowls on cubs, or used to.

Steps work, still a PITA, but better.

MTV

If you actually are climbing up on a Cub wing, I suspect you'd reconsider if you ever built a wing. The individual parts are kind of fragile. You'll eventually bend or break something important and expensive.

I second Mike's suggestion of the Dodge steps. You can check them out on their web site. The are also a number of threads in this forum discussing steps. A foot-peg step on the front strut in addition to the longer angle-aluminum steps help spread out your stance, making it a bit less awkward lifting the cans up to the wing.

I have the Dodge lifting straps and thread a knotted cord through the strap's hole as an aid to stepping up and hanging on while fueling with cans. Remove it when you're done fueling.

I'll also mention my mantra about fueling with a supported funnel. Search for past threads. Anything that comes out of a can/jug has to go through a Mr. Funnel or chamois lined funnel before it goes in my plane. A supported funnel puts the weight on the tank cover and not the tank filler neck. Plus you can just set the can on the funnel and not have to hold it up over the tank.

I used to be able to fuel with 6 gallon cans,...20 years ago. I can still manage 5 gallon cans, but wish I could find decent cans of about 3 gallon capacity. The smaller cans might also be able to fit in float lockers. I've got a heavy duty boot cowl, and have occasionally set the fuel jug there on a towel before lifting on up to the funnel. Different kinds of fuel jugs have different kinds of handles. Some work better than others for lifting up and fueling.

Jim

I own 9 or 10 of these Scepter 2.5 gal cans, they hold 3.2 gals and don't leak. They come up on eBay sometimes.

Glenn

I have a Dodge long step on the right and short step on the left of my gear. When I need to refuel using cans I set them on top of the wing and use a siphon jiggle hose (8 bucks) to get the fuel in the tank. No spill, not mess!! Bushwheel bag with spout and on off valve is even easier.
DENNY

Depending on the type of floats, but they make steps that extend beyond the front of the N strut.

Mandatory in my book.

Edo also had a short step that gets put onto the left side where you don't need enter/exit step. But having a step forward and behind the front leg of the n strut gives you a place for BOTH feet that is not on the lift struts.

Aerocet has good steps that extend infront of the front strut. 4 20 litre jugs go in each side of the floats and its a non issue to refuel in a few minutes with a funnel.

Aerocet has good steps that extend infront of the front strut. 4 20 litre jugs go in each side of the floats and its a non issue to refuel in a few minutes with a funnel.
If your right handed you should be able on the left side; to jump right up onto a 31" tire and go right up over the leading edge with a 6 gal Jerryjug if you get the swing right. The right side is a bit harder......... Unless your left handed or as strong in one arm as the other?????[emoji6]

Sent from my LM-X210 using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I have to use jerry jugs even when I am at my own docking spot.

For my old Cub I made a extra long step that came out of the front of the pilots steps mounted on the float struts.

I added steps and handles to my Cessnas. I use a wet beach towel to protect my wing tops from the plastic cans.

I tried making a rope step for my last cessna before I mounted the steps. I put a rope around the lifting rings and tried to stand with my foot through a loop in the rope. That was almost suicidal.

FUEL BLADDERS or FUEL BAGs like AK Bush Wheel used to sell really make it go fast on floats. Just toss the bags up on the wing, shove the hose in the hole, and open the valve.

Attachments

• Mar 25 003.jpg
    Mar 25 003.jpg
    168.4 KB · Views: 241
  • 2011-01-01 003 (960x1280).jpg
    2011-01-01 003 (960x1280).jpg
    232.1 KB · Views: 206
I have not lifted fuel into the wing tanks of my Rans S-7 for the last 15 years or so. I also have not spilled one drop! I up pump using a high capacity racing fuel pump from Summit Racing, with a quick disconnect/screened intake on the dip tube 30" of 3/8" automotive rubber fuel line. I just shove it into the jug or fuel bag (it works on ANY container, no need for a spout etc.) While it's moving the fuel, I monitor the wing tank sight gauges, no overflow surprises, besides my tanks vent out the underside of the wing so even if I over fill it just dribbles out the bottom vents.

My quick disco, is plumbed into a tee, in the main feed line going to the mighty Rotax, but if I didn't have that, I'd just use a longer length of auto fuel line and shove it into the regular filler receptacle. I also have a panel mounted pump swtich and idiot light, all permanent to my plane, but making it all portable would be simple enough. All this works great, but my fuel burn is half a Cub, less then 4 GPH, so your wait times to fill would be longer, unless you got a bigger pump of course. it is the least stressful way to fuel I have found, I sometimes go months without opening my top of wing fuel caps.

If you get one with a long hose you can get fuel into your 5 gal can from your buddy's 185!! Great to fly with a big fuel tanker.:wink:
DENNY

Back