Thread: Big Alaska Taildragger C-46 N1822M “Salmon Ella” takes a hit

Post Thanks / Like

Big Alaska Taildragger C-46 N1822M “Salmon Ella” takes a hit

Hi all, Alaska news. First off, and best news of all, flight crew scrambled out and walked away. Longtime Alaska icon and veteran C-46F N1822M has taken a hit. The Everts Air Fuel air tanker world is down one for awhile til we can get her home and peel back the bad stuff, get the myriad cables freed up and pulled back out of the way and the cockpit drilled off at the Station 128 production break and section on a replacement. Not exactly a quick afternoon repair. Plan is though, at least for now, she will live again.

Details in simplest form as necessary: Routine tanker duty day, 2000 gallon load of heating oil, headed to destination. #2 engine (R-2800) had been running smoothly up to that point, began coughing and banging, no amount of cockpit intervention was able to settle it down so it had to be shut down, feathered, and the ensuing adjustments accomplished for continued flight on one engine. Flight diverted to nearest airport PAML whereupon landing landed somewhat long and ran out of runway. Standing hard on the brakes wasn’t enough at that point plus expander tube brakes are prone to fade as they get hot. You have to know, by that time they were HOT. Slow motion at that point, rolled down the berm and dug into the soft boggy ground causing an abrupt halt, aircraft up on its nose, then went beyond that and balanced precariously on its nose almost going over but then pivoted slightly, settled back onto the main gear and the tail kept coming back down and just shattered the tail gear castings as they slammed into the gravel. Cockpit got real small but no injuries to either man. Both have returned to full active flight status.
    22M is now out of the bog, moved to appropriate parking and has been dismantled down to the major subassemblies in preparation for its transport back to Fairbanks.
    Before the clamor starts for in depth details flight ops wise etc just suffice it to say there’s plenty of conjecture to be had from any armchair pilots and better insightful info from plenty of veteran pilots in particular those that have flown a C-46 and some on here that have flown this one specifically. The investigation is finished or just about and the accident report as the Feds see it will be available when they get around to it which always seems to take awhile.
    I’ll answer what questions I can as I have time; spending a lot of time in Manley of late. 🤔
    Take care folks, though never good these things happen and we are all relieved when the only thing torn up is, in this case, sheetmetal.

Cheers! Oz
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DAB460A9-2EC1-4CD9-94C0-274A4FA3B53B.jpeg 
Views:	422 
Size:	478.9 KB 
ID:	38201  

Post Thanks / Like
    I love that plane. Hope to see it back at work. Glad everybody walked away.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the information. I love that ole Salmon Ella girl, and it’s good to hear that she’ll be flying once more. We go way back, when she worked for Reeve Aleutian Air, based in CDB. Yes, before the silly PA designator BS. I rode in 22M up and down the Peninsula and the near Aleutians with Reeve crews. And loved every minute of it.

Sandy Jamieson immortalized her in one of his paintings, which I have hanging on a wall. From her time as a fish hauler, hence the nose art, Salmon Ella.

She delivered my cabin materials to Mucha Lake back in the day, 14,500 pounds of cabin delivered 110 Miles SW of FAI on the lake ice, for $1450. Deal of the century!

Thanks to the Evert’s crew for being willing to get the old girl back to work, what she was born for. She’s a good one, no doubt. And yes, expander brakes leave something to be desired.

Mom delighted to hear her crew was unhurt, it’s what a faithful old plane is for....protect the crew.

thanks again.

MTV
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Big Alaska Taildragger C-46 N1822M “Salmon Ella” takes a hit

Post Thanks / Like
    Kinda amazing what can be fixed with some elbow grease and lots of $$$$

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Post Thanks / Like
    Three cheers to the crew getting her down on a runway with one engine! From the stories Grandpa told me about the R2800, they get hot fast, and loaded I imagine the running engine was pulling high power.

All safe, that is the best thing to hear.

Keep us updated on her repair status. Love seeing her flying.
    I don't know where you've been me lad, but I see you won first Prize!

Post Thanks / Like
    I work at the Kenai airport and the C-46 is one of the few planes that still gets me to the window. Glad everyone is alright. Looking forward to seeing her depart to the South soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    At least she fare'd better then the Blue bonnet belle crashed on departure to Oshkosh, then burned up but all aboard got off safely thank god.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jq_CgAiuk7s
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUtxp4V-jPw

Post Thanks / Like
    Salmon Ella and Maid of Money were the two C-46's that delivered our fuel to the logging camp I was running at Icy Bay in'92.Les Bradley was PIC on most of the flights. Also met Merrill Wein and Don Holsheizer who were his right seaters at times. What a great experience to hear the roar and video takeoffs from the 3200' gravel strip. Glad to hear she's going to get fixed!!!

Mike
    Likes mike mcs repair, Hardtailjohn liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I just wonder how it hasn't showed up in the accident reports.

Thanks Mike, I mean OZ
    Tim

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the post- I’ve always enjoyed watching her in Kenai and glad to hear she’ll fly again. If there’s any way you could keep us updated with progress reports and/or pictures, I’d love to see the rebuild in progress...

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mit greb View Post
    I just wonder how it hasn't showed up in the accident reports.

Thanks Mike, I mean OZ

https://aviation-safety.net/database...?id=20180716-0

Post Thanks / Like
    Very interesting, All that damage to the nose and it appears that the props were not damaged at all.
    N1PA

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by skywagon8a View Post
    Very interesting, All that damage to the nose and it appears that the props were not damaged at all.
    Big nose......?

MTV

Exeter N.H.---Spruce Creek Fly-in(7FL6) Daytona Beach FLorida
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by aktango58 View Post
    Three cheers to the crew getting her down on a runway with one engine! From the stories Grandpa told me about the R2800, they get hot fast, and loaded I imagine the running engine was pulling high power.

All safe, that is the best thing to hear.

Keep us updated on her repair status. Love seeing her flying.
    hey George, Grandpa was right---they do get hot in a hurry especially on the tightly cowled Convair 340/440 with CB16/17 engines---with the "square" augmenters as opposed to the "sugar scoops"----we`d get 2500 HP with ADI---forget "Merlin Music"---these P&W had the sound of 'SOFT JAZZ"---I just loved flying that airplane---see you at the WAD---Capt Cub

"You cannot teach experience, you must acquire it."
    Captain Cub