Thread: Fried Radio

Post Thanks / Like

Fried Radio

All,
    In a stroke of genius I just inadvertently "let the smoke out" of my B/K KY-97A. Can anybody recommend a good (and affordable) radio shop that I could send it to for repair?

Thanks in advance.
    Thanks Rick-CAS thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Might help if you'd let us know where you're located.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 55-PA18A View Post
    Might help if you'd let us know where you're located.
    West Texas, but I'm happy to mail it anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall an Icom A200 is plug and play into a KY97 tray and they are a $500 or less radio these days
    Thanks Hendoii thanked for this post
    Likes mike mcs repair liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    ky-97a and a Icom 200 and 210 and a Garmin SL 40 all use the same tray and will plug and play
    dave

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks. Is it cheaper to buy a new radio V.S. having a 97 repaired? I really like the radio. I accidentally arced the hot to ground. Hoping that it could be reasonably repaired.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

www.SkupTech.com mike mcs repair's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendoii View Post
    Thanks. Is it cheaper to buy a new radio V.S. having a 97 repaired? I really like the radio. I accidentally arced the hot to ground. Hoping that it could be reasonably repaired.

Hot to ground? You sure ITíS DEAD? And not just no power & ground to it now?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Post Thanks / Like
    Bevan Rabell All rights reserved. | 1880 S. Airport Rd Wichita, KS 67209 | 316.946.4870

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org
    Likes OLDCROWE liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mike mcs repair View Post
    Hot to ground? You sure ITíS DEAD? And not just no power & ground to it now?

Yep! Sadly I am 100 certain. It was a costly mistake on my part!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flynlow View Post
    Bevan Rabell All rights reserved. | 1880 S. Airport Rd Wichita, KS 67209 | 316.946.4870

Thanks! Iíll give them a call

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey, If you elect not to repair,I may be interested in taking the wreckage of your hands.
    I have a KY 97 that the LCD on the screen has leaked out so I need a new screen,
    my research indicated that all repairs needed to be done by Honeywell through the SPEX program,just not economically viable to do.

Let me check my GPS, gee how'd we ever navigate with those sectional things?
    Post Thanks / Like
    Some of the King radios had internal fuses, not sure about the KY97, might be worth taking the cover off and looking inside for a fuse. Perhaps someone on here with more knowledge then me will wade in and let you know.
    Thanks Hendoii, Coulee Clipper thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ag-pilot View Post
    ky-97a and a Icom 200 and 210 and a Garmin SL 40 all use the same tray and will plug and play
    dave
    I bought and installed an Icom A200 several years ago,
    don't recall anything in the brochure (or even scuttlebutt) that it was a plug-n-play replacement for anything other than another A200.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    I am with Wire. Shorting power to ground would cause smoke, but unless you mean reversing both leads the worst that could happen is a blown fuse between power bus and radio.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ezell Aviation Breckenridge TX. These people are pretty nice, friendly and the avionics guy did a good job for me. I think that King now requires the radio to be sent in to the factory? Garmin too. Give them a call. (254) 559-3051 Ezell Aviation.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike View Post
    Ezell Aviation Breckenridge TX. These people are pretty nice, friendly and the avionics guy did a good job for me. I think that King now requires the radio to be sent in to the factory? Garmin too. Give them a call. (254) 559-3051 Ezell Aviation.
    Thanks. I hear a lot of good things about those guys. Unfortunately, I am finding out that you are correct that all radios are supposed to go back to the factory. Everybody I call refuses to touch it.

I am amazed that this policy hasnít destroyed their sales. I called the factory and all they wanted to do was up-sale me to a new radio.

I loved the radio and just want to work again! Iím afraid this policy will prevent that from happening. Guess I will start shopping the used market!

Post Thanks / Like
    my Flightline 760 worked great for 11 months. Then smoked. Sent it in and smoked again in about 2 sec. 12.5 volts in the right pins. We'll see, but probably Wasted $800.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d View Post
    my Flightline 760 worked great for 11 months. Then smoked. Sent it in and smoked again in about 2 sec. 12.5 volts in the right pins. We'll see, but probably Wasted $800.
    sounds like a harness issue, screw rubbed into a wire?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by don d View Post
    Did they tell you what they found wrong with the old radio? If it is a wiring issue (see Mike's post above) think about replacing the harness. It's cheaper than another $800 radio.
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Post Thanks / Like
    In my experience with my CGR-30P, you are wasting your time asking that question. All you will get is that it is fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    Did they tell you what they found wrong with the old radio? If it is a wiring issue (see Mike's post above) think about replacing the harness. It's cheaper than another $800 radio.

Post Thanks / Like
    My thinking is if it bench tested fine at factory in their rack/harness, and then blew up immediately after reinstall its harness issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Power to connector in proper place. I'm thinking they replaced internal fuse and did"nt bench check. We'll see!

Post Thanks / Like
    FWIW I had a King KT76 (?) txp in my last airplane.
    Didn't see the smoke escaping but one day it quit working.
    Took it into an avionics shop who troubleshot it while I waited,
    they found a blown internal fuse but couldn't identify a fault in the radio that might have caused that.
    Charged me $68, including $20 for the "special fuse" required, which I thought that was a pretty good deal.
    Txp quit working again later a few months later.
    I pulled it out and opened it up-- sure enough, the same fuse had blown.
    Strangely enough, someone musta broke into my hangar & replaced that "special fuse" with a garden-variety AGA-2.
    They're like 5 for 3 bucks at NAPA.
    Anyway, both times the txp fuse blew it was a hot day.
    I ran a scat tube from the little vent on the side of the boot cowl to cool the txp.
    Seemed to do the trick.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hotrod180 View Post
    FWIW I had a King KT76 (?) txp in my last airplane.
    Didn't see the smoke escaping but one day it quit working.
    Took it into an avionics shop who troubleshot it while I waited,
    they found a blown internal fuse but couldn't identify a fault in the radio that might have caused that.
    Charged me $68, including $20 for the "special fuse" required, which I thought that was a pretty good deal.
    Txp quit working again later a few months later.
    I pulled it out and opened it up-- sure enough, the same fuse had blown.
    Strangely enough, someone musta broke into my hangar & replaced that "special fuse" with a garden-variety AGA-2.
    They're like 5 for 3 bucks at NAPA.
    Anyway, both times the txp fuse blew it was a hot day.
    I ran a scat tube from the little vent on the side of the boot cowl to cool the txp.
    Seemed to do the trick.
    Funny enough, I never realized they had an internal fuse and thought the only protection they had was from the circuit breaker. When I initially fried it I took the bottom plate off to take a look but saw nothing. I started calling around and was getting quotes all the way to $1000 just to take a look.

Luckily I was reading on another forum and somebody mentioned an internal fuse on a different brand of radio. On a hail marry before I shipped it off yesterday I popped the top cover off and sure enough there sat a 10 amp fuse!

It was blown so I walked over to my toolbox and dug one out. I slapped it in, closed up the radio and slid it into the tray. Needless to say I was ecstatic when I applied power and it worked!

I learned a valuable lesson and will be much more careful in the future. Thanks to all for the advice! Still troubleshooting my original intercom problem but I didnít blow up my $2000 radio!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendoii View Post
    . . . Still troubleshooting my original intercom problem . . . .

Do tell.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Do tell.

Web
    Iíd love your thoughts wireweinie. I am transplanting a pm1000II and the aforementioned ky97 from my Rv8 to my cub. I had a local shop build a harness for the combination. It all works, but I can only hear out of one side of my headset. It is the same out of both the pilot and passenger Jax.

A secondary issue is that the passenger (copilot) side of the intercom wonít activate continuously while you are talking. If you start talking it cuts in and out no matter what you do with the squelch. The pilot side works fine, but you can only hear out of the left earcup. The harness that the shop built looks really nice and the pinout appears correct.

Suspecting a intercom malfunction. Thoughts????

Post Thanks / Like

Fried Radio

You usually have stereo/mono switch on headphones turn it to the other setting

Post Thanks / Like
    I agree with Mike on the 'one side only' issue. Sounds like you're using stereo headsets and PM1000II's are mono only. Find an old, beater, David Clark headset for trouble shooting purposes. If the issue is stereo vs mono, when you plug in the DC's you will have audio in both ear cups.

Use the old headset for checking the squelch setting also. Occasionally, some of the new, noise canceling stuff doesn't play well with some intercom's. Just plug in the old headset and compare setting the pilots squelch to setting the copilots squelch. If you still have issues, verify that the copilots jacks are actually wired to the correct pins and not to the passenger positions.

Some dumb questions: Isolate switch set to all? Pilots squelch knob and copilots squelch knob work with the correct jacks and not vice versa? Emergency jacks installed?

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Guys,

I tried it with an old DC non-noise cancelling headset and it still only has audio on one side. The copilot intercom is actually worse with the old headset. I can hear the radio in the copilot position but canít hear myself talk at all.

The shop did not wire it with three sets of jacks. I was surprised when I saw this because it had emergency jacks in the RV8 but they said it would work fine. Iím assuming I now have emergency jacks that serve as the pilot jacks and copilot jacks. The pilot jacks respond to squelch and volume adjustments from the intercom. When it pics up the mic (intermittently) the copilot jacks respond to squelch and volume as well.

Any more ideas? The guy that wired it just got back from Oshkosh so I will discuss with him before I ship the intercom off for testing.

Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Your test headset was mono or stereo?

Post Thanks / Like
    Your test headset was mono or stereo?
    My original test headset was a bose. The second headset was an old DC that I assumed was mono. How do you tell? I couldnít see a switch anywhere that allows me to switch between stereo and mono. In other planes Iíve been able to hear out of both ear cups with both headsets

Thanks flynlow thanked for this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Hold up the audio plug from the headset. It's the larger diameter of the two. Mono headsets will have a tip section separated from the rest of the plug by a black insulator band , about 1/16" wide. A stereo headset will have the tip section, which is separated from a ring section, which is separated from the base. In other words, mono has one black band and stereo has two black bands.

Web

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Web. Iíll run out to the hangar in the morning and take a look and get back to you