• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

EI CGR-30 Question

mvivion

SPONSOR
Bozeman,MT
Any of you installers have a ball park estimate of time to install a EI CGR-30P basic model?

Thanks,

MTV

Mine have been all over the spectrum. If I catch an install during major maintenance, with lots of panels already opened up, maybe 5 or 6 days? If you catch one in something like a Cessna where you have to open it up yourself and modify the panel, then it's just a time and materiel project.

Web

Lot's of variables just in the systems used on this system. I.e. fuel flow, MAP pressure, amp shunt, etc.

Web

…. If I catch an install during major maintenance, with lots of panels already opened up, maybe 5 or 6 days? ...

To me, a "five day job" is 40 hours.
Curious as to the shop rate charged by most avionics shops?
FWIW I think our local mechanic shops charge 85 or 90 per hour.
So 40 hrs @ 90 = $3600-- about the price of the unit itself.

Last edited:
Yep, 8 hour days. I charge $85 an hour but the guys in town charge around $100 an hour. The shops in your immediate area will probably be different.

Web

Depends on the airplane and what is installed now. Took me a day to put an EDM350 in a Carbon Cub. Was pretty easy because I was replacing an E! OT/OP gaug so it was a matter of installing the the temp and pressure probes in the same place, opening the instrument hole from 2 1/4" to 3 1/8". Power supplied by the same circuit breaker. No fuel flow added.

Have installed the CGR30P premium in a couple of Super Cubs both at rebuild and when doing other maintenance. Will look and see how long it took on a flying airplane.

I put one in my Taylorcraft F21. I replaced the airspeed ind in the panel. Not much room in there since the fuel tank if in the way. I estimated it took me at least 30 hrs. The local shop just signed it off. A lot of effort but worth it. The first unit went up in smoke, literally, but EI replaced it.

I think 20 hrs is reasonable for someone who has done it before, 30 hrs for a first time install. Before you commit to a CGR-30, look at all the options. I put one in 3 years ago and wish I would have gone with something else. You do not have all information available on one screen, instead you have to push a button to cycle between 4 screens. My screen died suddenly on a trip and required it to be pulled and sent in for repair (about $600) after only 2 years, a problem I have heard regarding the CGR-30 from multiple users.

Mine also failed at about 10 months. Repaired under warranty. Hopefully, I will have better luck with the MVP-50.

I think 20 hrs is reasonable for someone who has done it before, 30 hrs for a first time install. Before you commit to a CGR-30, look at all the options. I put one in 3 years ago and wish I would have gone with something else. You do not have all information available on one screen, instead you have to push a button to cycle between 4 screens. My screen died suddenly on a trip and required it to be pulled and sent in for repair (about $600) after only 2 years, a problem I have heard regarding the CGR-30 from multiple users.

They did fix the issue on newer models. Curious what you have to look at on separate screens? I have flown several Super Cubs with the CGR30P and had everything I needed on one screen. Main things I use are oil temp/pressure, rpm, fuel flow and the cht/egts.

As I recall, fuel qty is on a separate page.

They did fix the issue on newer models. Curious what you have to look at on separate screens? I have flown several Super Cubs with the CGR30P and had everything I needed on one screen. Main things I use are oil temp/pressure, rpm, fuel flow and the cht/egts.

Back