Thanks Thanks:  0
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: EI CGR-30 Question

  1. #1
    mvivion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Bozeman,MT
    Posts
    10,312
    Post Thanks / Like

    EI CGR-30 Question

    Any of you installers have a ball park estimate of time to install a EI CGR-30P basic model?

    Thanks,

    MTV

  2. #2
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine have been all over the spectrum. If I catch an install during major maintenance, with lots of panels already opened up, maybe 5 or 6 days? If you catch one in something like a Cessna where you have to open it up yourself and modify the panel, then it's just a time and materiel project.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  3. #3
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lot's of variables just in the systems used on this system. I.e. fuel flow, MAP pressure, amp shunt, etc.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  4. #4
    hotrod180's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Port Townsend, WA
    Posts
    2,479
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wireweinie View Post
    …. If I catch an install during major maintenance, with lots of panels already opened up, maybe 5 or 6 days? ...
    To me, a "five day job" is 40 hours.
    Curious as to the shop rate charged by most avionics shops?
    FWIW I think our local mechanic shops charge 85 or 90 per hour.
    So 40 hrs @ 90 = $3600-- about the price of the unit itself.
    Last edited by hotrod180; 07-04-2018 at 11:46 AM.
    Cessna Skywagon-- accept no substitute!

  5. #5
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, 8 hour days. I charge $85 an hour but the guys in town charge around $100 an hour. The shops in your immediate area will probably be different.

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

  6. #6
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depends on the airplane and what is installed now. Took me a day to put an EDM350 in a Carbon Cub. Was pretty easy because I was replacing an E! OT/OP gaug so it was a matter of installing the the temp and pressure probes in the same place, opening the instrument hole from 2 1/4" to 3 1/8". Power supplied by the same circuit breaker. No fuel flow added.

    Have installed the CGR30P premium in a couple of Super Cubs both at rebuild and when doing other maintenance. Will look and see how long it took on a flying airplane.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Feb 2016
    Location
    Rochester, NY
    Posts
    93
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put one in my Taylorcraft F21. I replaced the airspeed ind in the panel. Not much room in there since the fuel tank if in the way. I estimated it took me at least 30 hrs. The local shop just signed it off. A lot of effort but worth it. The first unit went up in smoke, literally, but EI replaced it.

  8. #8
    js170b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Oregon, WI
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think 20 hrs is reasonable for someone who has done it before, 30 hrs for a first time install. Before you commit to a CGR-30, look at all the options. I put one in 3 years ago and wish I would have gone with something else. You do not have all information available on one screen, instead you have to push a button to cycle between 4 screens. My screen died suddenly on a trip and required it to be pulled and sent in for repair (about $600) after only 2 years, a problem I have heard regarding the CGR-30 from multiple users.

  9. #9
    Eddie Foy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mine also failed at about 10 months. Repaired under warranty. Hopefully, I will have better luck with the MVP-50.


    Quote Originally Posted by js170b View Post
    I think 20 hrs is reasonable for someone who has done it before, 30 hrs for a first time install. Before you commit to a CGR-30, look at all the options. I put one in 3 years ago and wish I would have gone with something else. You do not have all information available on one screen, instead you have to push a button to cycle between 4 screens. My screen died suddenly on a trip and required it to be pulled and sent in for repair (about $600) after only 2 years, a problem I have heard regarding the CGR-30 from multiple users.

  10. #10
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    They did fix the issue on newer models. Curious what you have to look at on separate screens? I have flown several Super Cubs with the CGR30P and had everything I needed on one screen. Main things I use are oil temp/pressure, rpm, fuel flow and the cht/egts.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers

  11. #11
    Eddie Foy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    As I recall, fuel qty is on a separate page.

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    They did fix the issue on newer models. Curious what you have to look at on separate screens? I have flown several Super Cubs with the CGR30P and had everything I needed on one screen. Main things I use are oil temp/pressure, rpm, fuel flow and the cht/egts.

  12. #12
    Steve Pierce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Graham, TX
    Posts
    18,357
    Post Thanks / Like
    Set the alarm and it tells you if you are low.
    Steve Pierce

    Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects.
    Will Rogers
    Likes WanaBNACub liked this post

  13. #13
    Eddie Foy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    3,307
    Post Thanks / Like
    The MVP-50 has a Bitching Betty!

    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Pierce View Post
    Set the alarm and it tells you if you are low.

  14. #14
    wireweinie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    Palmer, AK
    Posts
    2,326
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow! Ain't touching that one!

    Web
    Life's tough . . . wear a cup.

Similar Threads

  1. A Performance Question and a Flap Question
    By bob turner in forum Modifications
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-11-2015, 09:40 PM

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •