• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best helmet for backcountry

This link Tennessee embedded to Ebay is currently reported by Norton as a Fraudulent Link. Just FYI
Interesting - No problem when I clicked on it just now. The link is to eBay, which certainly is not a fraudulent organization. I got two helmets from them and they are great.

Maybe no one will come up with the perfect answer here but I had a small farm accident a few days ago which reminded me. You realize you had an accident when it's over.
So I'm getting a helmet and wearing it because I fly low and my airplane has these steel fuselage tubes close to my noggin.

A question that may have been already answered....

I use a Zulu 2 headset and it seems it tends to be incompatible with popular helmets. Suggestions please, that dont involve a new headset??

Its been said before, but once again.....The best helmet is one you'll wear.....regularly. I worked a job for a lot of years that required us to wear helmets for low level, which I did a lot. I tried a number of different helmets......SPH 4, SPH 5, HGU 55, etc, etc. Finally wound up with a Gallet helmet, and it was a winner.

If it's not PROPERLY fitted, you won't wear it, because it'll be uncomfortable....so get it fitted properly. Oregon Aero offers fit kits for helmets.....order one, no matter the helmet, it's worth the $$.

All these "helmets" you folks are talking about that are really Navy deck hard hats with comm may be fine in a fixed wing accident, but they are not going to provide the level of protection that a "real" helmet does. FWIW.

That said, I don't wear a helmet in my airplane nowadays. Part of the reason is because I'm no longer doing a lot of high risk stuff, and secondly because helmets are hot, and it's summer......again, if they're not comfortable, they'll wind up in the baggage compartment.

MTV

Looks like the old Air Force Single visor helmets from the front. I like it!

Alot cheaper than this one!!
[video]https://www.wired.com/2016/06/course-f-35-comes-400000-augmented-reality-helmet/[/video]

Gordon,

This one looks better than most of the "over the headset" helmets. I don't know much about it. Not cheap but they offer a money back guarantee if you aren't happy.

https://www.praetorflyinghelmets.com/

Here's what I have in my airplane. 5 of them. Everybody wears one. With Life vest and shoulder harness in the first 4 seats. Added a different adjustable strap. Light, wear a head set over it, inexpensive, easy to take care of. Probably at least doubles the protection of an unprotected skull. What do you think? IMG_1936.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_1936.JPG
    IMG_1936.JPG
    99.6 KB · Views: 540
I just finished reading the article in the link below.. I haven't actually hit the buy button on anything yet. I now seem to understand that part of how ballistic helmets work is the "give" in UHMW. Also, it seems you don't want your head to be rotated, (ya, I know.. thats the knockout punch) which would suggest a smooth outer surface. Both of those count against the 3M. On the other hand, lightness seems to be an over-riding common criteria. The head deceleration part goes back to suggesting the airbag harness along with a helmet. Part of the helmet consideration to me is to just prevent getting scalped or poked through my skull. I kind-of wish Gallet made a "high cut" version of their helmet. I know if you go in like a lawn dart the helmet is moot... I'm looking at risk management for engine failure. I've successfully spent a lot of years and hours doing low level survey (started before shoulder harness was normal) and now thinking it might be time to build in a bit more protection. I did take you folks' advice on the SIRS compass and moved my head-cutter out of my face and put a SIRS on the dash, which works well. Thank you for letting me learn about those compasses, and thank you for your discussion on helmets.. it helps.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK224915/

Also, I've long held it in my mind, but the formula listed in there for deceleration - .0333 (mph x mph) divided by distance = G is worth noting. Basically it means if you are going 50mph and can stop in 9 feet, you will produce about 9G's, which is the design limit for objects installed in the aircraft, and also what the airbag harness is set to deploy at. So you might not even set that off.. So that means don't be a lawn dart, dont hit the base of big trees, or big rocks, or glacier crevasses, and you'd be fine. Aim for the Alders.
My concern is with when all the soft stuff is not available. Maybe it's Gallet after all but it's hard to choose.

Well said, 46. But in addition, there are other body parts that don't like getting poked, blunt-forced, or otherwise smacked. Not arguing, just thinkin' publicly - - - -

I kind-of wish Gallet made a "high cut" version of their helmet.

Why 'high cut' ? weight?

FWIW a Gallet LH050 with HSI ANR comes in (weight wise) about the same as all the roll your own, bicycle helmet with a headset in it varieties. Any of the blue tooth ANR's will add more weight, because there's another speaker (in addition to the two that are already in there for ANR) and there is more wire. Want lighter than the HSI ANR? try passive and foamies.... heck in something like a J3, I'd forego the foamies and just run the passive comms. You'd end up lighter than a DC 'deck helmet' for a real deal, save your skull in a wreck, quality helmet....

I guess I just don't understand the placebo helmets? If it's worth wearing, it's probably worth wearing one that's actually going to work.

Also FWIW, I have one such helmet ( a passive LH050) I wear it on occasion when my normal helmet has had too many days in a row on it, or needs MX. I am always shocked by just how light that thing is compared to my normal zulu driven unit. The old adage 'ounces make pounds' takes on a whole new meaning when those ounces are attached to a skull pulling G's...

Take care, Rob

My one motorsports (with a motorcycle helmet) wreck while in a harness was in a Rzr. I hit a wall. The machine’s front end caved. My head accelerated into a tube. Helmet caved. My bell was rung but my head was fine. I did have a compression fracture at C5 so I must have hit hard. I don’t want to think what would have happened without a helmet. All this talk about the weight of a helmet in a sudden stop is presumptive. Show me some data that you’re better off in a plane wreck without a helmet than with. The helmet is there to protect your head from tubes above, in front, and beside your head. In some cases those tubes are in easy reach in common turbulence.

I’ll weigh my Gallet before and after the A-20 install. I don’t expect any change. Power and bluetooth are in the power box on the cord, not the helmet. But I may be wrong and I have nothing to hide.

Last edited:
Also, I've long held it in my mind, but the formula listed in there for deceleration - .0333 (mph x mph) divided by distance = G is worth noting. Basically it means if you are going 50mph and can stop in 9 feet, you will produce about 9G's, which is the design limit for objects installed in the aircraft, and also what the airbag harness is set to deploy at. So you might not even set that off.. So that means don't be a lawn dart, dont hit the base of big trees, or big rocks, or glacier crevasses, and you'd be fine. Aim for the Alders.
My concern is with when all the soft stuff is not available. Maybe it's Gallet after all but it's hard to choose.

Exactly. Deceleration forces are what kill and injure, so the most important part of an airplane crash is the last 50 milliseconds of it. If you fall off a low ladder from 5 feet and your head is the first thing to hit the concrete garage floor, people are going to be saying nice things about you in church 3 days later. If you fall from 5 feet and you break your wrist and forearm an instant before your head hits, you will have a pissed off wife, a nasty bruise on your forehead and an arm cast. In a plane crash, the seat belts connect your deceleration to the slower deformation of the vehicle's frame. As much as we love our planes, in a crash the slow destruction of the airframe is what saves us from internal injuries like a ruptured aorta or spinal damage. Head deceleration can be helped somewhat in some cases by a shoulder harness, but not reliably because the neck is so mobile and because the integrity of the cockpit can be lost, bringing things like rocks or compasses into contact with the head. Thus the absolute need for helmets.

My other airplane is a Cirrus - it is made of composite and it breaks instead of deforming. The seat belts are therefore dangerous to Cirrus pilots in the first few years' models, because the harnesses themselves were what transmitted a near instantaneous deceleration to the pilots' bodies. Air bags were later incorporated into the seat belts themselves and the problem was at least ameliorated, but not eliminated.

So- the take home messages - #1), wear a helmet. If everybody in the cub community did it, they would be cool. I actually like the "my helmet is better than your helmet" tone of this thread. To reiterate what 46 Cub said, lesson #2); if you have a chance to pick a crash site, pick one that will spread out the crash over those extra milliseconds. Look at your airframe as a survival tool that will be happily paid for by your insurance company.

Last edited:
Why 'high cut' ? weight?

FWIW a Gallet LH050 with HSI ANR comes in (weight wise) about the same as all the roll your own, bicycle helmet with a headset in it varieties. Any of the blue tooth ANR's will add more weight, because there's another speaker (in addition to the two that are already in there for ANR) and there is more wire. Want lighter than the HSI ANR? try passive and foamies.... heck in something like a J3, I'd forego the foamies and just run the passive comms. You'd end up lighter than a DC 'deck helmet' for a real deal, save your skull in a wreck, quality helmet....

I guess I just don't understand the placebo helmets? If it's worth wearing, it's probably worth wearing one that's actually going to work.

Also FWIW, I have one such helmet ( a passive LH050) I wear it on occasion when my normal helmet has had too many days in a row on it, or needs MX. I am always shocked by just how light that thing is compared to my normal zulu driven unit. The old adage 'ounces make pounds' takes on a whole new meaning when those ounces are attached to a skull pulling G's...

Take care, Rob

i totally agree. If you’re going to wear a helmet, I’d wear a helmet that was actually designed for this purpose and environment. The Gallet helmets aren’t cheap, but frankly, they’re a lot cheaper than many of the things we buy for our airplanes.

MTV

Any helmet discussed here is better than none. Some are clearly better than others, too, but coming from a guy who doesn't wear one? Criticism is cheap talk.

Really. I struggled with upgrading my Gallet vs buying a Team Wendy with Zulu comm. There are lots of choices to fit different priorities. I want to hear about them all.

Well I'm bummed. Didn't mean to criticize anyone or anything.
I'm just looking for a helmet that I will wear, and that works.
Maybe there is only one that will work. I'm not looking for a placebo. A friend here has a Gallet and I'll take a closer look.
I have a J3 but my survey work is done in my Birddog. I've used Bose ANR since they made the first model and haven't had a reason to change. Most of survey work I do is telemetry and I need ANR to do that effectively. In fact I only started seriously looking for a helmet when I started seeing factory installed Bose ANR, including Gallet. I've had a Gentex for 25 years but only so I can pass my OAS special use checkrides. I still won't wear a helmet for my air-taxi because too many passengers would wonder why they don't have one.
My thinking "high cut" was both for more air, and the idea it would be easier to reach up and move the earcups a bit. Even plain A20s get uncomfortable after 10hrs. I twist my head around a lot and look out the skylights at points in the trees and it appeared the larger expanse of the Gallet might interfere with that. But I gather Rob is a duster and I would imagine he twists his head around in hot conditions as much or more than anyone. And I know MTV has done a bunch of telemetry. I don't hear anything but Gallet from either and I'm listening. It's just that I also think 3M is a good company and if something new is offered which ostensibly is good enough for army type people to ride around in and jump out of helicopters it might be worth looking into.
Thanks for your help
Jose

Stewart,

My comment was intended to suggest that people should consider that helmets are life saving devices, and as such, they should be designed specifically for the sort of trauma that might be encountered in an aircraft accident. The sort of trauma involved in an airplane accident can be pretty devastating, and quite different than other activities. Hence, my recommendation to wear an aviation helmet IF you’re going to wear a helmet in an airplane.

While I choose not to wear a helmet while flying these days, I’ve worn helmets in airplanes many thousands of hours in past. I have never felt that “normal” flight activities are sufficiently risky to warrant wearing a helmet, and even when I was working, I didn’t wear a helmet for low risk flying.

Secondly, as someone else noted, wearing a helmet, but not offering one to passengers sends a message that I prefer not to convey. And fitting a variety of heads with quality helmets (or any helmets) gets expensive. But, if I were to go back to working airplanes at low level a lot, I’d have my noggin back in a Gallet.

As to 46 Cubs point about telemetry, I found that the Gallet helmet with ANR worked better than most headsets for radio telemetry. The other thing I found is that, while helmets take a little getting used to, once you’ve worn them for a while I found that the helmet was actually a lot more comfortable on very long working flights, mostly because the clamping pressure is less, and both weight and clamping pressure are distributed more a good Aviation helmet. Another factor against the “deck type” lids is that you still have a lot of clamping pressure with them.

But, if folks prefer to wear a deck helmet or a bike hemet, or no helmet at all, that is indeed their personal choice, and that’s just fine with me.

MTV

Thanks MTV! I thought he meant me.. As a published writer, I know you can take the heat!
Thanks for the comments regarding comfort on long days - that's good input. I'm not afraid of the money I just want to get one I stand the best chance of actually using.

I've worn my Gallet for a little over 10 years. In that time it hasn't saved my life any more than a batting helmet would have. It has served two valuable purposes. I love love love the drop down sun visor. That alone is worth the trouble of wearing it. It has also protected my head from bumping tubes in turbulence and even when just stretching to see over the nose. That, too, has been valuable. Could less sophisticated and less expensive helmets have done the same? Yes, they could have. I have a collection of helmets from discussions like this. My DC K-10 will likely find a home in the back seat of the Wildcat, because I have it and it may as well get used. My ProTec? Not in my planes. I am interested in the cutaway helmets like Team Wendy's exfil SAR. It looks like it would be cooler in warm weather. I'm curious about the Peltor, too. I'm always looking for something better.

The Wildcat has an oh **** handle on the center of the front spar carry through. It may go away but it's kind of handy for entry. No way will I fly this Cub without a helmet with that handle there. Not even for "low risk" flying.

I hope nobody ever suffers an avoidable head injury. I'll leave you with that.

Last edited:
Like MTV my employer (not the same one) required head protection for a few years during survey work. I used the David Clark/Navy deck crew unit as that's what was offered by purchasing. Turbulence in a C-185 would bang my head against the left upper door frame while looking out the bubble window so I guess it helped some. The rest of the time they were hot and prone to collecting a sweat, dirt, and bug repellant sheen. Eventually the stitching would dissolve and a new liner was required.

The downside of that design was poor clamping and hearing protection but that was pre-ANR days. The left ear was prone to window noise it seemed.

Finally my supervisor showed up wearing one that cost about a week of my wages back then and I threw mine away and retired.

Gary

I promise I'll quit shaking this tree, but I looked at this again and realized Stewart might actually be defending the question of alternatives. Thank you. I didn't mean to stir up any controversy and appreciate every idea I've seen written here. I also appreciate all who have gone out on a limb to express their ideas. You folks have a great thing going here and I don't want to barge in and upset anyone. Thank you to every one of you who responded to my questions.
Jose

Hi SB,

I really like reading your posts, because as a general rule, it occurs to me if your writing something it's because either you've experienced it, or have researched the facts / numbers....

In light of that spirit I'll add some info / pics for anyone who might find them useful;

20180729_084029.jpg

According to stamps.com an LH0250 Gallet with HSI ANR comes in at 2pounds 8 ounces +/-

And the same make helmet with Lightspeeds bluetooth helmet zulu kit ; :-? 5 ounces more

20180729_083925.jpg

Both of these are set up with bail out plugs at the nape, so no 'battery / comm' boxes that don't rest on your head to add confusion to the mix. And although my passive helmet is at the shop, I know from past excursions down this road it is a full 8 ounces less than the HSI.

You are correct in that the receiver for the bluetooth resides in the 'box' but BT still adds an additional speaker (I don't know why they can't plumb that sound through the comm speakers?) and wiring throughout. Does the extra few ounces bother me? Not in the least... But I imagine there is a limit to how far I'd go with that thought. Is it worth consideration for others?... hell I don't know why anyone would listen to anything I was babbling about :oops:

As a side note, I would urge anyone contemplating a helmet to practice two rules I adhere to when flying in a helmet;

1) use a bail out plug. If you think the cord is not going to keep you in the plane in an emergency when you forget to unplug... you are mostly right... it's just going to cost you a neck injury on the way out... and...
2) Never put your helmet on until you'r fired up and the engine is happy. The first time you experience an engine fire or similar, you will get a chance to evaluate wether or not rule #1 made sense....

Take care. Rob

Attachments

• 20180729_084029.jpg
    20180729_084029.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 286
  • 20180729_083925.jpg
    20180729_083925.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 279
Good info, Rob. Thanks. You have more expeience with Gallet ANR than anyone I know and your guidance is appreciated.

ANR has become my #1 helmet priority. It’ll be interesting to do the Bose upgrade. If it adds a few ounces I’m okay with that. My ears can’t continue with what I have now. Given that I have my Gallet the upgrade to Bose makes some sense, although I’ve never seen the components installed so I’m making a leap of faith. Tiger has warned me that I may not like the mic boom, but I can change that back to the Gallet wire boom with another $150 microphone. I’m less concerned about that than the earcup fit and performance. If I’m not satisfied with it I’ll likely switch to a cutaway helmet and Lightspeed’s cutaway helmet kit. Zulu ANR has set the bar. I don’t want to settle for less.

Last edited:
Here's the Yueny helmet - $300 with ANR.

IMG_3583.JPG
IMG_3585.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3583.JPG
    IMG_3583.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_3585.JPG
    IMG_3585.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 317
View attachment 38269View attachment 38269

Here's some interesting data on the tolerance of head impacts. References aircraft structures but could be reversed based on helmet materials.

Just about every helmet impact standard has been, in part, developed around the data found in the Wayne State Tolerance Curve mentioned in the article in your post.

Voigt Hodgson of Wayne State was a well known aeronautical engineer turned biomechanical engineer who did what you suggest by developing one of the first commercial devices to test helmets impact attenuation efficiency. Dr. Hodgson's device uses a humanoid headform and biaxial accelerometers to calculate and record the severity index of an impact. Very cool stuff in the early 1970's.
Voight Hodgson was a cool guy who fundamentally changed the way we think about testing helmets.
Others have since built on Dr. Hodgson's work by developing simpler helmet impact test devices that give more consistent lab results.

For small GA type crashes a helmet builder needs to understand the type of impact and severity of the impact that is most common in a crash. You don't want to be wearing flip flops in the artic or Bunny boots at Waikiki

Last edited:
Follow up. The Bose kit is installed. My LH-050 went from 2.2# to 2.4#. Installation was simple. I’ve read internet comments about the A-20 ear cups being smaller. That’s true. Where my old ANR cups fit over my ears, the Bose fit on my ears. The new cups require less clamping pressure to seal well and there’s no interference from my glasses. Win win. My helmet sits a tiny bit further forward now and that’s a good thing. My drop-down visor clears my glasses better. The microphone boom is a little longer than it needs to be but it bends into position easily enough. The power box is in the primary cord so I have one less cable than before, so one less cable to manage in the pilot seat. ANR is improved. So far I’m happy.

Last edited:
Back