• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best helmet for backcountry

I'll be interested to see how you like them compared to Zulu headsets. I love the Zulu helmet kit, but in light of the current inability to buy a kit and DIY, I will likely be looking to an alternative for the next one. HSI was good for a long time, but they kind of let things go stagnant in aging technology, and Lightspeed, who really leads the way in the current ANR/Bluetooth stuff seems to have turned the helmet stuff over to the resellers. Most of which have proven unreliable in delivery scheduling (a deal breaker for a guy who needs it when he needs it)

Take care, Rob

Rob,

After a couple of hours I like the upgrade a lot. Equal to my Zulu 2s? I can't say since I've never used Zulus in a Cub. I flew both airplanes yesterday (Zulus in the Cessna) and can't say either system is better than the other for ANR or clarity of voice comm. Both are far and away better than my old Gallet ANR. I'll spend a few minutes fitting the Bose ear cups. I need to build up velcro cones to capture the rounded Bose ear cups at the correct tilt and add a smidge more clamp pressure. The on the ear vs over the ear seals are very comfortable. The difference between on the ear and over the ear may be the detail that determines why guys prefer one or the other. In a helmet it's worth consideration. Over the ear ear cups determine where the shell sits on your head. I never really thought about that until now, and with the Bose my helmet sits better.

SB

Last edited:
For Rob, and anyone else who’s curious. I grabbed a scrap of soft foam from Fine Line and cut some rings to fill the gap around the Bose earcups in the Gallet. The effort was worthwhile. Better fit and better performance.

IMG_4799.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_4799.JPG
    IMG_4799.JPG
    135.9 KB · Views: 326
I tuck the backside of my ears into the Bose. I found it uncomfortable to place them over my ears. Maybe because I wear glasses. Thats part of the reason I like the idea of adjustable (high cut helmet) earcups. That and it looks like I could "lift" one away during warmup - like a chainsaw helmet. Don't know why that matters to me but it does. It happens the 3M/Peltor Ultralightweight (their name) helmets are not available until about December.... according to Tiger they are obligated to sell only to the military until the order is complete, and the military is buying all they can build right now. I plan to buy one when they are available. For specs.. it looks like the DOT spec for their (like the approved Gallet, etc) helmet mostly says hard outer shell and styrofoam inside of that. The rest relates to nape rolls, etc.. Very much like a motorcycle helmet after all.. In fact the DOT spec refers to ANZI spec whatever...
For the 3M helmets, they address head deceleration and sharp object penetration. I didn't parse it out absolutely, but did read enough to figure that just because the DOT says it's ok for their survey pilots it doesn't necessarily mean that another helmet does not offer protection. It just means it doesn't have their exact nape roll, etc.. The only thing I don't like about the 3M helmet is the strap assy looks uncomfortable. One could argue much more secure but I don't relish the idea of spending Ks of hours with a strap on my chin.

I whimped out on finding value for money and bought a galette �� I thought that it would be the first and last helmet I would ever buy. Very quiet (Zulu). I think it has a very low profile compared to the others. (I sit high and bang my noggin a bit on the tubes) and it can't be all that bad considering the price $����������������������������������������But the plug on the helmet is not a quick release. I can see that to be a problem if shite hits the fan. Where do I get one of those ?

Years ago Merit Apparel sent me a short cord with a built-in volume control. With the Bose control box I no longer need the volume control but I still use it because it releases the headset plugs in any direction I pull, should I be in a hurry and forget to unplug at the jacks. Maybe not the perfect solution but it works for me.

IMG_4595.JPG

https://m.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/stpages/pilotUSA43.php

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_4595.JPG
    IMG_4595.JPG
    211.6 KB · Views: 327
Last edited:
I whimped out on finding value for money and bought a galette 😮 I thought that it would be the first and last helmet I would ever buy. Very quiet (Zulu). I think it has a very low profile compared to the others. (I sit high and bang my noggin a bit on the tubes) and it can't be all that bad considering the price $😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮😮But the plug on the helmet is not a quick release. I can see that to be a problem if shite hits the fan. Where do I get one of those ?

A 'Bail out plug' is a real consideration. If you wreck bad enough to need a helmet, there is a good chance your going to want to vacate in a hurry. Ask anyone who has flipped one over (not usually a super big deal) and they have almost always unlatched the seat belt before they figured out how to not fall on their heads (I did) and then they most likely ran right across the bottom of their soft piper ribs (have done that too).

My point is, if you think something like fire is a possibility , you're going to come out of that plane like a shot, and as tiny as the comm cord appears, it is still going to wrench your neck. Headsets will get yanked off, a proper helmet won't.

If you are getting a new helmet built up the added cost of a bailout plug is minimal.

Stewarts solution is sweet and simple, and best part is that it stays with the plane through whatever helmet or headset you care to wear that day. I like comm set ups that allow me the freedom to plug what ever I want into them.

Take care, Rob

I remember getting out of a OH-58A on the run and almost going over backwards when the cord came tight,lol just like the cartoon dog hitting the end of the chain.

I have been reading this thread with great interest as well as several others related to helmets.

I have made one from a Kayaker helmet and it was a lot of work. Plus I have worn and owned a couple others. I jump in all sorts of planes doing BFRs and sometimes certain aircraft will not let me fit my head inside while wearing a helmet. Two that come to mind are Kit Foxs and the RANS S7 back-seat. In both cases my head and regular headset touch the ceiling or tubing. Which stinks because those are the planes in which I tend to whack my noggin around. But if I wear my thick padded helmet I have to fly around with my head sideways.

The disconnect jacks near the helmet are a super-good idea. I had those in my military time. Back around 15-16 years ago I was thrown through the door of a C-170B during a crash and my neck has never been the same after my headset cord yanked the crap out of my head.
On floats it would be nice for jumping out while docking...

I would wear a helmet more often if I did not have clients inside the plane who all want a custom fitted helmet in their size as well. I cannot afford 9 more helmets ( 3 in small medium and large each)_

Even now I often get 3 people bitching about my float vest being full of survival gear while all they get are the suspender type float vests. ( fly-fishing folks who have rods and reels that cost more than my first car. )

When you have nervous complainers, wait until you are over an icefield and then ask one of them to hand you the only helmet in the plane and start strapping it to your head without answering any questions.

508F7A42-9C01-4D96-8669-A8036D4F5495.jpeg

Similar setup to Stewart’s.

Attachments

• 508F7A42-9C01-4D96-8669-A8036D4F5495.jpeg
    508F7A42-9C01-4D96-8669-A8036D4F5495.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 295
I’m in the market.
Anyone with PIREP’s?

Johnny R.

I’m the owner of SkyCowboy Supply company helmet. Happy to answer any questions. As far as PIREPs, I haven’t had any negative feedback. But probably makes sense to have some testimonials on the site.

Chad Russel, Bob Breeden, Mike Sasser, and Legend Cub are all using them. They are pretty lightweight and seriously comfortable. They have a nice “Boa” system that really snug it to your head.

The best part is that it’s an impact rated helmet. Not a bump helmet.

Working on a visor option now and trying to develop an adaptor for the light speeds.

IMG_0526.JPGIMG_0355.JPGIMG_0291.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0526.JPG
    IMG_0526.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 3,200
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    139.1 KB · Views: 1,026
  • IMG_0291.JPG
    IMG_0291.JPG
    88.8 KB · Views: 447
Johnny R.

I’m the owner of SkyCowboy Supply company helmet. Happy to answer any questions. As far as PIREPs, I haven’t had any negative feedback. But probably makes sense to have some testimonials on the site.

Chad Russel, Bob Breeden, Mike Sasser, and Legend Cub are all using them. They are pretty lightweight and seriously comfortable. They have a nice “Boa” system that really snug it to your head.

The best part is that it’s an impact rated helmet. Not a bump helmet.

Working on a visor option now and trying to develop an adaptor for the light speeds.

View attachment 42745View attachment 42746View attachment 42747

Also. The point is for all of this to be DIY! So you can adapt your existing-headset.

https://www.skycowboysupplyco.com/product-page/scsc-pilot-helmet-package-without-headset

John, we’re pilots. You need to lead with the photos of Scout modeling the helmet. Really. [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I've been very happy with my HGU-55's from Government Sales in Hartford CT. They'll make you a nice Kevlar helmet with good padding, visor, and avionics for a very decent price. I have two of them and no complaints. I bought Oregon Aero pads for my first one, but when I finally had them refurbish the helmet after a lot of abuse, I agreed to use their padding and it's very good. Any helmet is better than none. The week I put a "no helmet, no fly" rule into effect at my banner business, a pilot buried a Call-Air about 30 feet into the mud in the swamp. Broke his DC helmet but got away with a concussion. Saved his life. I'm not a huge fan of noise cancelling because of the high hiss sound that results. I know there are threads on this but I still wonder if it really saves your hearing or makes you think you're hearing less. I do use a travel Bose set on the airlines which is also useful for watching movies.

The Team Wendy helmet is a bump helmet.

The marketing material from Team Wendy claims to meets the ACH blunt impact standard. The ACH standard is 10 FPS drop with a 150 G pass / fail. As compared to a football helmet at 18 FPS drop.

In no way am I disparaging the Team Wendy helmet. I am pointing out that it is not a crash helmet and not designed for use in aircraft.

I spent some time with Wendy’s dad and siblings after her death from a a head impact while white water rafting. They founded the company with a passion to build better headgear. I have no reason to believe they have lost that passion.

Just don’t confuse snowshoes for skis when you are going skiing.

Is your lap belt low and snug? Your shoulder harness on? Head in the game before your fly?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Last edited:
I've been very happy with my HGU-55's from Government Sales in Hartford CT. They'll make you a nice Kevlar helmet with good padding, visor, and avionics for a very decent price. I have two of them and no complaints. I bought Oregon Aero pads for my first one, but when I finally had them refurbish the helmet after a lot of abuse, I agreed to use their padding and it's very good. Any helmet is better than none. The week I put a "no helmet, no fly" rule into effect at my banner business, a pilot buried a Call-Air about 30 feet into the mud in the swamp. Broke his DC helmet but got away with a concussion. Saved his life. I'm not a huge fan of noise cancelling because of the high hiss sound that results. I know there are threads on this but I still wonder if it really saves your hearing or makes you think you're hearing less. I do use a travel Bose set on the airlines which is also useful for watching movies.

All the other guys used to laugh at me wearing a helmet banner towing. I saw too many accidents in the years I did that to not wear a helmet while banner towing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The “ one” you actually use regularly. The “one” you do not have to save up for a year to actually buy. Many skate board helmets are impact rated, comfortable, need little modification, and about $50. Mine was free.

I tried the Team Wendy helment at Sun & Fun and found it very comfortable with an adjusting knob on the back to make it fit perfectly. I have a tactical helmet that is set up for coms but do not wear it because it is not comfortable. This one is. I know Mike Sasser (Cub Crafters dealer for this area) loves his and he spent 400 plus hours in his Carbon Cub last year.

Back