• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Best helmet for backcountry

I fly both, J4 is non inertia and yellow cub is inertia. I added shoulder harness to my first plane a Pa15 25 years ago and everyone since. Added first inertia reel to my Pa11 20 years ago. The J4 would have an inertia reel also if it had the headroom for one. I try to keep the J4 harness tight for takeoff and landing but it doesn't happen as much as it should. I move around too much while flying so I like the top half loose, and then forget to tighten it for landing. If it's not comfortable tight while flying it's not going to be tight when you need it. I've crashed in both belts, Stearman had standard shoulder straps and 11 had an inertia, walked away from both without a scratch. Automobile inertia belts save more lives because more people will wear them all the time.

Glenn

I like the egress quick release. The rest is marketing speak.
“Military Grade” what’s that?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Not related to this backcountry helmet discussion, but this is what I get the pleasure to wear everyday at work... about $18K when the white phosphorus ANVS-9's are attached....

4TMSHtN.png

Not related to this backcountry helmet discussion, but this is what I get the pleasure to wear everyday at work... about $18K when the white phosphorus ANVS-9's are attached....

Which model is that? ANR? I need to buy one for the power line contract I’m flying. I’ve been following this thread hoping to get some info on a good ANR helo helmet. Thanks.

Which model is that? ANR? I need to buy one for the power line contract I’m flying. I’ve been following this thread hoping to get some info on a good ANR helo helmet. Thanks.

Gentex HGU-56. No ANR, I use custom molded CEP's (Communication Ear Plugs) to help prevent hearing damage. Not a huge fan of ANR in helicopters, but that is just me personally... love ANR in fixed wing...

Thanks, appreciate the info. Flew a friends ANR the other day in the helo and liked it. Trying to save what little high freq hearing I have left. Thanks again.

Thanks Stewart, yes a full coverage helmet for protection and the ANR for clarity of hearing and fatigue management is what I’m after. Have used both separately and I’m hoping the combination is the best solution for me. Thanks for the input.

Another possibility would be any good football helmet and a Clarity Aloft earbud set. Top of the line protection and top of the line audio. It’s not how I am going, but it was a strong thought.

ANR only cancels low frequencies. A full coverage helmet is the best thing I know for blocking highs.

ANR cancels the full spectrum. We just notice the difference in low more.

As to impact protection, I suspect that the new air bag belts might be a better investment in a Cub.

Best of all, don’t hit anything you don’t intend to. As Bill Brine pointed out, a poorly designed helmet or one designed for a different impact scenario might actually be worse not better than a headset.

In my experience, helmets CAN BE more comfortable on very long flights than headsets IF they’re REALLY well fitted. But most folks aren’t sitting in a Cub for seven hours in a day, most days. I have, wearing a good aviation helmet.

i never crashed wearing a helmet, so can’t attest to use in a crash, but the one incident I was in, I was very glad I was not wearing a helmet, there was a lot of forces going on, with body parts being flailed. Great shoulder belts saved the day there. A helmet would have added mass to my head, and my wife says that’s dense enough without the helmet. But that wasn’t a Cub.

Which is one of the issues—there are literally thousands of variables in these kinds of events. Trying to predict those is tough.

If you have the discipline to actually WEAR a good helmet in hot summer weather, a GOOD helmet MAY help protect your noodle in an ugly event. I’ve worn em because I was required to, but I’ve seen a lot of them riding around in baggage compartments too.

MTV

There's lots of info about ANR on the internet. Here's one of the easier to read articles. The scientific papers say the same thing but are very dry reading.

"Mostly, ANR attenuates frequencies in the lower spectrum, from about 20 Hz to around 300 Hz, with peak reduction at 70-150 Hz. Studies have shown that peak noise levels generated by the propeller, engine and exhaust all combine around the 100 Hz point—precisely the area that ANR attenuates best. Higher-frequency noise is caused mostly by air flowing over the cockpit and fuselage. Most ANR headsets don’t attenuate high frequencies. Because each airplane’s noise signature is different, a headset that’s right for one aircraft owner isn’t necessarily right for another."

https://www.planeandpilotmag.com/article/hearing-loss-could-it-happen-to-you/#.XNg9ixaIaaM

Here’s a marketing-based article that offers some interesting insight. http://www.threat4.com/download/comparing_headset_technologies_in-ear_muff_ANR.pdf

Last edited:
Since a helmet is something people wear, 'best' can seem very subjective. After all, no two heads are shaped alike, and no two people seem to have the same tolerance for weight, heat, cost, ad nauseam...

Having said all that, it would be very easy to substantiate MSA Gallet flight helmets as the absolute best flight helmet you can buy, for cub like and fling wing aircraft. But again, whether you can justify the cost, or whether they feel the most comfortable to you, is a choice you will have to make.

I am in a fortunate enough place to go through an average of one a year, and routinely try to find a better one. While I have varied the comms installed, I routinely end up with another Gallet.

A good 'bang for the buck' alternative IMHO are the Peltor helmets. Cost wise, they are on par with the 'pop your headset in the bicycle style hat' that seem to be so popular now days, but unlike those, they are a real helmet.

Take care, Rob

And one last thought... while I burn through well over 1000 hrs a year in a flight helmet, none of it is in my cub or 180... YMMV

Many thanks for your post. Have a nice day !
Cheer!

Has anyone used Praetor helmets? Any PIREPS?

In fact, I purchased one about 6 months ago. The fit is perfect and so far I really like it. The only thing that I didn’t like was the quick attach on the chin strap, got one off Amazon fairly cheap and easy to swap out.

So far, using it every flight in my S7
Mike

Last edited:
For anyone who was interested, I was able to finish the design for LightSpeeds 2/3. The process to disassemble the LightSpeeds is a little more involved than the David Clark’s or Bose. But it’s manageable. There is a write up on the webpage. SkyCowboySupplyCo.com

IMG_0750.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_0750.JPG
    IMG_0750.JPG
    308.9 KB · Views: 421
I’m all in.
1E4608EF-7888-47C5-B000-98E8A6C7A827.jpeg

4600F3E7-5475-426E-92E0-1E17739AE6D9.jpeg

This deal is really comfortable and I believe will provide a great deal of protection.

Took about 20 minutes to cautiously dissect a set of Zulu 3’s (this was a trade up set, sent in 2’s for service with a couple hundred bucks and you get them back upgraded to 3’s). Not sure how Lightspeed service will be in the future but I saved all the parts just in case. Then, I did a test fit and I immediately realized I needed to make the helmet smaller which is really easy with the included extra set of thick pads included.

As for flying, this is now my standard headgear for bopping around. Far superior to my old DC-10 even with a DC noise cancelling headset, as that combination will break the ear seals when you turn your head or squirm around which the new one never did even with the door open on the cub.

As as you can see I opted for the visor which I’m not yet sold on. In my opinion the tint needs to be darker unless you’re wearing sun glasses and so far there is too far much distortion thru the visor for comfort especially with Rx eye glasses on which is the same comment I got from a guy at work who was wearing a very similar helmet/visor as a hard hat. For me, unless the distortion goes away or a better lenses is out there it will likely come off. What I’d like to see is a simple shade visor like I have on my DC-10 but I’m not sure what is available for the mounts and don’t let my visor comments put you off on buying one.

Cant say enough good about SkyCowboy Supply, many thanks for prompt express shipping!

Kirby

Attachments

• 1E4608EF-7888-47C5-B000-98E8A6C7A827.jpeg
    1E4608EF-7888-47C5-B000-98E8A6C7A827.jpeg
    242.1 KB · Views: 662
  • 4600F3E7-5475-426E-92E0-1E17739AE6D9.jpeg
    4600F3E7-5475-426E-92E0-1E17739AE6D9.jpeg
    221.2 KB · Views: 874
Last edited:
Upgraded my old commtronics brain bucket to GSI, thanks to a thankful gift. Only to find it being utilized by a skateboarding ninja pilot who really really hates the Texas Longhorns and lingers in my hanger making airplane sounds from the cockpit while I’m trying to work.

. IMG_0710.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0710.JPG
    IMG_0710.JPG
    116.8 KB · Views: 412
Denali cub -
Looks like a cool product you made. I have a DC helmet I never wear and a halfway finished HGU 55 Bose conversion. One thing I need is a helmet I can wear, and wear now. So I ordered your kit and I’m looking forward to it.

I’m skeptical about how much I’ll wear it (I know... need to work on that) so I will use my old Bose X. If I decided to use it on my Bose A20s or Lightspeeds, can I change them out by ordering some parts from you?

Thanks!

I grabbed a SkyCowboy helmet....so far no complaints. Quick and easy to get my A20’s set up and it’s a pretty clean setup.
Barneys up in Anchorage looks like they’re going to stock them.

Denali cub -
Looks like a cool product you made. I have a DC helmet I never wear and a halfway finished HGU 55 Bose conversion. One thing I need is a helmet I can wear, and wear now. So I ordered your kit and I’m looking forward to it.

I’m skeptical about how much I’ll wear it (I know... need to work on that) so I will use my old Bose X. If I decided to use it on my Bose A20s or Lightspeeds, can I change them out by ordering some parts from you?

Thanks!

Yes, No problem. The adaptors will all work with the same base helmet!

Kirby,

Thanks for your review. Glad to hear that you are enjoying the helmet. I don't disagree about the visor definitely not as dark as the ones you would find on a true flight helmet. Thats the best I was able to come up with, but trying to get Team Wendy to develop one specific to this use case!

I’m all in.
View attachment 43382

View attachment 43383

This deal is really comfortable and I believe will provide a great deal of protection.

Took about 20 minutes to cautiously dissect a set of Zulu 3’s (this was a trade up set, sent in 2’s for service with a couple hundred bucks and you get them back upgraded to 3’s). Not sure how Lightspeed service will be in the future but I saved all the parts just in case. Then, I did a test fit and I immediately realized I needed to make the helmet smaller which is really easy with the included extra set of thick pads included.

As for flying, this is now my standard headgear for bopping around. Far superior to my old DC-10 even with a DC noise cancelling headset, as that combination will break the ear seals when you turn your head or squirm around which the new one never did even with the door open on the cub.

As as you can see I opted for the visor which I’m not yet sold on. In my opinion the tint needs to be darker unless you’re wearing sun glasses and so far there is too far much distortion thru the visor for comfort especially with Rx eye glasses on which is the same comment I got from a guy at work who was wearing a very similar helmet/visor as a hard hat. For me, unless the distortion goes away or a better lenses is out there it will likely come off. What I’d like to see is a simple shade visor like I have on my DC-10 but I’m not sure what is available for the mounts and don’t let my visor comments put you off on buying one.

Cant say enough good about SkyCowboy Supply, many thanks for prompt express shipping!

Kirby

I don't disagree about the visor definitely not as dark as the ones you would find on a true flight helmet. Thats the best I was able to come up with, but trying to get Team Wendy to develop one specific to this use case!
Why don't you just get a piece of dark plexi, make a mold to the desired shape and heat it in the oven? When bending in three dimensions as shown in the picture, it is difficult to avoid distortions. Try a straight curve.
Alternatively you could just use a straight length of dark plexi and clamp it to the V behind the windshield. This cuts down on the brilliance of the bright sun and doesn't interfere with your visibility.

I’m all in.
View attachment 43382

View attachment 43383

Kirby

Thanks for the pirep. I especially appreciate the comparison to the DC helmet, which establishes a baseline that many of us are familiar with.

Do you think the headset upgrade was worth it? Are 3s that much better than a healthy set of 2s?

I go back and forth between Z2’s and 3’s and yes the 3’s do sound better but unless there is a reason I wouldn’t do the upgrade just for grins unless they were running a good special. The set I sent in had a bad battery connection (FYI this was the set I won from LightSpeed several years ago) and I think most of the update is that new controller box plus they put on all new pads.

Also I flew it just a bit ago, 89 degrees and 99% humidity and it was ok comfortable.

Last edited:
The only maintenance my Z2s have ever needed is when the volume sliders get dirty and adjusting them makes the sound cut out, spray the sliders with ether or contact cleaner. Like new in a few seconds.

I’ll order a couple of helmets soon. What’s the story about Barney’s stocking them? Denali Cub?

Back