• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Plug in LEDs

Skycrawler

N. IDAHO
Hey all
Looking to replace my Nav. light bulbs with LEDs .
Just want a simple bulb replacement, not certified , fine with me.
Suggestions type or brand ?
Problems ?
General info ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I tried a non certified set, will need to update with the brand later. They plugged in perfectly and are reasonably bright for the price paid.

Two downsides however. They make noise in the headsets which I was told could be cured with short lengths of wire shroud. Secondly, the new clear lenses that came with them are made too thick. The lenses don't fit under the trailing cover plate. So I simply went back on with the original colored lenses which don't provide enough room for the LED itself and actually press against it and slightly push the bulb into the socket.

I don't have an air to air report yet.

Good info . Thanks
Maybe better to spend the$ and get the cert. version?

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I tried a non certified set, will need to update with the brand later. They plugged in perfectly and are reasonably bright for the price paid.

Two downsides however. They make noise in the headsets which I was told could be cured with short lengths of wire shroud. Secondly, the new clear lenses that came with them are made too thick. The lenses don't fit under the trailing cover plate. So I simply went back on with the original colored lenses which don't provide enough room for the LED itself and actually press against it and slightly push the bulb into the socket.

I don't have an air to air report yet.

AeroLeds?

Sent from SuperCub.Org mobile app

Not Aero. See picture. I am not complaining mind you, just thought it a bit strange. Also it's been over 6 years since I purchased them, things may be better now.P_20180624_135334.jpg

Attachments

• P_20180624_135334.jpg
    P_20180624_135334.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 182
For uncertified nav bulbs, just check out the automotive equivalent. The flash/nav lights seem to be about as easy to control as these new LED flashlights - you get to cycle through modes. I like to have one switch for nav, and another for strobes.

I installed these on my wing tips:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11369.php
and this on the tail:
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11371.php

I have seen no TSO on bulbs. I do not use the strobe feature because it does not meet the requirement of a nav light when you do. They draw way less power which was great when I had a generator and just an added bonus now.

These are probably better since they are 5 watts rather than 4 but were not out there or I did not see them when I got mine. I just noticed these are the ones Web recommended.

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11374.php

https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/elpages/navstrobe11372.php

Whelen Orion nav/strobes on the tips, Whelen beacon on the rudder top, and an Aveo PosiStrobe on the rudder trailing edge. I can turn them all on with zero noise. The point of recognition lights is to be seen. Light it up!

The only drawback with Whelen is the tail strobes have a big can that requires a big, deep hole to install it. Modification to the strobe attach plate is required. Aveo has a flush base. Aveo wins on that feature.

AeroLED has a page for replacement bulbs on their website. https://aeroleds.com/bulb-replacement/

Hey all Looking to replace my Nav. light bulbs with LEDs . Just want a simple bulb replacement, not certified , fine with me. ….

Curious as to the goal--
brighter output, reduced power draw, or ?
How much juice does a regular nav light pull anyway?

I know people who like to fly with the nav lights on all the time, even in daytime.
FWIW I have never spotted another airplane in daylight by spotting the nav lights or the strobe.
I have however often spotted another airplane due by their landing light, usually in flashing or wig-wag mode.

My goal was to have less current draw coming in at dusk with a generator. They don't charge at low rpm and tend to drain the battery. I also had an issue with a circuit breaker popping on my nav light circuit after a while. Cleaning connections, new bulbs and continuity check revealed no abnormality but since installing the LED nav light bulbs it has not been an issue. Some Super Cubs have a 7.5 amp circuit breaker and some 5 amps. The LEDs draw less than an amp.

I've had the same LED lights make noise in one plane, but not another. Grounding could be the answer.

I have a new integrated set of Whelen strobes/navs. It mounts flush and is super bright. With the new led units there are no more cans when you mount them and no more power packs. It’s a pretty slick set up, but it ain’t cheap....but what is?

Back