• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

T3 field approvals?

There are a lot of FSDOs that aren’t doing Field Approvals, but they should refer you to either a DAR that can do field approvals, or a DER that can approve the data on an 8110-3. I don’t see any reason why it can’t be approved so long as you can show compliance to the applicable regulations.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

There are a lot of FSDOs that aren’t doing Field Approvals, but they should refer you to either a DAR that can do field approvals, or a DER that can approve the data on an 8110-3. I don’t see any reason why it can’t be approved so long as you can show compliance to the applicable regulations.

And the fact that the faa has field approved at least 4 for me, and I know of a handful more. The way the faa inspector explained it to me was he is just going off the original approval.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m certainly open to recommendations. I was shot down at KEUL. Happy to travel if need be.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

I can only do Field Approvals on my DAR in the Baltimore FSDO area, but can do DER approvals anywhere. Pm me.

Hey, how about we leave the Police the heck alone and defund the FAA,LOL. I didn’t mean it lol.

Hey, how about we leave the Police the heck alone and defund the FAA,LOL. I didn’t mean it lol.
This has gone way past the LOL time frame. I wondered what would happen when an ex Airline Pilot ALPA type was placed in charge. My concerns have come to fruition, the "little people" in aviation have been pushed to the curb. The "FAA" in my district have over time moved their office from an airport, to another airport, to near an airport, to a remote office park and now in that location padlocks on the doors, need an appointment with a security pass and will not answer the phone.

35 years ago an FAA engineer in ANC told me that the FAA outside of Alaska thought that a small airplane was a King Air. Now it appears that the thinking has raised the bar to a 737.

algonquin, it is far more serious than just a LOL. A major overhaul is required with a BIG 337.​ They have lost their way.

Last edited:
I have seen the decline of knowledge and cooperation of the FAA for 20 plus years. Bureacracy, job security and ignorance about general aviation are contributing factors in my opinion. If you served in the military you go to the top of the hiring list. My FSDO is all retired military with only one inspector who had GA experience. If my inspector told me he couldn't FA a T3 I would ask why and then I would use the CAR3 requirements for tail gear to get it approved. I use to battle with the FAA regularly but now chose my fights carefully because of the time it takes.

I use to battle with the FAA regularly but now chose my fights carefully because of the time it takes.

There's a saying about that...."at some point you start to realize the pig is enjoying it".....

One of the serious problems with the Flight Standards "system" is that it's not a system. Every FSDO almost seems to have completely different rules they play by.....we went through that on the border of Minnesota and North Dakota. Put telemetry antennas on a Cub, field approved by Minneapolis FSDO. Fargo Maintenance Inspector came by at request of Minneapolis FSDO to inspect the local shop. Fargo guy said the Cub was unairworthy. We showed him the Field Approval....no matter.

He went back home and raised hell. The two maintenance chiefs wound up in the Chicago Regional Administrators Office. End result was they told them to stay in their own states......big help. A number of guys flying telemetry antennas based in ND. Guess where they were all approved?

MTV

Stewart did you ever install it? Too many moving parts and turning in rough stuff I think I could snap it pretty easily.

A little too much lateral play for my taste. I had a T3 in hand. I still have the parts for Backcountry's swingarm tail suspension. I installed a Pawnee spring.

DCADC957-B8A9-4BD8-9254-16EAF6AC2AD5.jpeg
I just installed the double shock model on the GlaStar with only log book entry, you got to love being your own manufacturer! Pirep this summer when I need to go somewhere faster than the Cubs.

Attachments

• DCADC957-B8A9-4BD8-9254-16EAF6AC2AD5.jpeg
    DCADC957-B8A9-4BD8-9254-16EAF6AC2AD5.jpeg
    268.2 KB · Views: 134
Back