• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

T3 field approvals?

willhash

Denver
Anyone try to get a field approval for the T3 tail suspension from Airframes yet? My IA would like at least one other and he's willing to try. Thx.

Will

Don’t see anything on the type certificate that mentions a leaf spring? Yea, I know everyone just knows that it is back there.

major alteration means an alteration not listed in the aircraft, aircraft engine, or propeller specifications -(1) that might appreciably affect weight, balance, structural strength, performance, powerplant operation, flight characteristics, or other qualities affecting airworthiness; or
(2) that is not done according to accepted practices or cannot be done by elementary operations.

minor alteration means an alteration other than a major alteration.

What are the reasons to install the T3? I wheel land so I can see, lift the tail on take-off as soon as it will come up which is quick, I don't land on big rocks, normally on sand and gravel mostly and see this as something else to fail and not easily be field repaired. Are folks seeing a huge advantage to the T3? Looks like a great design I just am curious how others use it.

I have one on my cub and like it. I land a lot in pastures and my runway is a wheat field. Not as much banging going on back there. The down side is it is taller than springs

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

What are the reasons to install the T3? I wheel land so I can see, lift the tail on take-off as soon as it will come up which is quick, I don't land on big rocks, normally on sand and gravel mostly and see this as something else to fail and not easily be field repaired. Are folks seeing a huge advantage to the T3? Looks like a great design I just am curious how others use it.

One of the best mods on a Rans S7 for taxiing over and/or 3pt landing on rough surfaces. Especially
if you’re making a first time off - airport landing in a place you haven’t walked before, more peace of mind rather then punishing the tail end of your plane. Just simply takes a whole bunch of stress out of the tail section. Well built piece of gear. Never personally heard of one failing.(?)
Went to Acme Aero Bush Shocks, T3 and 29” Airstreaks- if I owned a Cub, it would need the exact set up.
Keep in mind, these items are manufactured and sold by companies with great reputations.
Roddy

Before this turns into something it was not intended to be I have no issues with the quality of the product. I am merely asking how people are seeing the benefits. Things break period be it an anvil or a cylinder on an engine. I seem to keep my airplane simple unless I see a benefit in changing, adding or modifying it. The benefit has to out weigh the compromise which there always is one. Looks like there are several benefits to the T3 depending on what, how and where you operate. Hope to hear more.

Before this turns into something it was not intended to be I have no issues with the quality of the product. I am merely asking how people are seeing the benefits. Things break period be it an anvil or a cylinder on an engine. I seem to keep my airplane simple unless I see a benefit in changing, adding or modifying it. The benefit has to out weigh the compromise which there always is one. Looks like there are several benefits to the T3 depending on what, how and where you operate. Hope to hear more.

Steve if I flew off of a smooth surface and only landed off airport once in a while I would probably stay with a springs. But 90% of my take off and landing are off airport so I think it is worth it. Time will tell if it can hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Steve if I flew off of a smooth surface and only landed off airport once in a while I would probably stay with a springs. But 90% of my take off and landing are off airport so I think it is worth it. Time will tell if it can hold up.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

I am in the same boat but the off airport places I go are pretty smooth. I have talked to Dan several times and keep weighing it out in my mind.
IMG_20180617_093241.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20180617_093241.jpg
    IMG_20180617_093241.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 503
A little too much lateral play for my taste. I had a T3 in hand. I still have the parts for Backcountry's swingarm tail suspension. I installed a Pawnee spring.

It's like adding Dr School's to the rear of your plane. It stops most of the stress that the spring transfers to the frame, on every landing, even the smooth ones.
I have a dirt farm road crossing my runway that has 4" tire ruts. I used to fill it in after every rain. I don't even bother since installing the T3. Love mine.

Glenn

I’m with Glenn,

Totally eliminates elevator bounce felt thru the stick when on rough stuff.
Re lateral flex, way better than stock spring.
Nothings as stiff as a Pawnee spring because it’s designed for a 250 lb tail
and unnecessarily beats the crap out of the airframe in my opinion.
T3 is a good compromise.
Re loss of AOA: half inch alum spacer block between front mount pad corrects TW angle.
might also allow the steering head to hit rudder when totally compressed, one ought to take the spring off and check full range of travel before taking my advise.

T3 assy weighs about the same as a Pawnee spring BTW.
I rarely fly over 1500 lbs, so, can’t speak for heavier applications.

Last edited:
You would need to do drop tests to get an approval. You need to show compliance to CAR 3.352.

David

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gabe at Airframes said they have several customers working on approvals and would update the website when and if they can get copies of those.

Will

i agree but I think the steering head angle is too steep and makes for a floppy tailwheel during ground ops.
Not my experience at all. One person in the plane, or two, steering remains excellant.
(Matco tailwheel assembly attached to the T3, also good equipment).
Roddy

You can get the AOA back once moving because the T3 will compress when pulling back on the stick

Glenn
Hmmm? So with the spring compressed, how well does it traverse the bumps? It seems that you would be sacrificing the advantages of the T3 for angle of attack. Perhaps it would be advisable to increase the diameter of the main tires when the T3 is installed in order to retain the angle of attack if it is that critical?

You can get the AOA back once moving because the T3 will compress when pulling back on the stick

Glenn

But, do you really want to to so on rough terrain? I prefer to get the tailwheel OFF the surface, not put more pressure on it.

MTV

About a month ago saw a YouTube video on Facebook about a composite Tailwheel spring. Can’t find it now.
Anyone know about this.?

A friend sent me some pictures. I hear it has withstood installation on a Husky which I believe are heavier on the tail than a Super Cub. Only issue I see is taking weight off the wrong end.

About a month ago saw a YouTube video on Facebook about a composite Tailwheel spring. Can’t find it now.
Anyone know about this.?

Thomas Dietrich (Solo Aviation) in Germany produced a composite tail spring for Huskys.

MTV

It's like adding Dr School's to the rear of your plane. It stops most of the stress that the spring transfers to the frame, on every landing, even the smooth ones.
I have a dirt farm road crossing my runway that has 4" tire ruts. I used to fill it in after every rain. I don't even bother since installing the T3. Love mine.

Glenn

I would consider moving the road!:lol:

Anyone know about this.?

Early in my project I considered a composite leaf spring for the tail. I even talked to a manufacturer who was interested in making it for me. I had more on my plate than I needed so I never followed through.

Corvettes have used composite leaf springs for as long as I can remember so obviously they aren’t a new idea.

I saw a pic on Facebook not long ago that appeared to be an Acme Aero Fab tail suspension being tested. No info on Acme’s website.

Back