• If You Are Having Trouble Logging In with Your Old Username and Password, Please use this Forgot Your Password link to get re-established.
  • Hey! Be sure to login or register!

Sutton Exhaust Hole In TAil Pipe.

Sorry for the smart aleck remark at your expense but that was some low hanging fruit.:lol:

Seriously though, was there something on that spot that might have been corrosive that over time softened/thinned the metal? I dont know what it could have been.

She is a bit rusty, I don’t know what kind of metal Sutton uses... just know it ain’t stainless

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Could that happen due to over-leaning? Or would the valve get burnt first?

Bob, I doubt it would be because of that, seems like its pretty far down stream for it to burn there and not further up stream but I could be wrong.

Kurt

That doesn't look like a Sutton tail pipe. All the ones I have installed or worked on were stainless and either a one piece pipe coming off the muffler or a slip joint with I need clamp holding the tailpipe on. Do you have a good picture of the tailpipe to the muffler?

In my paper work i have both STCs for leading edge and sutton. Very curious as to what you all think. It def. doesnt look like sutton though, I agree.

It looks like a Sutton that was previously shortened and then a pipe was welded back on. Junk steel.

I agree with Jim, would be easy to install another tailpipe if they had used the slip over part and clamp from Sutton.

E49D81B9-B909-41FA-9C41-E0B2CAD4BB4B.jpeg

This is is my Sutton tailpipe. I agree that’s not a Sutton tailpipe. It looks like some scabbed together fix.

Attachments

• E49D81B9-B909-41FA-9C41-E0B2CAD4BB4B.jpeg
    E49D81B9-B909-41FA-9C41-E0B2CAD4BB4B.jpeg
    170.1 KB · Views: 403
Welding job certainly is scabbed, imo. Does Sutton offer a slip over, I could not see pricing on their website for such options

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

Yes they do. Call them and they will send the tail pipe and clamp. Not sure if it will fit over where yours has been welded though.

The weld is on the outside of the cowling, so please correct me if im wrong, but that should be plenty for a slip over an clamp.

Here is a picture of the cut off tail pipe that the Sweden tail pipe clamps onto. I can measure the outside diameter tomorrow .
20171222_134852.jpg

Attachments

• 20171222_134852.jpg
    20171222_134852.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 937
IMG_1274.JPGIMG_1273.JPGIMG_1275.JPG

Motor mounts got warm and started sagging on me too, that’s the rubbing in one of my pictures.

2 separate welds though on the scaberry. I don’t know how much length needed for the slip on.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org mobile app

Attachments

• IMG_1274.JPG
    IMG_1274.JPG
    560 KB · Views: 290
  • IMG_1273.JPG
    IMG_1273.JPG
    387.5 KB · Views: 274
  • IMG_1275.JPG
    IMG_1275.JPG
    143 KB · Views: 263
You need to trim the hole in your cowling bottom a little bigger to prevent rubbing. Look at Steve’s picture for reference.

The way I see it you have two coices, patch the hole and have more issues or remove the muffler and send it to Dawley and have them weld a new tail pipe on.

019.jpg020.jpg021.jpgAnyone have a used sutton muffer assembly?. Dawleys just confirmed repairable cracking. Silver lining, however, is i am glad it was found because of the definite possibility of exhaust leaking into the cabin was found.

Attachments

• 019.jpg
    019.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 239
  • 020.jpg
    020.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 247
I bet $100 it comes back as a new part. Out of all the Suttonsystems I have installed and maintained over the years the only issue I have had was the tabs for the end caps on the heat shroud breaking off and they beefed them up. I would ask Dawley how much and what they will do to it. Never seen them weld cracks, usually replace the part.

You are correct, the shroud is salvageable along with the clamps according to Kurt. Muffler assembly is done.
You would certainly win that bet Steve.

Sent from my iPhone using SuperCub.Org

No, you are wrong, Mike. But Bless your heart for trolling my post tonight.

A big glimmering sheen of fresh metal I would have noticed in a preflight.

It was 90 degrees out and I flew for 2.5hrs. When I landed it was developed and that’s when I noticed the rub after refueling and during a A PRETRIP, LOL. I knew the mounts were going to have to be done at annual, but the long flight and heat forced the issue up a month. I called some other pilots and mechanics and it ran by them. On good advice and another cub pilot who happened to be around for another set of eyes I Got her home to the hanger and then to annual right away.

Randy Rubbert installed the system, Mike. He is one of the best, however some ass that owned it before me welding on the extension was the biggest part of the issue, according to Brian Sutton.

I will let him know of your opinion though:)

Sent from my iPad using SuperCub.Org

Looks like an installation issue to me by whoever welded the pipe on. I maintain a couple of Sutton systems with well over 1000 and one over 1500 hours with no issues. My thoughts are the extra weight and of that tail pipe and why did they weld it on like that. I know someone who hit a power line with one, bent the tail pipe and tweaked the whole system but didn't crack.

Back